welovemarmite

We're all planning walk in runs! PART 3!

Hooray! Hubby is on board for building a WIR. Then I can start pestering him about adding a Cube to our flock, then more chickens, then add ons, then take over the world. Okay, probably not that. Inspired by all of you we are measuring out and planning the WIR today. We'll be slowly gathering materials and I'll keep everyone updated.

Let the chickens out to free range last night for the first time since they moved into Versailles. And the first place they went to was........the run of their old eglu.

Poor hubby was devastated...

I think this is what parents must feel like when they buy their kids an amazing toy for christmas and they spend more time playing with the empty box.

Well here is out little wir in progress. As you can see space has been a bit limited, its not in our backgarden but to the side of the house attached to the extension.

03052011023.jpg sorry its in shadow, there's log steps leading up to the platform where the 'go' will sit, and the platforms carry on around the sides (decking boards) providing some extra roaming space. Will also prob put some more perches in too. Mesh should be arriving tomorrow along with the house, then I can hang the door and access hatches.

This is the view from my kitchen window, and I just step out the backdoor, open the hatch to my immediate left and collect eggs, and the hatch under that one is where I change food and water, all from under my porch, so I don't even need to put shoes on or get wet if its raining.

03052011026.jpg

And here running down from it is what is currently a driveway (3 car lengths) = now to be converted to chicken land! the far end of the fence panels is going to be gated and most of the brickweave pulled up and put down on the front lawn and the lawn dug up and moved to the drive way here, so houses and runs remain on paved areas but the rest will be grass for the girls to free range and scratch around on. As there will be the odd occasion that access will be needed to the garage I cant have permanent wir on this part, but I will sort out small broody coops and runs for breeding pekins. so the flock can grow :)

03052011024.jpg

looks fabulous but if my chickens were that close I'd end up burning dinner every night - they are such a lovely distraction :lol:

and what a cute car too - what is it?

Its a VW type 3 variant (Squareback) its just been sold and is to be collected this weekend, so I have chicken room lol!

The room that the wir is attached to is our dogs room, so I will be interested to see how loopy they send her tapping on the window lol!

Omlet house just arrived!!!!! off to go and build.

After seeing some of the walk in runs on here I caught the bug and decided to have a go at one myself. I have never built anything like this before so it was a bit of a learning experience (also gave me an excuse to buy a circular mitre saw to play with)

All the wood is from Wicks and the 1" mesh from Hills of Devon. It measures approximately 3m x 2m so plenty of space for our three chickens to scratch about in. Lots of shade and shelter from the cherry tree but about half of it gets sun all day long so they arent living in the dark. Its sat ontop of about 7-9 inches of heavy breeze blocks buried under the ground all the way around so there is a barrier there to stop any foxes trying to get in. The green colour was inspired by another poster on here from the pictures of their run.

IMG_0229a.jpg

Technical question! We have just erected our WIR with cube on the outside. We bought it from Avaires4u, absolutely fab on that score. Has anyone overcome the MAJOR problem (we hadn't thought about this!!) of not being able to slide the cube roof and access the cube. Pics to follow....but a bit stressed at the moment!!!! about not being able the cube properly and being able to clean it out. (cube purple)GNRGNRPPPP

What about wheeling the house back when you want to do the clean.

I've got an opening for the roof to slide forward. OH made a panel with a curve to fit above the roof with just enough room for it to slide. :D Others have done similar

rundone033.jpg