welovemarmite

We're all planning walk in runs! PART 3!

Ouch! Quote is waaaay more than we can afford. But I love the run I've designed. I may just have to take on a second job to finance it...or just do a bit of extra on the side...anybody want me to deliver their baby for a donation to the Run Fund? :lol:

Tx

We had to save up for quite some time before we could go ahead - was worth every penny ... :dance:

Get that second job! You'll have the cash before you know it!

Hi everyone,

Well i am abit fed up with my cube run @ the moment & am finding my girls hard work.

Plus i have a big fat rat eating my chicken food! :shameonu:

I have a (cube purple)GNRGNRGNR (i lost a girl at the weekend :( )

I think i'd be much happier if i have them in a run i can walk in, clean etc with a solid paved floor especially as i only have a smallish garden.

How much do you think it would cost to have a walk in run about the same size as a 3mtr cube run?

Also do you still let your girls free range alot? or do they stay in the walk in runs?

Hi everyone,

Well i am abit fed up with my cube run @ the moment & am finding my girls hard work.

I have a (cube purple)GNRGNRGNR (i lost a girl at the weekend :( )

I think i'd be much happier if i have them in a run i can walk in, clean etc with a solid paved floor especially as i only have a smallish garden.

How much do you think it would cost to have a walk in run about the same size as a 3mtr cube run?

Also do you still let your girls free range alot? or do they stay in the walk in runs?

I went for 5m x 2m in the end ... with lots of bells and whistles ... cost a lot but it is a world apart from the 3m cube run I had before. Was just over £800 delivered and installed. Will sell my old 3m run shortly to offset the cost :shh:

[

Hi everyone,

I have a (cube purple)GNR GNR GNR (i lost a girl at the weekend :( )

You should be able to get a 6ft x 9ft one for £200 Have a look at this site :Dhttp://www.bay-animal-housing.co.uk/Products.html

You can always add a corrugated roof and kick boards around the bottom for not much more.

I've just finished my Aviaries4U walk-in.

You can view the picture here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/ASDFriendly/MaximumSecurityChickenWing.jpg

As you can see I completely destroyed my lawn by building a shed and a walk-in run during three days of continuous rain. And digging out the foundations for a shed and chicken run was exhausting...

If anyone is considering a walk-in, they would do well to look at Aviaries4U. It's a very sturdy, well-built run and they included everything in the pack, including the right sized bit for my electric screwdriver.

We have-I think-decided what we are going to do! After speaking to o/h's friend we are going to buy a flatpack run-probably from 'Bay' and get him to put it up and add extra kickboards, roof and a 'skirt' at the bottom to weigh it down with.

I will be ordering the run in mid March and then order my eglu !gogreen! at the end of March. Am on list for some ex batts GNRGNRGNRGNR mid April

I have added to my collection of things I have already bought in preperation and now have

-Bungee cords-theyre on offer in Tesco- a 4 pack for £1 (in car section)

-Food scoop

-2 lots of log roll-maybe for a 'bridge' type thing within the run brand new from Freecycle today

-2 tyres-from o/h's brother for dustbath.

-2 offcuts of chain-to hang from roof bars for feeders etc

Sooooo excited-Ive sat and read the original WIR thread today and got more inspiration! :dance:

Looks good to me and you'll be able to see it before buying. I've got 16 on mine which is sturdy and foxproof. Standard one is 19 which is easier to work with and can be stapled on. :D 1x1" on my run but guess if you have little furry beasts around 1/2" may be better.

Great thanks :) i'll go for 19 and yes i have furry friends so going for 1/2"

Am gutted as the lady who was buying my shed has pulled out :( really want to put the chickens where it is but the next offer i've had is £100 less so dont know what to do :(

I just find the shed is in the way & once its gone i'll have more room :) however i still need somewhere for my bike so was gonna get a plastic store which is £100

oh well, i'm off to start cutting wood for my pannels :)

it's useful to read whatevery is saying about mesh, but I still can't decide..... I have two cats who catch a LOT of mice so I now there are lots of those about, but never seen a rat.... and people have told they've seen foxes in the fields, is the is the 16g much harder to work with. also the hills of devon site seems to grade their mesh in mm not g? help!!!!!!!

had 16 patio pavers and 6 fence posts and some sleepers delivered today though!

Hi all. I expect someone else has already mentioned this as an option but I am very pleased with my WIR. I bought a second hand aluminium greenhouse off of ebay, removed all the glass and replaced it with 1cm galvanised wire. I added a plastic corrogated roof. Plenty of room inside for my eglu and a prolific dwarf apple tree which provides my ladies with natural shade and tasty apples. I also managed to buy from a jumble sale 3 enormous perpex sheets (off of poster clip frames) which I move around the outside to protect them from really bitter winds. They must be happy as the are purebreeds and have not stopped laying all winter. The costs were £42 for the green house, ~£100 for the wire (though loads left over) and about £60 for the roof. So not too bad - and I have even managed to re-use the glass as cloches in the veg patch. My initial choice of the green house was to avoid any wood because of red mite, but off course this also means there is no need for wood treatments etc. so I guess there might be a long term saving there? Legs 11 (purple eglu)!eggbrown!!eggcream!!eggspeck!

excitement is building here in Boston...

the snow is melting and hubby is drawing the plans for my WIR - yippeee!

I feel some morehens symptoms coming on...

Gosh you had snow when we had snow didn't you?! You still have it?! :shock: I bet you didn't come to a stand still :lol: Good luck with the WIR :) PS - Remember to have an inward opening door! Biggest regret with ours, they try to escape, and they do escape :x:)

"PS - Remember to have an inward opening door! Biggest regret with ours, they try to escape, and they do escape :x :)"

yesssss....I discovered that the hard way on friday when chicken-sitting for a friend who's WIR opens outwards - chasing chickens round the garden in work clothes - not fun!