BERTIE MCSQUIRTY

waiting to go into hospital - bit stressy, but cant wait

Don't want to hijack a thread, but hoping that Bertie will be on here soon to let us know how brilliantly it all went, since I'm having mine two weeks today and am absolutely terrified now! Glad to hear that those ladies who have gone before have survived the experience - helps with the wobbles!

Hope you're feeling better now Bertie :)

hi all

well i eventually got in on tues and had my hysterectomy, via full cut , ovaries womb and cervix removed. everything went well......until thurs when my wound split so the hospital dressed it and kicked me out! saying i would be better to recover at home :shock: (i also developed a urine infection) - i was in complete shock!

on friday i called out the Gp as i was constantly being sick, had diarroeah, and felt very vulnerable. he was happy with wound (agreeing the bugs to catch at home are better than in hospital) and i have since had distric nursing round to dress said wound, i am off the antibiotics for urine infection as the dr reckons this is causing the sickness and unwell feeling

having said all this..i feel remarkably well considering this has all happened within the last 5 days and am sleeping between 11 -18 hours a day at present (getting less each day). and everyone is doing everything for me :D

so whilst not the perfect recovery at present, i am happy with my progress :o

Don't want to hijack a thread, but hoping that Bertie will be on here soon to let us know how brilliantly it all went, since I'm having mine two weeks today and am absolutely terrified now! Glad to hear that those ladies who have gone before have survived the experience - helps with the wobbles!

Hope you're feeling better now Bertie :)

out of the whole ward i was the only one who had problems, there was definatley an electrifying buzz around the patients. i think i split my wound by not using my arms to get out of my bed.....get the nurses to guide you through this. i feel great, no pain down below, just the odd twinge where the staples are tightening when i move, and incredible tiredness so far but its getting better each day

Glad to hear you are OK Bertie :D . I split my wound too, by stretching in bed after I had the staples removed! I never noticed until I was 3 weeks post op, then had to go to the GP, that was an expedition!

The tiredness takes ages to go, I found, so take it steady, and have a lie down in the afternoon. I found I really needed this and still did it off and on for quite a while. At that point you think you are getting nowhere, but take it easy, it can be two steps forward and three back some weeks!

Take care :D

That sounds pretty positive Bertie :D just take it slowly - the GA gives your system a real hammering and it take ages to get it out of your body too. You can ease any tension (and trapped wind!) in your tum by lying on your back, bring your heels in towards your bum and your knees up. Keeping the top of your body flat on the bed and gently (keeping them together) rock your knees from one side to another as far as feels comfortable. Don't forget to start those pelvic floor exercises as soon as you feel able.

:) Glad you are back home and now getting over the set-backs.

Like Henny Penny, I too am waiting to go in - July.

Please keep us updated and others too with experiences as I get the feeling any tips from omleteers for recovery will be invaluable :wink:

I won't be able to have HRT (unless desperate) so will have to go through the surgical menopause :(

Take care Bertie - hope you have a quick recovery

Bertie

Sorry to hear about the complications but glad you're sounding optimistic.

Good luck to those waiting. Main advice is get yourself organised so you have as little to do as possible afterwards. Rest afterwards ! make sure your family look after you. Get yourself some things to do to keep you occupied. I got addicted to House dvds afterwards as they needed little concentration and were a good length of time - you'd think I wouldn't have wanted to gory closeups of ops :lol:

If you have an adominal op you need to think about your scar and need very big pants for comfort on the scar.

Oh and you can mix different over the counter painkillers and generally it is recommended to take them as they have anti inflammatory properties (check with your doctor for advice specific for you). Keep a small notebook and pen with them and jot down what you take and time so you don't take too many. Initially I was taking something every 2 hrs when I was awake so I did need to track it.

Well done for staying positive having had a rough time. You are definately better away from all those hospital bugs, no matter how clean the place is.

Hope you are being spoilt and able to gaze at your newly decorated areas (house not your belly!). Get iplayer on and catch up on some tv. Wallander (BBC) was good from sat night that'll keep you busy for 90mins, not too much Jeremy Kyle or you'll be suicidal.

Good luck SarahJo, hope you're not too nervous.

I have no personal experience, but I have two close friends who have recently gone through this, and both say it was absolutely the best thing they have ever done, and if they'd known how brilliant they would feel afterwards they would have had it done sooner

Tips that I can think of....

1. Make up some homemade meals to go in the freezer

2. buy big, control pants - you don't want hipster knickers that cut into the scar and the control idea keeps the post-op swelling from wobbling and making your tum hurt.

3. Lots of Arnica pillules

4. Milton wipes for cleaning things in your room in the hospital.

5. DO REST - I'm normally a study in perpetual motion, but even I learned to put my feet up and relax. i got loads of reading done as i don't watch TV.

been and had my stitches (well staples) taken out today.

lovely and clean and you can tell there will hardly be a visible scar despite the 30 that they took out today :shock:

my tummy has gone down a bit today as well and i'm feeling a bit more human as yesterday we did some window shopping in town for an hour and i think the walking around helped

so .....its looking good

:clap: Great news Bertie - glad you are up and about a bit.

Are you on HRT or doing the surgical menopause - you dont have to answer publicly, PM me if you like :wink:

I will not have HRT if possible due to risks of hormones in my case, so will face the meno after surgery :(