SueChick

Rat Attack on the Eglu!

Hi - thought I'd share our recent nasty experience with the horrible rat species because we had a close call recently regarding a rat actually gnawing around the hole in the egg box and nearly getting one of our ladies.

There was this huge commotion in the middle of the night and all 3 ladies were screaming and burst their way out of the door of the Eglu into the run. We couldn't see anything at the time and couldn't understand it. Then when we're doing cn extremely deep clean due a suspicion of red mite (it's all happening to us this year!) we turned the Eglu over and there were gnaw marks over the bottom and around the egg box hole.

We have now got a metal grill to go over the hole to still allow drainage but prevent the horrible rats!

When we lifted the slabs up that the Eglu was standing on (again checking for possible mite infestations), we had a horrible shock! Out popped a rat and ran across the garden with 3 chickens and 2 cats in hot pursuit! It had made tunnels under the slabs without us even knowing it was there!

This just goes to show how sneaky they are at hiding because we did not have a clue it was there and saw no signs of it.

The same has happened to me, unfortunately with fatal results. Whatever it was that got in - not sure if it was a rat or mink etc - gnawed round the hole in the nesting box and killed one of my bantams. I now stuff the hole with scrunched up chicken wire to hopefully prevent this happening again.

I've been putting poison out in a bait box because of a rodent hole in a flower bed next to the house. I think it has worked....the kitchen stinks with what I assume to be the smell of rotting rodent. It has died somewhere under the floor, but ripping up my beautiful stone floor isn't an option so I have had a scented candle lit in the kitchen for the last few days! :roll:

:shock: OMG :shock: that is horrible...for all of you.

millie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:37 am

I am very sorry to hear this. I have always wondered why the "drain holes" are so large and unguarded. At the moment i only have tape over the nest box hole to keep the shavings in. What does everyone else do?

I tend to put shredded newspaper in the bottom of the box then cover with shavings.

I tend to put shredded newspaper in the bottom of the box then cover with shavings.

Thanks for that idea scubababe, unfortunatly have already tried this, what happened with me is the girls used to drag it out of the cube around the garden, i also caught them eating it!! :wall::roll:

OK thinking out of the box now...what about the shredded paper but put a piece of netting over it, then the shavings!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINE-STRONG-BLACK-FLEXIBLE-HDPE-2mm-INSECT-FISH-MESH-SCREEN-0-6x0-5m-PLASTIC-NET-/290659988778?pt=UK_H_G_Garden_Plants_Landscaping_Garden_Materials_ET&hash=item43acaf752a

Just thinking it will create the barrier against them nicking the paper or have you tried a piece of un-shredded newspaper? :?

Thanks scubababe, tried the unshreaded paper, soon gets shreded :roll: . Good idea with the netting, they possibly wouldnt be able to get their beaks through those holes, but dont think it would stop a rat or other slinky intruder.

Edited by Guest

I've got a cork (champagne / fizzy wine size I think) blocking the nest box hole on my eglu, it needs to be pushed in from underneath.

oooo thats a good idea...don't have any spare Champagne corks lying around....looks like I'll have to add Champagne to the shopping list :wink: The sacrifices I do for my girlies :roll::lol::lol:

My Classic was second hand and came complete with rat nibble of about inch around the hole in egg box.

So, the Classic sits with the egg box hole exactly on top of a ball of scrunched mesh, to allow drainage through but make it difficult to gnaw upwards and into the house; they'd have to chew metal first. Wood shavings cover this.

The wire ball/Classic sit on two panels of mesh, about 1m square each and placed on top of each at slight angle. Mesh hole is about half inch square but it is a really rigid sheet. Classic footprint means it covers the mesh so it isn't too unsightly. I have two house bricks that sit one each either in the curved part underneath, again to deter visitors and not really noticed. I like the WIR to look tidy, but it looks a fright at the mo as am in midst of intros and have removed some perches/blocks while their feet adjust to gripping, but had to add hiding places.

All came from Wickes, all quite cheap.

A sheet of wire mesh about 40cm squre under Eglu would do. I've got slabs. I've tended not to shut their bedroom door at night now it is milder but you have made me change my mind. I already have mouse traps in the shed next to the run because T & L have access to the compost bins and seem to treat the compost mice as pets not food!

Can deal with mice but anything bigger freaks me out! :shock:

I wondered if a rat can get in an Eglu Cube? This evening, I checked on the hens and a rat escaped out of the back of the run. When I looked into the Cube, I found blood on the roosting bars! I don't know where the rat hid, whether or not it got into one of the peanut feeders/grubs and if it bit a hen either in the run or in the Cube.

After my posting, I checked the hens and could see no obvious source for the blood. I went down to see them again during the last quarter of an hour and there doesn't appear to be any fresh blood so I'm mystified as to where it came from. The hens appear to be lively enough.