jackian

Beginning to be concerned about holiday

We have had the girls now for 6 months and I have never left them with anyone before.We are off on holiday Christmas eve and coming back 10 days later.This was booked before we had the girls and the Canarie Islands are a long way to come back if there is a problem :roll:

We are leaving the 20 year old next door who loves animals and works in the village pet shop in charge ,why am I beginning to be concerned :?: He will be in charge of feeding and watering and poop scooping but of course as he is at work most days they won't get out of their 4m x 3m WIR. After 5 days my daughter will be coming up at lunchtimes to let them out for a FR even if it is just for an hour... .Help please ,how do others cope with this , :?: I don't wan t to spend the whole holiday concerned , I am sure I won't ... but

I took my hens to stay at the place I got them from as 'holiday hens'. I'm sure they were looked after but I know they weren't happy as one stopped laying for weeks after and the other was even more skittish than normal. So the last two times we went away our kind neighbours (both well past 70) looked after them. They popped in 2/3 times a day - morning, evening and when they could in between. The girls seemed just the same when we came back and our neighbours loved the experience. I think if this lad is a neighbour and has pet experience he should be fine. Things happen even when we are at home ourselves, but at least our girls have 'the good life!' Just make sure he has the number of a local vet or family (just in case). Have a good holiday.

Jackian - If I can go away for 3 weeks leaving my 20 year old son (who at the time had his arm in a sling due to separated acromioclavicular joint), who has no great love of animals to look after my Amy chicken (and the other 5) only 5 days after she was severely mauled by a dog then you will have no problem with your neighbour. My son had to clean 2 horrid wounds twice a day with betadine, spray with gentian, and get baytril and metacam into a chicken who would not eat. One handed. He was a star :dance: and the responsibility taught him a lot. 10 weeks on you would hardly know Amy had been hurt :o Just leave a comprehensive instruction sheet. Just ask for picture message once a week as reassurance. Or skype if your wifi reaches the garden :lol:

Does he know about this forum ? He can always post 'stupid' questions here if he has any problems.

Are there any local Omleteers who could pop round if necessary ?? or simply speak on the phone (Snowy offered to do this for me when my neighbours chicken-sat - its never been necessary, but I felt happier knowing she would, if required)

He sounds OK to me - if he wants to talk to someone about something specific, he can PM me and I'll give him my number.

I'm sure it will be OK (I worried just as much over this).

Enjoy your holiday, H

I went away recently and left the girls being looked after by a professional pet sitter. She popped over every 2 days and fed and watered them and cleaned them out as needed. She was very professional and charged £10 per visit. We were away for 12 days so in total it cost me £60. She also made sure the house didn't look empty, watered the garden and vegtable patch and picked up the post etc. Have a look on google and see if there is anyone similar. The lady I used was police checked and insured and I had to give her details about which vet I would use etc. Unfortunately I am in Surrey so not much use for you but when I was looking there seems to be lots of people willing to do this. They also feed cats and rabbits etc. Have a nice Holiday :mrgreen:

The longest we've been away was a week, and it didn't stop us worrying, even though I'd left written instructions and we had family come over daily, we'd portioned out the food and put everything they'd need ready and to hand so our family member could find it.

It's normal, and you will worry what your girls are up to. But so long as you've got someone checking in on them they will be fine, and so long as you've got good size feeders and water bowls, our 4 girls could go about 3-4 days without top up, it's only for extra precautions that we had a family member go every day thankfully very willing to as well.

But enjoy your holiday, when you think of all the poor chooks that spend their lives cooped up with no more than a piece of A4 paper sized space to exist in, your girls are truly lucky and pampered girls. :)

We are lucky and have a chicken-keeping neighbour, but I would say your neighbour sounds ideal. I wouldn't worry about lack of FR - your run is huge for just three chooks, and they should be quite happy staying in there together. I've got 4 big girls and 5 bantams in a similar sized run and don't worry about leaving them in there if we are away.

Thank you for your replies, I am reassured and not thinking straight ...Until tomorrow :lol: I think the answer is a good list and phone number all though I have just remembered there is a "chicken man " in the village, I am sure he would be glad to give any urgent advice.

I remember the first time we went away for Christmas and did not have the family up to stay & feed & drink ..I felt guilty as hell for the first day .The Winter sun ,sea and sand and the peace and quiet soon calmed me down .

I think I am the same as a lot of people ,think I am indispensible .

I left our 4 girls for 2 weeks in the Summer with our next door neighbour who is scared to go in the run when they are around. So, she topped up the feed when they were in the cube. I was worried as they had no free ranging as in their more than adequate WIR for over 2 weeks. Needless to say, I need not have worried. The girls were pleased to see me when I got back (well that is what I told myself) and they were in eggscellent health too. I think it is only natural to worry about them, it shows you care. I am sure they will be fine.....I left my next door neighbour with 2 contacts of people up the road who are chicken eggsperts. GNRGNRGNRPPPP(Bluebelle)(cube purple)

There are far less potential risks to them in their run, it may be best not to let them free range at all as one could vault the shed or they might not want to come in leading to a 'shall I risk it and leave it' situation

You'd be welcome to my number if you want to pass it on in case of emergencies, I am always happy to give advice over the phone :D