BERTIE MCSQUIRTY

waiting to go into hospital - bit stressy, but cant wait

im due to go into hospital for a hysterctomy, was cancelled yesterday and discharged home, got to ring in morning for bed date.

i was dreading sitting in my lounge staring at the grubby walls which are damaged due to leak in the outside blown rendering last year,(and also small handprints) and i have been refusing to paint it until it is sorted, but finding a plasterer to do a little job has been troublesome.

my friends have been fab, i have a mountain of people appearing this week to decorate for me whilst i was "away".

tomorrow my friends hubby will be here at 9 to chop out and re plaster, i didnt ask him to do the job despite him being an experienced plasterer - because he is terminally ill and not in good health, but his wife (one of my closest friends) says he is really looking forward to it and he cant wait! - he says it makes him feel really useful and will lift him out of his depression

my other friend and her husband are arriving on friday to paint and paper up the stairs and hopefully the lounge (if fairly dry, and carpet cleaning is being done by my other friend. all in all i have 6 people sorting the room out for me.

i feel so lucky and priviledged to have such kind friends, i am a bit tearful and choked at their kindness...i'm hoping to while away my recovery time reading, and making shopping bags with hopefully my new found gift of a sewing machine on the "free to good home" section

It'll take a little getting over, just don't push yourself too far too soon (I did, but I'm always like that! :) )

Glad to see you have such good friends to help and support you, good luck on your hospital stay...and enjoy the rest! ;)

Good luck for your op and what lovely friends you have :D

I had mine in 2005 and have never regretted it. They say 6 weeks to recover but of course everyone is different and you just need to listen to your own body, if you know what I mean, I was lucky as I got over it relatively quickly :)

Lisa P

Hope it all goes well. I was told by various docs that it's very similar to a c-section which I have had. Was terrified but it was quick and fine, and the recovery went quite quickly. An important tip - avoid comedy. Laughing is agony. Properly agony. I'm not joking. So watch miserable TV and ensure family and friends frown at you for the first two weeks! I also found putting a blow-up mattress under the sofa (I slept downstairs for a couple of weeks too) cut down on abdominal stress in the early days because the raised height helped, as did a raised loo seat. God, that was a blessing! £20 in tesco direct or argos. Or wee in the shower if it's really hard getting up or down. They recommend that for post-preggo recovery too. Why not? :wink:

Good luck Bertie! I had mine over 11 yrs ago and it's one of the best things I ever did - I've never regretted it. Just listen to your body afterwards and if it says rest, then you rest. Mine told me to hoover the stairs after a week, but my husband told it not to! :lol:

You have wonderful friends - can you send them round to me when they've finished please. :)

Good luck with it Bertie - and welcome to the club! I'm 15 weeks post hysterectomy and feel amazing! Best thing I ever did! Everyone is very different in their recovery as well - I do have a light job and only part time so started myself on a phased return at 4 weeks post op. Compared to how I felt pre-op I felt fantastic! :lol:

Take it easy and don't try to over-do it like I did :roll: I'm not one to rest-up but had to lie down.

Tip: some close fitting waist high pants - anything lower will put pressure on your scar and knickers with some support will hold your swollen tum and stop it from pulling. I took tons of Arnica and the docs were amazed at the lack of bruising and speed of recovery.

I had a full hysto in July 2008 and have never regretted it. I was lucky in having the workings removed through the lady garden, so no scar for me but I had to do the same as everyone else and lay about the place :clap: And eat alot of chocolate as well........

Great friends indeed! Good luck, hope all goes well for you.