Cinnamon

Hosepipe ban

Our water comes from Cambridge Water (no ban yet), but sewerage is from Anglian Water!! I have just filled an empty flip top bin with water from my over full water butt, so I can collect some more from the rain forecast for the weekend. I was hoping to replace it with a bigger capacity water butt as it drains off the roof of the row of terraced houses I live in, but it covers over the overflow from the gas boiler and I know that the engineer will complain when he comes to service it in 2 weeks time. Must work out how to fit guttering to my shed so I can fill up the big one!!

Wouldn't it be really helpful if water companies did a couple of months of special offers - and I mean really special offers - on water butts, like councils do with composting bins? I got my first composting bin for £5, and then a further two for £15, which was brilliant, but haven't ever seen this type of offer on water butts. Currently, the cheapest butt the water companies offer is £32 plus delivery ... but it is almost half price at Argos!

You might not be able to pressure wash from them, but at least it would be encouraging people to install them and save some water?

Mrs Potts.

Wouldn't it be really helpful if water companies did a couple of months of special offers - and I mean really special offers - on water butts, like councils do with composting bins? I got my first composting bin for £5, and then a further two for £15, which was brilliant, but haven't ever seen this type of offer on water butts. Currently, the cheapest butt the water companies offer is £32 plus delivery ... but it is almost half price at Argos!

You might not be able to pressure wash from them, but at least it would be encouraging people to install them and save some water?

Mrs Potts.

I think that if you look on your local council website you will find they do water butts, but I am not sure of the cost. I was looking at compost bins on mine and they also do butts. :D

Hello!

I got all excited and checked - had definitely not thought of that - but they are offering water butts at just three pounds less than the water company, and still more expensive than Argos!

I suppose that they (water companies) just don't think the investment is worth it for the water saving involved - suppose it isn't really ... as a gardener, maybe I just have an ulterior motive!

Mrs Potts

I'm in Thames Water area and I sent them an email asking about sheep, goats, pigs and poultry and if a hosepipe could be used for watering and cleaning. This is the reply

The restrictions do not apply where Animal Welfare is considered. Therefore, you are able to use a hosepipe to water your livestock and clean the area.

Different rules for different water areas I think.

Stupidly, we are able to still use a hose pipe to clean our private car,because we have a business registered to our home address.

We wouldn't do this of course,but using one to water our veggies which we eat & help keep our food bills down would use a lot less :roll:

Thanks for that post MummyHen - I'm in Thames area, and I was fairly sure I could use a hosepipe for cleaning the hens but it's helpful to have it confirmed. Hurrah - I definitely can't wash the car now! (I hardly ever do anyway :oops: )

I am in an area with the hosepipe ban, I phoned the water company yesterday to double check that I could use a hosepipe to clean out and was told no. Back to the bucket and scrubbing brush for me. :cry:

You can, as animal housing is not covered under the Flood and Water Management Act 2010.

I am in an area with the hosepipe ban, I phoned the water company yesterday to double check that I could use a hosepipe to clean out and was told no. Back to the bucket and scrubbing brush for me. :cry:

You can, as animal housing is not covered under the Water and Flood Management Act 2010.

Thank you Fred. :D

This is a quote from Anglian Water web site.

Any activities that are necessary for health and safety reasons (i.e. necessary to remove or minimise any risk to human or animal health/safety or prevents/control the spread of causative agents of disease).

I change my ducks water every two days and have always used the dirty water to water the plants. If my water butts are full I replenish their water from them but I have had to use the hose for the last few weeks. I don't like to do this as I am on a metre but their needs come first.

We don't have a ban here yet, but are very short of water nonetheless. I don't use a hosepipe for the chickens or the garden, thankfully. At our woodland wildlife site we collect water in a pallet tank which collects a cubic metre (1 tonne). This we then use for watering the greenhouse and garden beds we have there. The pallet tank didn't cost that much and stores a huge amount of water - lasted throughout the last dry summer. But you have to cover it with black plastic or it fills up with algae. You can get them off EBay or from farm auctions, which is where we got ours.

We don't have a ban here yet, but are very short of water nonetheless. I don't use a hosepipe for the chickens or the garden, thankfully. At our woodland wildlife site we collect water in a pallet tank which collects a cubic metre (1 tonne). This we then use for watering the greenhouse and garden beds we have there. The pallet tank didn't cost that much and stores a huge amount of water - lasted throughout the last dry summer. But you have to cover it with black plastic or it fills up with algae. You can get them off EBay or from farm auctions, which is where we got ours.

My neighbour got these, and then realised he some how had to get them in the back garden. It ended up going in via someones field!!

I need some info about what is classed as a hose pipe under the the regulations for our allotment AGM on Saturday.As yet We don't have a hose pipe ban but water usage is always a heated debate at the AGM as I'm acting secretary until about halfway through the meeting(when we vote the new commite) in it me in the fireing line.I've googled hose pipe ban with no success a point in the right direction would be of help

I need some info about what is classed as a hose pipe under the the regulations for our allotment AGM on Saturday.As yet We don't have a hose pipe ban but water usage is always a heated debate at the AGM as I'm acting secretary until about halfway through the meeting(when we vote the new commite) in it me in the fireing line.I've googled hose pipe ban with no success a point in the right direction would be of help

Phone your water board they are very helpfull. At least mine was. :D

Morning all.

A couple of weeks ago I was asking about the hosepipe ban, have just spoke to a nice guy at Thames water who told me that us chicken keepers can use a hose to clean our runs and coops. Also if any of you have fishponds that need topping up the same applys. Im Happy, trying to clean with a watering can was not easy or affective.

Morning all.

A couple of weeks ago I was asking about the hosepipe ban, have just spoke to a nice guy at Thames water who told me that us chicken keepers can use a hose to clean our runs and coops. Also if any of you have fishponds that need topping up the same applys. Im Happy, trying to clean with a watering can was not easy or affective.

Oh, really interested in this. Did you get anything in writing or did they point out anything you could print off?

We are in Gloucestershire and they just declared us in drought...no hosepipe ban yet though.