SAB

My dog ate my couch!

Help - my Great Dane Zuri who is 18 months old has eaten my couch! She had ripped the fabric by accident the other day but having done so has then proceeded to demolish the rest of it and try to eat all the foam innards. She is due to be neutered at the end of November and I am hoping this will calm her down but am not convinced. She is a very calm girl 80% of the time but can be quite bonkers the rest of the time (she is still young). So I find myself needing to buy a new couch but loathe to spend much for fear she will do it again as we have no idea what set herself off on this occasion. Any suggestions/advice would be welcome.

Claim on your house insurance and if you haven't got accidental damage, add it. I went to a talk by a vet sometime ago and he talked about all the rubbish in leading dog food companies and advocated a meat only diet ie rubbish free and said this helps with behavioural issues, although it sounds as if she did it because she is so young. He said he had been sucked in by the feed companies for years, advising his clients to give it to their dogs too. Then realised it could be behind allergies and behaviour issues and hasn't looked back since. Can't remember his name, but will have a think and post it if I remember.

Could've been worse - you might have been sitting on it. An elderly aunt since passed on RIP had a labrador who ate stiletto shoes, egg boxes with eggs in and any other junk including handbags he could get his mits on. Amazingly he only ended up at vets once. At a do she told me not to leave my clutch bag on table :anxious::anxious: as it wouldnt be there when I got back :lol: Yikes

When Ella (also of unknown parentage) was young she had a taste for concrete, mainly our kitchen wall :shock: We were trying to sell the house at the time and once had to hastily replaster a bit and paint before a buyer came around :roll:

I agree with others though, look at her diet.

Ikea do cheap sofas :lol:

Thanks everyone. You have made me feel I am not alone and given me a good laugh along the way :lol: . From watching the offender it seems that chewing is not actually the problem - what seems to happen is she starts a digging motion which leads to the fabric being ripped and it is only when the foam innards of the couch is exposed that she starts to munch!

Stagbars are also great for dogs who love chewing. They are pieces of deer antler, really really tough and last ages! Tango loves hers, she usually has a good chewing session a couple of times a day but the chews wear down very slowly, so whilst they are expensive they are good value as they last so long.

Can't agree more they're a huge hit in our house with dogs that enjoy chewing. We've had ours for about 3 months and are still being enjoyed.

Just to update - Stagbars have gone down a treat - got one for each dog, but Zuri the young dane refuses to let Smeagle the Beagle have any - mind you it is working a treat for Zuri's chewing ....perhaps one day we can get a decent couch again!

Glad to hear it. Can I suggest dotting some menthol (Vaporub is fine) on the bits he likes to chew; that will put him right off. :wink:

One would think it would put her off, but had already tried putting various smelling things, including menthol on - made no difference to her (and as she likes to chew anything we had to put it all over!) - but at least we had clear noses :lol: .

To be honest now she has reached the grand old age of 2 chewing things she shouldn't seems much less of a problem, but as it still happens occasionally, and apparently randomly, I will stick to cheap old couches for now!