cloud

We've bought four hens. Gulp!

After several years (yes years) of prevaricating we went out today and to look at hen houses and runs and came back with four hens in a box. We only wanted three!

We have four hybrids:

• - A lovely white Sussex who's taken to her new home immediately, seems to be the boldest and the most ready to explorer.

• - A rather more timid blue hybrid with lovely plumage we could not resist

• - A Cou Cou that's fairly bold, but has been snuggling up with the blue

• - And Gingernut that slipped in when our guard was down. She was the first to the feed when we put it out this evening. We'll need to keep an eye on her I think.

So we have red, white and blue and a French Cou Cou for balance.

It took a little while for the coop and run to be delivered so they got to know each other for a little while in a large cardboard box. It was getting dark when it eventually arrived so we've just set it up and got them in with the little light that was left. We put it on the lawn in a position easily visible from the house. We'll more it later when the weather improves.

They're now all in the coop. The Sussex went straight in and soon settled down but the rest huddled up in the corner of the run under the coop. We were worried they would get cold so we've been persuading them to go in to the coop but mostly we had to put them in the door way before they would go in. Now they seem to be settled.

We're hoping this is all normal for new hens in a new home. I guess the pecking order will soon establish itself, but so far they seem to be all getting along okay.

OH has all day with them tomorrow. Unfortunately I have a trip up North that will take me out from 6am to probably 10pm so I'll not see much of them until the weekend :(

None have names yet.

Yay, how exciting getting hens and a home for them all in one day.

I bet you can't wait to get any eggs :D

I'm sure they will soon settle down and will also figure out where they need to go at bedtime.

Make sure you show us any pics - your hens sound lovely.

I'm sure your OH will fill you in on their antics and it is nearly the weekend :dance: and then you won't get anything done at all :lol:

They're all going to get their photos taken as soon as I get them in the light. Camera's battery is charging as I type.

Currently I'm fretting they be cold in their new coop. Given the forecast should I be covering it or something, to give them a bit more protection?

Well, I'm glad I insisted they all go in for the night. Hope they do huddle as the forecast says it going to be mighty cold tonight. I was thinking it was perhaps a man thing - wanting to go and do something or make something. Made the tea tonight - that's helped (and it's *my* birthday). Saved the cauliflower leaves, in case they would like them tomorrow.

OH has strict instruction to keep me posted tomorrow, via twitter, while I'm on my trip up North.

Mollyripkim, the Cou Cou's plumage is really lovely and really does look like a Cuckoo's.

Congratz on the new girls , i have a cuckoo silkie and she is very preaty , but i also have a full selection of other girls that are all cases of morehens i started with "yes you can have 2 hens " and now i have 12 :shock::dance: Ive even managed to get a boy with the girls but he is a sweet little bantam boy and crows like he has a sort throat :lol:

Happy Birthday!!!! :clap:

Your girls sound lovely (and very patriotic! So, Rose, Blance and Taisie then? :lol: ). I also had to look up Cou Cou; Mollyripkim is a wonderful name :lol: <-------- Ok, I misread: thought you'd named your Cou Cou "Mollyripkim" now realise you were referring to a poster :oops::lol::think: Still think it would be a great name for a chook though :wink:

Edited by Guest

Congratulations on taking the plunge and we look forward to the piccies :D . You'll enjoy life more (even when they are naughty) and as you know, you will always find moral support, advice and ideas here.

I notice you made a rational decision to buy two, left home to buy three, but arrived home with four... :wink: They will keep each other lovely and warm at night, don't worry.

We think three is the ideal number for our garden. Then if we lose one, there is never a lonely one - and we can add a pair of newbies to max four. Of course adding our fourth hen meant 33% extra lawn scratching - and 33% more poo... But in this weather it is easy to pick up!

The garden is at it's lowest ebb in February and takes a beating from little feet. But now that you are out in the garden every day, you'll notice the subtle start of spring before most people. Enjoy!

Congratulations - there may be ups and downs ahead, but you will never regret your decision to keep hens. It's one of the best things I've ever done. Four is a good number, and as said already, they will keep each other warm even in this weather.

Lovely choice of hens, too - we demand pictures, of course! How exciting - I remember the moment so well. They are going to bring you hours of pleasure, and lots of delicious eggs, too.

congrats on your purchase :)

After several years (yes years) of prevaricating we went out today and to look at hen houses and runs and came back with four hens in a box. We only wanted three!

We have four hybrids:

• - A lovely white Sussex who's taken to her new home immediately, seems to be the boldest and the most ready to explorer.

• - A rather more timid blue hybrid with lovely plumage we could not resist

• - A Cou Cou that's fairly bold, but has been snuggling up with the blue

• - And Gingernut that slipped in when our guard was down. She was the first to the feed when we put it out this evening. We'll need to keep an eye on her I think.

So we have red, white and blue and a French Cou Cou for balance.

It took a little while for the coop and run to be delivered so they got to know each other for a little while in a large cardboard box. It was getting dark when it eventually arrived so we've just set it up and got them in with the little light that was left. We put it on the lawn in a position easily visible from the house. We'll more it later when the weather improves.

They're now all in the coop. The Sussex went straight in and soon settled down but the rest huddled up in the corner of the run under the coop. We were worried they would get cold so we've been persuading them to go in to the coop but mostly we had to put them in the door way before they would go in. Now they seem to be settled.

We're hoping this is all normal for new hens in a new home. I guess the pecking order will soon establish itself, but so far they seem to be all getting along okay.

OH has all day with them tomorrow. Unfortunately I have a trip up North that will take me out from 6am to probably 10pm so I'll not see much of them until the weekend :(

None have names yet.

I think they just had some cou cow chicks on Raymond blanc,

I must go and look on iPlayer. There are several types of Coucou, I think.

OH has reported they've all had a good look at the snow fall today and seem to like the cauliflower leaves I saved them from last night's meal. I've not seen them at all to day as I left before the sun was up and arrived back in a blizzard, well after they're gone off to bed.

OH had the day off so at least I had progress tweets during the day. I so wanted to tell my customer I was visiting all about them :dance: , rather than talk engineering, but I don't think they'd be quite so enthusiastic :notalk:

I so wanted to tell my customer I was visiting all about them :dance: , rather than talk engineering, but I don't think they'd be quite so enthusiastic :notalk:

Awww...that's so sweet :) You'll find you have to pick and choose who you talk to about chickens, as most people just think us chicken keepers are all bonkers :shock: Don't know why they'd think that? :lol:

I managed to snap our gingernut in the snow this morning before heading off to work. She's the only one that is not bothered about the snow. The others were hiding under the coop where the ground is shelter from the snow.

IMG_1688.jpg

We've still not named the girls. So far we're referring to them as Gingernut, Bluey, Coucou and Sussex.

And this is our Sussex lady, snapped yesterday by OH. She was the first out yesterday and today. Seems to be in charge, with Coucou as her second in command. Gingernut is the one most pecked, maybe because she is a little smaller then the rest. She's also more likely to be seen away from the other three, although she does mingle too.

IMG_1684-1-1.jpg

I get get almost a full day watching them tomorrow and I can decide on some proper names. Hopefully the other two will come out in the snow to play and I'll get their pictures too.