welovemarmite

We're all planning walk in runs! PART 3!

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m576/Clucker1/066.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m576/Clucker1/068.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m576/Clucker1/067.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m576/Clucker1/070.jpg

I hope this works!! Never done it before. The pics are of the frames being painted and erected. We ordered it all from Avaries4u and Lewis delivered it and OH erected it, which was easy peasy!!! Even I could have done it, Lewis had predrilled all of the holes so all you had to do was go round with an electric screwdriver thingy and off you go. A very solid run and very well made. More pics to follow when I have got some of the girls in their new Palace which they are settling into nicely. We need more wood chips as they are rather low down at the moment ie it isn't the right height. It is quite funny as you can see their heads poking around. Anyone any ideas of chicken toys for their new palace? So far they have logs, an old workbench thing which Cluck likes to perch on. Any other ideas? Cluckingham Palace (cube purple)GNRGNRPPPP

Edited by Guest

We used Cuprinol colour shades, "wild thyme". I know what you mean about those girls, especially the pepperpots...that one in particular, Victoria is the BOSS and always wants to know what we are doing with her "territory"!! OH did some alterations to part of the WIR today so the cube roof could work properly. You should have seen the look Victoria gave him!! (cube purple)GNRGNRPPPP .....oh and just remembered, when we bought it, Homebase had £5 off it too

When I was planning my WIR I spent lots of time on here looking at what everyone else had done and I got so much inspiration - thank you everyone!

This is what I have ended up with in my very small garden and I am pretty proud of it:

IMG_0354.jpg

So you should be proud of it, looks lovely and you've done a great job! :clap::clap:

I am incredibly spoilt aren't I :lol:

No name for the run yet. Sometimes they get named after the occupants, ie it's still always going to be "Bill's Run" even though Bill is long gone, and sometimes they are named for purpose ie the "Love Shack" which is where Rodney and his ladies stay in the springtime :wink:

I will see what suits it in time :D

Sounds like a good plan, they'll have lots of room. Is he starting now or making you wait until Spring :D

Sam how's it going. Sorry not to have replied, bet it's built now. I'd still keep the house outside the area even though it is quite big.

Just looking through this thread for inspiration and saw Plum's reply (in November) to a post I'd made in August '10!

No, the WIR's hadn't been built by then, but we are working on it this week!

Slight change of plan though. As our Cube has a 1m Omlet run attached, we've decided to put the WIR at the end of the run, so the door from the run leads into the WIR, so they still have the protection of the Omlet run if need be. The WIR will have corrugated plastic on to so it will stay dry(and sits on soil. The Cube and run are on paving slabs (currently with bark in the run).

I have a queston - if they have access to the big covered run, do we still need to put something (ie. bark) on the paving slabs, although this area isn't under cover and just has the Omlet shade on it and does get wet?

My omlet stand alone walk in run (with a 1 metre extention) has arrived. Yeh!!! Now I'm looking at the boxes a bit bemused and wondering whether to start putting it up today with about four hours of daylight left, or get up and start at break of dawn on saturday. I'm having a hot chocolate at the mo whilst perusing the instructions....

Thanks for the welcome :-)

Ive had a good look at the instructions but left it tll saturday. That way if I find it difficult I have the whole weekend.I read reviews re ease of putting it up and got a mix of oppinions and given that I hate DIY........

I live too far away for the lovely omlet man to put it up :-(

I have four hybrids; Clara,Gertrude (Gerty), Maggie and Peggy. They Have the run of the garden at the moment but I worry about mr fox hence the run. Cant wait for them to be safe and happy in the new run, will keep you posted!

Bye for now

The run is up, just in time for them to go to bed! It took 6 hours to put up (first two on my own). My brother in law came to help; so glad he did or it would not have been finished today. The girls spent the last hour in it before bed time and didnt seem to mind being confined to it they were just happily scratching around for worms etc. I think its probably ok space wise for my four and possibly two more, once I get my cube next year :-)

I will try to post some pics in the next couple of weeks. I want to get some floor covering for it and put some logs and other interesting items in there for them, as well as a seat for me.

After months of hesitation, we gave in and built a WIR. The mudbath around the cube was unbearable and quite dangerous for the humans. And they really killed everything alive in their run, a part from the bushes.

I have no idea how to put pics here, so there is a link to the album, I hope it will work. We used an existing shed, and the pull-out trays and the roosting bars of the cube, we won't need them now for the winter. This is their winter accommodation, kb half the size of the summer run with the electric fence, but 6 hens must be happy in 12sqm for 5 months.

A lot of the material are recycled from other projects, which makes me extra happy :) We need to add the finishing touches, a couple of safety latches and similar, but is functional and very robust.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112990074968617826619/albums/5682292217935549041

Hi all,

Hubby has just agreed to a WIR so I'm sitting here all excited trying to get ideas from all your posts.

Couple of quick questions....

We currently have the cube & extended run on soil & periodically I throw down chippings.

When we build the WIR we are planning to have the cube on the outside of the run. (with inward opening door!)

Should we have a slabbed floor put down or stay with the soil base?

What are the differences/benefits between having wood chippings or gravel type flooring?

We do have foxes and rats in the area, however the only rats I have seen in our garden have been dead and brought home by the cats ( who have also bought home a sparrowhawk & someones prize parrot!!)

We are planning a roof so hopefully we won't have the mud baths that we have at the moment. Just trying to get my thoughts together and what is best for the ladies both from a comfort & hygiene/maintenance point of view.

Should we have a slabbed floor put down or stay with the soil base?

Opinion is generally equally divided on the forum. I have a soil centre with slabs round the edge but I know lots of people like a totally solid floor. Solid is perhaps easier to clean (although I don't find mine a problem) but won't give the hens earth to scratch about in - not an issue if they freerange a lot though.

What are the differences/benefits between having wood chippings or gravel type flooring?

I personally would recommend horse bedding like Easibed, Aubiose etc. They work really well if you have a covered run. They also compost well.

We are planning a roof so hopefully we won't have the mud baths that we have at the moment. Just trying to get my thoughts together and what is best for the ladies both from a comfort & hygiene/maintenance point of view.

Corrugated plastic sheeting works well for me but it needs to be really well secured if you have high winds!

Thanxs Ain't "Ooops, word censored!"ody Here, currently reading through the 'lets share' posts. Think I've decided I really like my current soil/scratch system. Just need to sort out the main ingredient.

I'm currently using easibed in the coop and wood chipping on the run floor. I just read that someone throws his bedding onto the floor..is this normal? I throw mine into the composter/bin!! Am I being wasteful!! :wall:

I thought I had got to grips with chicken keeping...nearly 2 years down the line.....I'm such a novice!! :doh:

Yes, our garden is on 2 levels and the coop is on the 2nd level and does have a high degree of wind. We currently have the whole area surrounded by fence with an Army sheet bungied over the run to keep the wet weather off. I love your idea of 'roll down blinds' so will be on ebay later to source some heavy duty plastic to make them.

Me thinks that hubby thinks this is a summer project... :shh: does he realise my summer starts early in my diary :shh::dance: