squiffs

Chicken of fate? - Update - 29/04/2012

I would try and take it slow, however depends on the hen really and if you have got time to watch etc. I seperated my 3 for 2 days and had to let them out, they looked so sad in the run, for the first 2 weeks they slept in the cube etc fine, but when they came into lay it all got a bit heated so we took them out for a week and then let them free range too, in 6 days they were putting themselves to bed in the cube and harmony was restored!!!

The two I'd introduce her to first are already laying, as is xena, so I wouldn't have to worry about that at first, I'm more worried about things like myco or other infectious diseases she could be carrying that may not be apparent just from looking at her. I'm not sure how much you can tell about a chook from a vet exam without taking samples.

I'm sure that the vet would have spotted anything like myco. Would she not have had a slightly runny nose and weezing or have I got it wrong?

I think this whole thread is really lovely and heart warming. :D With her sore feet I can't help but imagine her plodding down the road determindly to your house, little hankerchief on a stick over her wing/ shoulder. I think she sounds like a 'Ginger' from 'Chicken Run' (which I've only just seen the other day :oops: )

It is "Chicken Run", isn't it? And with a proper happy ending too :D. So good to hear Xena's blossoming in your care and got her little (healing) feet well and truly under your table!

Battery chooks are usually spray-innoculated against contagious diseases as the entire farm would be at risk otherwise. How about putting Xena outside in her hutch, so that she and your other girls can see each other, and watch how they get on.

When I've had new adoptees, my "old" girls usually stalk round the "new" girls in their cube run, shouting and bawling like it's the end of the world for a couple of days, and then forget them. I've then opened the run door so the newbies can come out at their own pace and done supervised mingling, with a water pistol at the ready should there be any unseemly behaviour :shock:. It's always going to be more difficult introducing just one but, from the sounds of it, Xena's not going to be the one getting picked on!

This is such a fab story & a true fairy tale ending. Battery hens are vaccinated against most things but be guided by your vet just in case. She seems to have the loveliest nature :D Bless. I would keep her along side but not in with your others for whatever quarantine period you decide on. Then carry out your intros as usual. She's really landed on her feet. Luck hen & well done you :D

I'm sure that the vet would have spotted anything like myco. Would she not have had a slightly runny nose and weezing or have I got it wrong?

I think this whole thread is really lovely and heart warming. :D With her sore feet I can't help but imagine her plodding down the road determindly to your house, little hankerchief on a stick over her wing/ shoulder. I think she sounds like a 'Ginger' from 'Chicken Run' (which I've only just seen the other day :oops: )

Myco does have visible symptoms, but only sometimes, a chook that survives myco will always carry it and there will be break outs in times of stress - I don't know much about diseases in poultry, so I'm not sure if there are any others I wouldn't spot that I should worry about.

My aunt works as an animator at aardman! :) chicken run is one of my favourites. Get the gerries! Hehehe.

Thanks everyone for your kind words during this surreal time!

When xena's hutch arrives on friday I'll set it up within sight of my posh girls, she's already come through the cat flap, so I guess we've got some thinking to do about keeping her out of her favourite place, the kitchen! She's just put herself to bed in the catbox :)

When xena's hutch arrives on friday I'll set it up within sight of my posh girls, she's already come through the cat flap, so I guess we've got some thinking to do about keeping her out of her favourite place, the kitchen! She's just put herself to bed in the catbox :)

LOL :lol::lol::lol:

LOL :lol::lol::lol:

she's turning out to be a real troublemaker! :lol:

she's already come through the cat flap, so I guess we've got some thinking to do about keeping her out of her favourite place, the kitchen! She's just put herself to bed in the catbox

:lol::lol::lol:

She's an inspiration (as are you, for all you've done for her :D ) From cage to kitchen - a real triumph of hope and determination over adversity :lol:

Go Xena!

I have loved this post - I suspect the chickens at the battery farm have a map of refuges and she made for yours - watch out Squiff - you may find several more on your doorstep - shes probably emailing them as we speak. Shes a lucky girl - had to laugh at the cat flap and bed - poor cat pushed out by a chicken :lol:

Thanks, we love her too :) Our intros between the existing girls have gone very smoothly the last couple of days, and I think that's because they can sense the big boss chookiness in her when they see her and don't want to start trouble. So she fits in beautifully. We've been letting her free range around the cube and eglus and she puts them in their place through the bars if they put their hackles up, they're so transfixed by her that they've stopped squabbling amongst themselves 8)