Mum

Fox attack while gardening** Update on Hatty

I'm free-ranging my girlies, transplanting plants, digging in compost and a wily fox attacked :shock::shock::shock:

I caught him with his jaws around Hatty, my big fluffy orpington with a limp - I growled at full voice and chased the beggar down the length of my garden (no mean feat!). He leapt the fence with a jaw full of feathers. Ran back to Hatty to is clearing in shock and noticed 3 of my girls are missing. My lads were fabulous and went looking (our garden backs onto a park on two sides).

One bantam, Humbug flew to my neighbours shed roof; Margo and Honey hid in the conifer/brambles which runs between my fence and the tennis courts in the park. We managed to get Margo over the fence (her choice, our persuasion) and back safely in the WIR. Honey can no longer been seen. In the meantime, Foxy came back but did a double back flip over the fence when he saw my face :evil::evil::evil: .

Checked Hatty over, she has 3 wounds which I've cleaned and sprayed - while that was going on, ds told me Humbug was outside the WIR. Transferred Hatty to pet carrier; put Humbug in the WIR.

Honey is still MIA :( :( :( I'm so hoping she will also find her way home before nightfall/something happens to her. She's an OEG so she pretty speedy when she's a mind to be; but I can just imagine her walking into the park and some n'er do wells having sport with her :(

Hatty is now sat beside my desk in a pet carrier to keep warm and calm. She only laid her first egg yesterday!

I'm gutted for her. I was only a few short feet away too.

I'm so relieved that he didn't get any of the girls overall - but I've got my fingers xD for Honey to come home.

My goodness, how frightening - I never let my hens out unless I'm in the garden to supervise, but it's inevitable that I'll step into the shed/pop in to the kitchen, or they disappear behind the greenhouse so I can't actually see them. I dread this happening. Pesky foxes are so bold, and this is a bad time of year for them despite the mild winter.

I do hope Honey turns up.

Oh NO!!! The cheeky beggar! :twisted: I am so sorry to hear this and I hope that Hatty makes a speedy recovery and that Honey returns home to you either on her own or via some nice kind person who finds her. As for nasty Mr.Fox, well if I was you I'd be keeping a shotgun handy of a nice big shovel so you can bash him over the head with it if he ever dares show his face over your fence again!!! Here, have a HUGE {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}} from me, and a bice virtual cuppa tea with extra sugar in it!! Might be worth putting some Bach Rescue Remedy drops in Hatty's water, it helped Eva no end when she was badly mauled by my neighbours terrier last month FWIW???

Thank you Olly, I was with them because that's my 'rule' on FR'ing - only if they are supervised! FAt lot of good that did today.

BM - I don't have any Bach Rescue Remedy drops, but I'll ask dh to go to the pet store when he finishes his shift - thanks for that advice (and hugs and virtual cuppa!).

Should I be doing anything else for her? Bringing her in to be beside me, is that a no-no on the basis it might be just as traumatising to be seperated from her sisterhood?

I just feel so bad for her that I want to do what is best for her.

Thank you Olly, I was with them because that's my 'rule' on FR'ing - only if they are supervised! FAt lot of good that did today.

BM - I don't have any Bach Rescue Remedy drops, but I'll ask dh to go to the pet store when he finishes his shift - thanks for that advice (and hugs and virtual cuppa!).

Should I be doing anything else for her? Bringing her in to be beside me, is that a no-no on the basis it might be just as traumatising to be seperated from her sisterhood?

I just feel so bad for her that I want to do what is best for her.

Aww..any time sweetheart :D

I left Eva in with Sunny, by then I only had 2 chooks left, we had to send Ebony to the big coop in the sky, so I left Eva where she was so that neither of them would pine for the other? Made sure Eva was well plastered in violet wound spray so that Sunny wouldn't peck at her, it's taken time but we are getting there slowly, Sunny laying again (every day for the last 2 weeks!) and Eva now allowing me to pick her up again!

Best place for Bach Rescue Remedy is Boots the chemist, you can get drops and even a handy spray which I use myself every now and again when life throws too many curve balls my way :lol: Brilliant stuff indeed!!!

We are in the country too, and I haven't seen a fox for well over a year. This morning, however, I let my bantams out to FR in our walled garden an hour or so earlier than usual. Came back into the house, made a cup of tea, looked out of the window and there was a huge, and very handsome, fox sniffing around near the gate to the walled garden!

I haven't moved so fast in a long time, raced outside and chased him off into the nearby woods.

A lucky escape today, but it has reminded me that the fact that I haven't seen a fox for ages doesn't mean that they aren't around :?

I am so sorry to hear about the attack. Hope Hatty is ok and gets over her nasty shock and I hope there is good news about Honey and that she turns up soon. It can happen so quickly and when you are least expecting it and it can really shake you up. Hugs. Sue

Great news!!!!!!! Honey has come home.

Since posting, I've been out there finishing off the gardening, shaking the meal worm bucket, chook-chook-chooking but nothing.

I saw my Buff Orpington in the nest box and guessed she would be laying her first egg, so I kept up the other end of the garden and continued the gardening/mealworm/chook thing.

Just walked back to check if Buffy had laid (she had!) and who should be strutting beside me (out of nowhere!) but Honey :dance::dance::dance:

I am sooooooo relieved!

Yes, Sue - I was incredibly shocked. Thankfully, when it comes to flight/fight, I've always been a fight responder, but the shock is the same either way. Having a naughty glass of wine now :oops: (Medicinal! :shameonu: )

On reflection, usually when I FR the girls, I stand/watch/walk with them. Today, for the very FIRST time, I thought: nice day, girls are FR'ing, why on earth am I just standing watching when I could be with them and *doing* something at the same time?

Ok, now I know why I walk/stand/watch ;) It's like toddlers, you turn your back for a second and BAM that is when things are most likely to happen.

Thank you, everyone. Thank you so much for your supportive comments.

Well, I've brought Fatty Hatty back indoors for the night :(

She made it into one of the Eglu's, but, when all the other girls did their moonlight shuffle, she keeled over onto her back. Don't want to risk that happening during the night (you know what I mean: the bedtime, "Get your butt outta ma face!; move over, this is my perching spot; hey! quit shoving!! SHIFT!!" )

She's had a limp since we first had her and manages extremely well. But, since the attack, she is particularly "wobbly"; this is my greatest concern right now.

She is back in a pet carrier (with food and water under her beak!) in my kitchen. In the morning, I will put her back in the WIR before the others get up so they don't realise anything is different. I'll keep my eye on her during the day with fingers X'd she doesn't deteriorate.

What else can I do??? :anxious:

Glad to hear that Honey is home!

There isn't much you can do for Hatty if you've cleaned her wounds, it's most likely shock I should think - keeping her warm and quiet will give her a rest, and hopefully she will be a bit better in the morning. Not tried it myself but some people swear by a drop of Bach's Rescue Remedy in the water.

The Mcconnochies - afraid that is a myth about foxes only coming out at night, along with the one about them being unable to scale 6' fences. They are more likely to come out at night, especially at dusk, but they are a risk all day long.

Thank you everyone x

Olly is right, I have (once again) seperated Fatty Hatty for the night - she will sleep in my room where it will be quiet and calming until her time to return to her sisterhood in the morning.

Suburban foxes, at this time of year, can appear at any time of day or night - think about it, they have cubs to feed and do not honour any ethical or moral code when it comes to feeding their cubs - like us humans, really ;)

For my part - I know how it gains the easiest of access, just have to pacify my neighbour when I suggest some higher fencing, but without offending :anxious:

Hatty slept in the pet carrier, indoors with me all night, and looked bright eyed this morning. (Phew!)

Made the decision to put her in the WIR with the Grubs this morning so when the others come out they'd see her there.

Lasted all of 5 minutes; poor Hatty - who has always had a limp on her right side - took one step forward, did a forward flip somersault action and landed upside down, unable to right herself. She is clearly very weak on her right side as it was the right side of her back, next to the wing joint, where she has wounds.

Back to the pet carrier in the house again; at least because of her size (Fatty Hatty Orpington), and the size of the pet carrier, she stays upright! I'll keep her like that for a few days I think, so any bruising/aching has chance to pass. Tomorrow I'll put her in her pet carrier into the WIR so she can see the others and vice versa until she's strong enough to cope with a bit more space.