Yorkshire Pudding

Re: Planning a WIR - recommendations? PHOTO ADDED!

I'm planning my first WIR with my (orange eglu).

We're looking at about 8' x 7' with the Eglu on a raised platform outside for easy access. Also with scope to divide off an area for intros (cos if OH thinks I'm stopping at four GNR he's gone crackers, but I will be adding extra housing if I do add to my little flock).

We have looked at various suppliers (flytesofancy, aviaries4u etc). Our other option is to self-build - if you've done so I would love to know how long it took you and how it compares cost-wise to buying ready- made. Neither of us is an accomplished joiner, but we can do the basics!

Finally, would you recommend a solid (flagged) base for the run? I was thinking of security here as well as ease of cleaning.

Edited by Guest

I made my first WIR I think it took me the equivilent of two weekends to complete and was very easy

The only thing I'd say is plan the dimensions of the run with the length of wood, width of wire and length of roofing sheets in mind rather than the available space, it will save you cutting and/or joining

I have one run 9 x 6, one 18 x 6 and one 8 x 8 - the 8 x 8 one has awkwardly sized panels and has a tarp roof as I lost patience trying to roof it! multiples of 3 seems to work best!

Great YP you'll love having one but go for largest one you have room for and as Tasha says multiples of 3 work well with size of wire.

You may find 3ft run sections not much more expensive to buy as to make. Try Bay Animal Housing which is where mine came from. :D

I had concrete laid and painted it with garage paint which has given a dry secure base for the run

the guys are right the panels all seem to go up in three foot sections where abouts in leeds are you cause if you e-mail me you can set a date and come round and look at my wir because i also live in leeds i got mine from bay animal housing last march and you will be able to see what you get for your money i am well pleased with mine hope to hear from you

Thanks all for your advIce and doctor's girls for your kind offer!

We're a bit short of time so I have had a good look and I sent a query to Bay Animal housing about one of their runs - and had a phone call back within 5 minutes confirming that they could make what I want at a very reasonable price. So we will be ordering a 6' x 9' run from them later today and putting it up at half term, which is in a fortnight. :D

I plan to!

Just found out the actual run won't get here till Friday morning - the couriers have mistakenly delivered it somewhere else in the meantime. They werent actually going to tell anyone that, but I phoned Chris to check and he had a little word in their ear :wink: .

That gives us tomorrow to prep the base and I'll do the groundwork today (after I do the million and one other jobs I have lined up) :roll: .

I was erring on the side of slabs, but OH has persuaded me to use decking - we already had joists and about half the boards so have just bought a few more. Easier to lay on soil (with a weed proof membrane down) in the part of the garden the girls have already trashed, he thinks. I will be going for smooth side up, to make it easier to clean out.

Our previous guineapigs had their run on a decking platform and it kept them raised off the cold ground in winter and it was easy to clean/sweep the used bedding off. OH also reckons that a wood base will allow him to fix the run onto it and prevent it shifting in high winds, for example.

We have the base!

It's a framework of joists underneath with decking boards fixed on top - essentially a rectangle of garden decking.

Took about 3 hours from start to finish to build it and we already had most of the wood. It's not beautiful since the boards are not all the same colour - some old, some new - but that won't matter when we put the run on top tomorrow.