Mercedes55

Need some tips on lowering cholesterol

Porridge, porridge and more porridge, with a side order of oatbran. Lovely stirred into Yoghurt, with a few berries.

Those Benecol wotsits are quite useful too.

Were you given a breakdown of the ratio of HDL to LDL?

I have porridge with blueberries every day for breakfast and have done for years. For lunch I have a yoghurt and a banana and then a normal evening meal. I guess I do like a bag of crisps and the odd bar of chocolate some days, but I wouldn't say I eat a lot of saturated fat.

I just phoned the surgery as they hadn't given me a breakdown of the HDL to LDL, apparently the HDL is 2.11 and the LDL is 3.78 :?

Did they say it was diet related? My hubby had his checked a couple of years ago,and discovered it was very very high, ie drinking a bottle of whisky a day every day for many years very high. His is not down to diet, its genetic, so he was put on statins which he didn't like at all so came off them :notalk: To me it sounds like yours might be the same as your diet seems totally healthy.

Some useful stuff here http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/high-cholesterol.aspx :D

........and after reading that, I need to have words with hubby and get his checked again

Did they say it was diet related? My hubby had his checked a couple of years ago,and discovered it was very very high, ie drinking a bottle of whisky a day every day for many years very high. His is not down to diet, its genetic, so he was put on statins which he didn't like at all so came off them :notalk: To me it sounds like yours might be the same as your diet seems totally healthy.

Some useful stuff here http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/high-cholesterol.aspx :D

........and after reading that, I need to have words with hubby and get his checked again

Very interesting article, thanks for that.

They didn't say it was diet related, just told me to pick up the "healthy living" leaflet and get it checked again in a years time. I've been sitting here going through my Tesco shopping list and looked at the fat levels in some of the things that I buy. Hadn't realised how much fat was in their Fruit Fools, the Tesco Finest Shepherd's Pie, Doritos, Club biscuits etc :shock:

I've been sitting here going through my Tesco shopping list and looked at the fat levels in some of the things that I buy. Hadn't realised how much fat was in their Fruit Fools, the Tesco Finest Shepherd's Pie, Doritos, Club biscuits etc :shock:
Hmm, they might have something to do with it :lol: I do know fruit fools have a lot of full fat dairy goodness in them. I used to love Waitrose's Apricot one. And their gooseberry one :drool:

I've been sitting here going through my Tesco shopping list and looked at the fat levels in some of the things that I buy. Hadn't realised how much fat was in their Fruit Fools, the Tesco Finest Shepherd's Pie, Doritos, Club biscuits etc :shock:
Hmm, they might have something to do with it :lol: I do know fruit fools have a lot of full fat dairy goodness in them. I used to love Waitrose's Apricot one. And their gooseberry one :drool:

I love the Gooseberry Fool and just one of those has 14 grams of fat, 9.3 of them being saturated fat :shock:

At the risk of being contraversial there is another view out there on cholesterol which is that actually the medical profession have got this wrong and that cholesterol is a naturally occurring substance in the body the levels of which can vary wildly depending on when you are tested...

http://theharcombedietclub.com/2010/06/what-can-we-say-about-cholesterol/

If for at least 85% of the time you are eating a good balanced diet of whole, natural, real foods (and that means butter on your toast and not a chemically made margarine substitute :evil: ) it really shouldn't really matter...I wouldn't bother having a cholesterol test personally, (but that's because I too don't buy in to the science and don't trust the pharmaceutical companies who sell statins so wouldn't take them anyway - that's my personal choice.) ....Even fat is not a complete villain,(sugar on the other hand is a whole different thing) it depends on what you eat it with ...as Atkins found out............Seriously don't let it worry you too much...but if it's a wake up call to improve your diet and general health then go for it!!.... :D

Steps off soapbox - :oops:

There's a thread on the all things nice page about the Harcombe Diet, and yes I know I am boring about it but it works...

After me saying I didn't think there was a genetic link, after posting on fb some of my cousins have messaged me telling me it does run in the family and their levels have been much higher than mine :shock:

There is also a hereditary kidney disease in the family, something I was only made aware of a few weeks ago, so not sure if there is a link there. Guess I need to go back to my GP and talk to him

Although not got high cholesterol in the blood. I am having to watch my fat intake because my gallbladder can't cope & is storing up cholesterol , forming stones - giving me pain & making me sick.

So it's no fat / very low fat - no marg, no cheese, no chocolate, minimal red meat.

It is amazing how much fat is even in low fat foods!!!

Emma.x

My understanding regarding cholesterol is that for the most part it is down to how much cholesterol your body makes - this is the genetic part. Your diet plays a small part in the equation.

My mother and her sister both have high cholesterol; my mother has done nowt about it :roll: whereas my aunt has successfully lowered hers through diet, while it is now much lower, it is still higher than some people's and I understand that she is now a a 'good level for her'. I really ought to get mine tested, but I hardly ever go to the doctor and it's way too much hassle. I am pretty healthy, exercise a lot and eat fairly healthily too - all whole foods and no processed rubbish.

I was told that I had high cholesterol (7.9 ) following a routine blood test. Mine was due to large amounts of alcohol, (no family history of cholesterol). I had "the speech" from my GP,"If you don't cut down your drinking"...........

I reduced my alcohol intake, increased my exercise and got it backdown to "normal" (4.8 at my last check up) in just under 6 months without the aid of prescribed medication.

However, a client of mine recommended "ATERONON" Capsules, a high dosage tomato based supplement, which he had used with some success. The capsules were expensive £30.00 for 30 (1 a day) and I used 2 packs, and they appear to have worked for me. Also my HDL's (good ones) are up and my LDL's (bad ones) are down.

Hello! I really can't add anything helpful to this at all but did spot this article about tomatoes and cholesterol so thought I would post a link, in case its of any interest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1388927/Cooked-tomatoes-good-statins-battling-cholesterol.html

Also, Dogmother, you don't need to visit your GP to get a cholesterol test, you can get it done at lots of chemists, even some supermarkets (not nagging, honestly! :whistle: )

I'm being very good. I put all the foods I ate yesterday on that Food Focus website that adds up what you have eaten during the day. It's really a site for losing weight but as it adds up the fat grams I thought it a good idea to use it. So yesterday I had a total of 18 grams of fat and I think the daily recommendation is no more than 30 grams a day. I only had 860 calories all day though, so I need to find some low fat foods to get my calorie intake up. I also used my pedometer to see if I was doing the recommended 10,000 steps a day. After going on the treadmill twice, doing my housework and walking the dog it was just over that. So there is nothing else I can realistically do to lower my cholesterol. I have no idea how long it takes to go down, assuming it will go down, but as the GP won't check it again for a year I may have to go to one of the supermarkets and get it checked. I know Sainsbury's are doing it for free right now.

I personally don't have a problem mine is 2.8 , told the only problem i will get is gallstones as a problem of low levels. :(

OH has statins and did all the diet things. The benecol drinks helped him a lot in the first weeks to get his levels down.

He always asks why mine is low, well i always use low fat...even check the label for the lowest i can find , eat little red meat, i prefer turkey and chicken , i don't drink alcohol nor do i smoke. i exercise when i can as i do very little due to my arthritis, so watch my diet. And my family have low levels too.

I prepare all my own food whereas he eats in the mess and has no control over what goes into his food , and he is hopeless when it comes to the healthy option , even when home he always finds something naughty to add to his food.

( I just make sure the ins policy is to hand as he is not a spring chicken any more ) :) I have no idea if his family have high levels or not. His was 7.6 and it hovers around 5 now.

Hello! I really can't add anything helpful to this at all but did spot this article about tomatoes and cholesterol so thought I would post a link, in case its of any interest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1388927/Cooked-tomatoes-good-statins-battling-cholesterol.html

Also, Dogmother, you don't need to visit your GP to get a cholesterol test, you can get it done at lots of chemists, even some supermarkets (not nagging, honestly! :whistle: )

I do love tomatoes, so will be eating lots more of them I think :lol:

The free Cholesterol testing at Sainsbury's runs out on 14th February, I have made an appt for OH and for myself, just in case my result was wrong. One can but wish :)