squiffs

Chicken of fate? - Update - 29/04/2012

Xena update - it's been just over 6 weeks and Xena finally made her transition from eglu to cube with the other big girls last week :)

She's still a total tyrant at times, though not in a vicious way, she allows the other girls to eat their fill with the sole condition that at any time she can choose to peck the crumbs off their face.

We're getting an egg more often than not now, too :) She's beefing out in the feather department, her wings at the shoulder have some tiny dark brown colouring coming through, and her tail feathers have gotten rather depleted, I hope that's making way for new ones!

Thanks everyone - I'm sure Xena's story isn't quite finished, can't wait to see how she looks once her feathers have finished coming in, she'll look a different hen! It's very nice to look back at the first pictures of this thread and how scraggly she was, and see how much she's come on just in this time!

My nutty neighbour has been keeping quiet for the time being (it's not been garden weather, really, anyway). I doubt I'll hear anything from her until my postman leaves another parcel with them (might leave specific instructions from now on NOT to leave anything with that house, in case they hold it to ransom :lol: I didn't get any reply from environmental health - perhaps I'll try again).

So glad you posted the update, especially the photos :clap: She looks like she's coming on a treat .. what a character. I don't know who's the luckiest to have found whom :wink:

PS .. My 2 new ex-bats are also called Doris and Elsie (after 2 late Aunts !!)

I missed this... fab names ;) mine are after the comedy duo Doris and Elsie Waters, I'm sure next time I buy a pair of chickens (silkies, for my birthday, I already have it planned...) they will be called Gert and Daisy :)

Never did find out no, but I have seen quite a lot of rehabilitated ex-batts in the hen welfare trust magazine with similar coloured plummage going on - not sure if it's because her feathers are still new, she's got some dark ones on the tips of her wings that are teeny but definitely new. She's a big fluffy lady now :)