ClaireG

Any Mental Health Nurses?

As a parent I can't imagine the heartache and stress you must be going through :(

May I suggest a possible fairly inexpensive way to ensure that all the drugs in your house are safe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000T5K3Z8/ref=asc_df_B000T5K3Z84799301?smid=A2RLE7VQ2OV7MU&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B000T5K3Z8

This could be just what you need for peace of mind.

Best wishes to you and your family

Thanks Chrissie :)

Yes, it is very difficult. The swings arn't quite so big now he is on the meds but are still there and he is still difficult to manage. It's also effecting my YS, who is 12 and has his own problems, he is dyspraxic and dyslexic, quite badly as he is feeling quite left out as so much of my time has been taken up with my older son. Add in my own medical problems and i'm surprised i'm still standing!

We have a hurdle to get through tomorrow as the owner of the letting agents we rent from is coming out to speak to us. The neighbours have been complaining to them about various issues including noise and swearing etc and the amount of times the police are here. They even complained that an ambulance car had blocked their drive :roll:

The meeting didn't go well and we are on our final warning. If there is one more complaint, notice will be served.

Social Services came this morning. They filled in bits of paper with contact names and addresses. Looked at the boys rooms and said they need to see YS. ES will be appointed a social worker soon but i don't hold out much hope in getting help from them.

We went to see the Psych this afternoon ES now has a formal diagnosis, whilst that is good news, it is also bad news, as it's a disorder that can't be treated. Conduct disorder. The psych said there is no point in sending him for any talking therapies, as ES had a year of that in Oxfordshire and it did no good. He said the only thing that will help is id ES wants to change (can't see that really) and learns strategies to manage his behavior. He is sending some leaflets on anger management to ES (not sure what good it will do). He says if he writes a list every morning for 6 months with things on like when i'm angry i won't destroy property, when i'm angry i won't hurt people and when i'm angry i will go for a walk it will become second nature to do this. How do you get an angry defiant teen to do that though! He will see him again in 4 months to see if ES has decided to change or if he wants any talking therapy etc then if he doesn't then we will be discharged.

To say i want to scream and hit a brick wall is a great understatement. As soon as he gets his proper social worker i am asking if she can arrange any form of respite as we can't cope with this indefinably without some support at the very least.

Thinking of you, that is such a lot to deal with :( I wish I could offer some helpful advice. I hope that something clicks your ES and he starts responding to the help being offered. And I really hope you get some positive news soon. Sounds like you need a break. Sending you big hugs xxxxxxxxx

Oh dear, that's not the news you wanted to hear, I'm so sorry. I'm afraid you will need to be firm in your dealings with doctors and social services, they have a tendency to leave you to it unless you demand help - so don't be afraid to do that, put your assertive hat on and don't take no for an answer, easy though it is for me to say. Sending you a hug.

Claire I am sorry, I was hoping that any diagnosis would not be conduct disorder, for exactly the reasons you describe. It does need your son to make an active choice to engage with help and to want change, daunting for a distressed teenager and hard for them to do.

As others have said, you need to be very assertive with the social workers here and ask for the help you and your family need.

One thing that may be useful is to ask for a referral to the local service working with young people in danger of offending or becoming NEET - in our area they are called Targeted Youth Support - who provide mentoring and positive activities. I have seen quite a number of youngsters benefit from this type of support and make positive changes in their lives as a result. As well as supporting your son, they provide activities and trips away which will help give some respite to you and the rest of your family. From what you describe of your son's behaviour he would certainly qualify for this referral in our local area.