Lesley Posted February 10, 2012 Share Posted February 10, 2012 I've now sorted through 20 years worth of photographs and disposed of half - I've kept some beauties for future 18th/40th etc. and I've sorted kitchen cupboards and taken duplicate bakeware to the hospice shop. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 I have loads of "stuff" but had a massive cleanout of my wardrobes just before Christmas when my room was decorated. Uni isn't too bad 'cos only been living in the house for a year but do need to sort out what I need to keep, chuck and take home! We had the loft converted a few years ago so just have a walk in cupboard thing up there now... needs sorting with everything putting into labelled boxes + shelves putting up to put the boxes in, will probably be a Summer job! You literally can't walk into our garage its that full of stuff Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 I got some brilliant shelving from Aldi at £20 per set, I have used it in the attic to store the stuff that's in archive boxes. Just freecycled a sheet of MDF and some electric trunking that I have no need for. Small steps.... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 A couple of after photos of the garage. We have recycled some of the stuff, but in all honesty, there was so much used, broken stuff that was kept "just in case" it was ridiculous. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 *sighs* I'd love a garage.... I need to sort out the shed; ideally it needs replacing, I have had it for nearly 20 years now and it wasn't new when I moved here. I have replaced the roof felt twice in that time but the timbers under the felt are now rotten. It's only about 6' x 4', so I might treat myself. I have a shelving unit to go in there to help with organisation. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 I like having one again For the stuff that we did actually want to keep! I bought a couple of the Keter Plastic sheds. They are a bit expensive, but they are so much better than the wooden ones, same principal as Eglus I suppose Maintenance free. Dry, they seem to be more rodent proof that my old wooden ones too. I got the first one from Costco a 6 x 8 a few years ago and was very impressed, these last two had to fit into smaller spaces and were 7' wide x 3.5' deep. I got these ones from Tesco direct. It is definitely worth shopping around, and looking out for deals. They are really easy to put together too, they said two man job, but I did one of ours on my own, and DH helped with the second one. As you say with some shelving inside it is amazing how much you can pack away in them. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 I have just been looking at sheds online and B&Q are doing a resin shed in the size that I want. I just need to get the other jobs down first and have a dry weekend day so that I can leave everything out on the lawn while we empty and take down the old on. What really appeals to me is the amount of kindling I will have when I take the old one down Does anyone on here have a resin shed? I wonder if there are joists inside that I can screw shelves onto; I have one free-standing shelving unit and the others are scaffold planks on screw-in brackets. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 I have free standing shelves in ours. The pieces are a bit like a jigsaw, they are made up of hollow moulded panels that slot and click together and have metal reinforcing rods that slot in for stability. The panels have some screws so you can definitley screw into the resin, but I am not sure how substantial they would be at holding up anything with a bit of weight in it, given that the panels are mostly hollow. I am sure that my first shed offered shelving add ons that you could buy separately, but I didnt bother. So I don't really know for sure. Sorry. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted February 13, 2012 Author Share Posted February 13, 2012 I'd love a garage too! Thing is, I know I'd be on here saying how much clutter I've got in it! I am off work next week and will be tackling the loft. I've been promised some aerial sockets from the aerial in the loft to the bedrooms, so that should help motivate me a little. It's going to be a hectic year in my house I feel. I just want so much done, but most can't be done until the loft is, no point having workmen trekking through newly decorated rooms to get up there Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted February 21, 2012 Author Share Posted February 21, 2012 Well, took more stuff to the charity shop on Saturday, but managed to come away with a lovely pair of Cotton Traders jeans for a pound, plus a pair of white Dorothy Perkins shorts for a pound too! Him indoors was mightily annoyed as I went with the intention of getting him a pair of jeans to cut off for summer shorts and came back with stuff for myself, ho hum! Managed to clear the stock of Keter shelf units at the local B&Q yesterday, mum and I wanted two units each for loft storage, and they appeared to be much stronger and cheaper than the Argos equivalent, there were only four left so we had them all. I'm waiting in all day tomorrow for some storage stuff and bathroom cabinets from Argos, can't wait for it to come so I can finally start decluttering the rest of the house Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted February 21, 2012 Share Posted February 21, 2012 Id love a garage but i know who will fill it. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 21, 2012 Share Posted February 21, 2012 I'd like one too - storage is scant in these old houses. Still I'm of the opinion that clutter will expand to fill the available space, so in a way I'm glad not to have one. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted February 21, 2012 Share Posted February 21, 2012 I moved five years ago from a two-bed terrace with very limited storage, to a three-bed semi with a garage. Paradise ... or so I thought. Unfortunately it is absolutely true that clutter expands to fill the available space! The garage is mainly full of wood and woodcutting equipment, but it's also now storing various bits of furniture, two bicycles neither of which has been used since I moved here, various bits of gardening equipment, chook food, two chairs that I am in the middle of upholstering (it's only been eight months ... ) and numerous tins of paint, emulsion, wood preserver, white spirit etc. Then there are all the plastic plant pots that 'might come in', the double-glazed units I saved to make a solar wax extractor (one has already been broken), and the bits of timber that are too good to burn. And the kitchen bin that I don't want but was too good to throw out, etc. I need some serious Flylady-style decluttering in there, as soon as it's warm enough. There are some useful garden tools in there, but I can't find them under all the rubbish! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted February 23, 2012 Author Share Posted February 23, 2012 Well, Olly, if the weekend is as warm as today, you can start decluttering on Saturday! Argos delivery arrived at 4.40pm after I waited in all day Took me 2 hours to assemble two bathroom cabinets with drawers, a 4 tier shoe rack and a pine laundry basket. All in place, and we have had great fun filling the bathroom cabinets (must get out more ). Hoping to get into the loft sometime tomorrow and get the new shelving up (not to mention actually starting to clear it out!). Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 Ok,today I took a big bag of books to the charity shop, along with a radio/cassette/CD that I replaced because it's analogue and I wanted a digital one - all in working order, I even found the instruction book, so I hope someone will be happy! And I put the double-glazed units on Freecycle, and someone is coming to collect them tomorrow - that's a result, as they are a constant worry to me as I think they will get broken where they are at the moment. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 We've been carrying on with dismantling the collapsed old sheds; today OH found another pile of s"Ooops, word censored!" metal, so that went and has paid for a few Dine-ins for us and my daughter and her boyfriend . Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted March 13, 2012 Author Share Posted March 13, 2012 Well done on selling the s"Ooops, word censored!" metal, think I need to get organised and find a dealer who pays. Round here we just get the vans on the scrounge all the time I'm decluttering my bedroom and have found something strange under the bed, a small suitcase full of plastic carrier bags! They are all 70's and 80's by the look of it, lots from exhibitions (Motor show and ideal home, that sort of thing) and normal high street ones too, they look in unused condition (I never used to throw anything away!). Now, how do I find someone who wants them? Seems a shame to chuck them out. Maybe I could offer them to a museum or put them on ebay as a job lot? Does anyone else have an endless collection of nick nacks? I keep taking little bits and pieces to the charity shop but the shelves are still full of bits and bobs. I'm thinning them out, most mean nothing to me and are of no great value either, just wondering when the space will begin to appear, it's quite puzzling Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted March 13, 2012 Share Posted March 13, 2012 I'd put them on eBay - there are people who collect that kind of thing, strange as it may seem, and if you only got a fiver for them it would be worth it! They won't cost a lot to post, presumably. I find I just don't 'see' things - so my shelves collect up bits and pieces, and I don't really look at them and see what they look like. I'm awful with presents that people have given me, I don't like to throw them away ... even if they are things I wouldn't have chosen myself! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted March 14, 2012 Share Posted March 14, 2012 Give them away Olly if they don't make you smile, have a use or create an emotion in you. You can think of some person like me buying them in a charity shop and cluttering up my shelves. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted April 2, 2012 Author Share Posted April 2, 2012 How's everyone getting on with decluttering? I've put the suitcase full of carrier bags to one side for now Mum dropped a striplight bulb in the loft and it shattered, everywhere, so I'm avoiding the loft as there's loads of glass to clear up and I can't see where it is Had the new bed delivered last weekend, king sized with a double mattress on it at the mo, it's a case of mind the gap And I've taken two carrier bags of stuff to the charity shops every week, but there's still lots of junk around I will have a decluttered home, I'm determined Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 3, 2012 Share Posted April 3, 2012 I had two bags of stuff off to the charity shop last week, am determined too but it takes time.... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted April 4, 2012 Share Posted April 4, 2012 Well done Claire & Clare, I am determined too! Rather than be overwhelmed at the amount I have to do, I am pleased at every full bag going out, or even some weeks each single item, as long as it's progress in the right direction. So, well done on your bags. To get kicked started each session, I tell myself that I will be happy if I just do 15mins, it feels so much better to have done something rather than nothing in a short space of time. This week I have emptied my wardrobe and a lot has gone out. Well, I started last week and some of it's still on the bed with some urgent paperwork but it's all progress and I am determined! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted April 4, 2012 Share Posted April 4, 2012 It's been a while, but I took a large black sack to the charity shop today, mainly clothes and books. I think I need to focus on some 'hot spots' again - there's a handy flat surface just inside the front door that has filled up with post, and I notice the pile on the kitchen worktop seems to be increasing again. Paper clutter is my worst thing - a lot of it can't be thrown out, it needs filing. is how I feel about filing! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 4, 2012 Share Posted April 4, 2012 I have a basket on my dining table like that Olly it's my 'think about it later' file and I really need to go through it. My folks have been having a massive clear out after having underpinning work done on the house. Sadly, one thing which my dad took to the charity shop was a gorgeous Georgian chest of drawers which had been in the family since new and had my name on it for when it was no longer needed at home. It was too late to get it back - I suspect that it went in the front door and out the back as they say I am devastated He said 'never mind, I have a lovely new IKEA wardrobe if you'd like it'.... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted April 6, 2012 Author Share Posted April 6, 2012 Oh no! I'm all for charity donations but there are limits sometimes, you must be gutted, DM! Thanks for the small steps reminder Teabag, it is so true! Yes, Olly, the hot spots strike again, kitchen table filling up fast here, must sort it so I can put my plate down on a smooth surface! I've now got the correct sized mattress on the new bed frame, and have plastic and cardboard to remove (as well as an old mattress, but that's no problem, the council will remove it for free) bedroom beginning to take shape in a non cluttered and well thought out sort of way. Got a big job coming up before I can have a new carpet though, need my new sash windows putting in so some saving up to do. Might pop to the charity shops tomorrow, need a new teapot as the coffee pot I was using cracked when I filled it at lunchtime, a large piece flew out of the spout and the tea went everywhere Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...