Mercedes55

Need some tips on lowering cholesterol

Went to Sainsbury's first thing to get mine tested again and to also get OH's tested. My reading, according to them, is total cholesterol 5.09, HDL 1.62 and ratio reading 3.1. OH was total cholesterol 5.8, HDL 0.92 and total ratio 6.3.

OH was recommended to get his HDL level up as it should be over 1.00 and I was told mine is fine. So now I have to make my mind up which reading for me is correct :lol:

I am now nearly 3mths into my cholesterol lowering eating and I am having a real problem keeping my weight up. OH has also been eating differently and he has lost over a stone, which for him has been good as he needed to lose weight. I am now down to 6st 10lbs and I really don't want to be this weight as it's too low for the age I am and I am afraid I am going to start looking haggard, if I don't already. I have been eating lots of salmon, almonds, walnuts and other foods high in HDL and haven't eaten one biscuit since the beginning of February. I do have the odd bit of cake, but only on special occasions and not weekly like I used to, plus I have cut out desserts which I used to love. I just don't know what I can eat that will help me gain a few pounds that won't be high in fat :?

Porridge for breakfast, everyday! Milk on top but no sugar as it creates a sugar spike.

Is your low chlorestoral diet short on carbohydrate, it sounds as if it might be?

Slow release carbohydrates (not sugary foods) may be what you are missing? Also, keep in some healthy fats whilst cutting down on the saturated ones? You do need some fats, just a thought.

If you feel your carb and fat intake is still good, perhaps get a health check and see a dietician. What is your height? You know what weight feels right for you. It sounds as if you are losing when really you don't need to, it's only the high cholesterol you want to lose.

Benecol or similar products?

Do keep us posted, and all the best. :D

Only my opinion I know, and absolutely no wish to offend, but there is a view out there that actually cholesterol is necessary for every single cell in your body and it is naturally manufactured by the body to do a job - it may be some time before we find out the true effect of lowering this naturally occurring substance, but I've also read reports that low cholesterol levels could be linked to other nasties and may not in the future be seen to be A Good Thing. That said

I know that every different paper you read has a different health scare, and statistics can be manipulated however you like (and we also selectively remember stuff that supports our own opinion )

Latest research I've read..(in GP News) is that there seems to be a causal link between increased fat build up in heart tissue and insulin and anyway with the huge rise in Type 2 Diabetes (a result of our low fat high carb rules?) I am more concerned with tiptoeing around my insulin levels than anything else

I try to keep my focus on eating healthy natural foods..and as few manufactured foods as possible..(don't get me started on butter substitutes and who knows what harm all those years of artificial sweeteners will have done to us!)

I haven't a clue what my cholesterol levels are as I've never had them tested...I assume my body is making what I need.

Steps off soap box.....(sorry rant over!)

I agree. I've read the same articles.

My mother has a high cholesterol level and I am genetically pre-disposed to have the same as other female members of my family have it too; I eat (mostly) healthily and don't really much like fatty or sweet foods, exercise more than is average and don't feel the slightest bit inclined to find out my cholesterol level.

I read an interesting article a while back about cholesterol and a supposed link between rising cholesterol levels and widespread homogenisation of mik. It could of course be total rubbish, but I couldn't help feeling it made a lot of sense. Basically, in order to homogenise the milk, the fat particles are broken down into tiny globules... so tiny that they can in fact pass into your blood stream. This isn't the case with non-homogenised milk.

I would actually prefer to drink 'proper' milk as nature intended it, but it's so difficult to get hold of.