squiffs

Chicken of fate? - Update - 29/04/2012

My OH had a knock at our door today, someone asking if we kept chickens, and that one of ours had escaped. Sure enough there was a chicken in our driveway, but it wasn't one of ours. We don't live in a rural area, it's very built up with 2 main roads either end of ours that people use as a rat run, it's a miracle she's survived the journey here.

She looks like an ex-batt, or a chicken in moult. Either way, she's an old girl with a big floppy comb. She's in a catbox in the outhouse for now, she had cuts on her feet so we put septi-cleanse on them and she has a coup cup with pellets and a small bowl of water.

I'm not sure where she's come from, as no one around here is missing a chicken (or won't own up to it), if no one claims her, she'll be our chicken of fate.

Suggestions on what to do? Except get her checked out at a vet, obviously. I'm suspicious that this little lady is spent and someone took it upon themselves to rehome her with us. Whilst I'll never turn her away if she's healthy and happy, I'm concerned about integrating her with my flock, so she'll be staying in the catbox for now and I'm not sure how to arrange giving her some free range time, or even a makeshift run :? she'll need a dusting with mite powder tomorrow too, just because I'm paranoid.

I have a couple of pics, but it's dark right now, I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow. Her eyes are a vibrant fiery orange colour, her crop is full, and she's eating like a trooper, she's also very feisty, she put up a fight when my OH caught her to bring her into the garden... But I can't help thinking 'what's wrong with her?!'

IMG02541-20110912-2121.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by Guest

Aww :( Hope she's okay

Thats so strange, you could understand if you were in a rural area to see a lost chicken...

Could have been dumped if she's giving up laying... if that's the case then that's so sad :cry:

I think shes in the best hands right now though, good luck and please keep us updated.

However, whilst the comb and feathers said 'ex-batt' to me, and she looks like your run of the mill ex-batt 'breed' - her plummage is pretty well intact for the most part, if a bit messy, and she can walk and run like there's no tomorrow - which is what suggested to me she may have been unwanted due to her age (reflected in her sizeable comb).

She does look like my ex-batts when they arrived - thin, pale, floppy comb and lacking feathers. Could also be ex-barn, which tend to be stronger on their legs and not as lacking in feathers. Wherever she came from, she's a very lucky girl to have found you :D !

If she is ex-batt she'll be rather confused initially, but they settle very quickly and curiosity soon overcomes fear, especially if they can see other hens out and about doing chookie things. I'd suggest keeping her separately for a few days to help her gain trust and build up some strength, and then gradual intros, maybe to one at a time to start with. It might be worth asking around or advertising on here or freecycle to see if anyone has a dog crate or rabbit hutch you could borrow to use as temporary accommodation, just till she's mingled with the others.

See her as your chicken of fate and a very, very fortunate chicken to have come to you :D

How did they know you kept chickens did you ask them? Could it have been the person knocking on your door had dumped her on you? She sounds lovely. Poor thing. I will be keeping any signs of being a chuck keeper very quiet - I live in a built up area too although i know of at least 3-4 other people in area who keep chucks. Good luck

They are a couple who live in a flat across the road from us. Spotted a chicken in the road and went to catch it, knocked on our door, they may have asked a neighbour either side and got pointed in our direction. They didn't know what to do with It, asked my OH what to do with it and where to put it, and then asked if he had somewhere to put it, seeing as we have chickens already. My mum suggested phoning the rspca and asking if they've got any spare hutches, as it would save them having to house it or try and rehome it. I'm not sure that approach would work though. I'll be on the hunt for a hutch with a run attached. I don't mind her sleeping in the cat box, it's the not letting her have space to stretch her legs that is an issue for me. I don't want her cooped up all day but she'll only work herself up if we try and catch her to put her back in... :think:

She's a fighter, wherever she's come from!
Asking to be named Boadicea or Xena then :lol:!

She'll stop pecking when she realises she doesn't have to fight for food, and that you are her friends and not going to harm her. A couple of mine were pecky when they were adopted and they soon give up and become friendly girls :D. If she's still very hungry after a few days, maybe worm her? Sounds like she needs all the nutrition she can get for herself, so it may be worth ensuring she's not feeding a tummy-full of parasites :vom: .

Wherever and whatever she's come from, she probably thinks she's in heaven now :D

I've been at work all day just getting picture message upon picture message from my OH throughout the day and I'm already besotted with the little mite. Can't wait to get this trip to the vets out of the way, and get a more permanent introduction accommodation set up for her so she can start getting acquainted with the others! A suddenly unexpected introduction to ex-batts!