Mum

Fox attack while gardening** Update on Hatty

Omg still welled up with relief for Honey.

Hatty may well lwt you know when she is ready to walk. if it is not too stressfull for her may I suggest you hold her standing/supported to let her stretch her legs and get the feeling again. Arnica can also be put in her water.Fingers crossed. x

That's a good idea. She has feeling in the leg, she just can't seem to hold herself up well on that side. I'm thinking that as the base of her wing has the puncture hole (as opposed to the other two injuries which don't seem to be too deep) it's the combination of her lame leg and not being able to balance as easily with her wing (must feel dreadfully bruised). I shall try the exercise aspect of holding her up and letting her get used to it. :)

Glad to hear that Honey is home!

The Mcconnochies - afraid that is a myth about foxes only coming out at night, along with the one about them being unable to scale 6' fences. They are more likely to come out at night, especially at dusk, but they are a risk all day long.

Now that is a useful piece of info...6' high is not enough...looks like it is going to have to have a roof.

just wondering how Hatty is doing?

She was a bit stronger yesterday (no forward flip somersaults onto her back, like Sunday), managed to stand for a few minutes and then flumped down on the spot in a very wide sitting style. This was in the WIR when I put her in there for a couple of hours with her sisterhood yesterday morning.

Being so cold, after that, it was back to pet carrier and back indoors. I think she is rather enjoying her pet carrier indoors vacation to be honest :lol:

I was very encouraged by her attempts yesterday, so this morning (in about 15 minutes!) she will go back into the WIR in her pet carrier (sans door) and I will try the same procedure: see how she copes and if she is any stronger.

I can hear her chatting from the other room (yay!) so she is definately becoming stronger and that is fabulous :dance:

Just taking things slowly with her.

Since last Saturday's attack she has come on leaps and bounds.

Last night was her final night of being kept in our house. Yesterday she managed to spend most of the day in the WIR with the girls but I wasn't sure she would cope with the Eglu hussle at bedtime so I've given her her last night of Pent House luxury.

She has grown stronger daily but still needs to stretch her wing on her right side to keep her balance when she wants to move around the WIR. She even managed a short walk in the garden when dh was FR them yesterday, but soon returned to the safety of the WIR (which isn't safer when the door is open for them to FR :roll: )

Dh has contrived a stick which he nows walks around with when FR them "just in case" - no idea what he plans on doing with it as he's scared of dogs, let alone foxes :roll::lol:

Thank you to everyone who showed concern, offered advice and encouragement - it is hard to believe it happened almost a week ago, even though she isn't quite yet back to her old self she has vastly improved!

Edited by Guest

Well, it's heartbreak hotel for me tonight. It was past "chooky bedtime" when I got back from Uni, and evil Mr DH allowed Fatty Hatty to curl up with her sisterhood in one of the Eglu's in the WIR *wibble-sniffy* = no FH under my protective gaze/company tonight :(

She's snuggled up with her sisterhood, leaving me bereft, *sniff*.

Naturally, I am delighted that she is strong enough to slip back into the flock - selfishly, it's left an empty space in my "mother hen mode" caring, nursey capacity. Just won't be the same without her "choop-choop" noises in the morning as dawn breaks.

I want her to miss me (she won't! Of course) as much as I'm missing her presence in the house. :wink: But, yes, woohoo, she's a fighter and has overcome the very worst of her shock/injuries and that is the most funtastic result :D

YOU dreadful person you I thought something dreadful had happened. VEry spleased just to you. X :D

Missing having her with me *is* something dreadful happening :lol::shh:

Opened the girls up this morning and she actually bounded out! I was :shock: I am totally thrilled with her progress and extremely grateful it wasn't a worse result.