Chortle Chook

Ghosts in the house

A woman at church told us when they moved to their present house her son - now grown up kept dreaming of giant flowers. use to wake scared stiff. When they came to redecorate - on removing some of the wallpaper they found 1960's paper - yup with big flowers on it underneath - very spooky :anxious:

My mum knew someone whose son became lethargic & quite ill. They were told to put copper tape all around the perimeter of the house to change its energy / magnetic field or something strange like that. The lad got better! Wierd, but there must be some truth in youngsters & energy they give off.

My hubby & I believe there is a big thing with ghosts & birds. I have read they are messengers of Angels & deliver the messages between this world & the next. O.k so now you think the men in white coats should be after me! :oops:

I used to believe that a blackbird in my parents garden was my nana. Before the death of my hubby's father, a dove landed on the windowsill of the open window at the hospital. At his funeral there were 2 white doves sat on a lamp post, I believed them to be his mum & dad reunited again.

Everyone has their beliefs & they should never be knocked. Sometimes they are very comforting.

I do believe in ghosts!

Emma.x

I believe we're being visited by a ghost or ghosts at the moment. I've always been interested in finding out more about my grandparents and family tree, especially my great grandfather who came from Switzerland. After seeing a photo taken of him in 1909 I decided to do some research into my family tree. I only started on the Ancestry website yesterday and have found it absolutely fascinating and already learnt huge amounts. I've spent many hours trying to find two of my grandfathers siblings who I knew had died according to the 1911 census.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a really really strong smell of perfume. It was similar to one of the ones I wear, so first made sure the dogs hadn't smashed the bottle and then asked the girls who had been using it, of course they all denied it so of course it had to of been the fairies :roll: This afternoon, just after I'd finally cracked the mystery of the two children who had died, the over powering smell was back. But this time all the girls were in the same room as me so I know for sure none of them had been spraying perfume! We could all smell it wafting in from the hall, stairs & landing. We all agreed it was similar to one of mine. The smell kept coming and going. Later on when I was in the kitchen a really strong smell of it wafted right under my nose. Mr Griffin could also smell it when he came home from work. He swore blind it was my perfume, but I'm not wearing that particular one today, I used a different one before I went out at lunch time.

So I do believe we have a visitor, no doubt one of the many family members I've just discovered!

I resurrected this post as I had a strange occurance at the weekend. I went up to see dad and stayed with my aunt. Her husband died 18 months ago and for years he smoked. He gave up about 1995 and my aunt's house is spotless. The sofa and chairs are fairly new. I was aware of a smell of cigarette smoke and deodorant/ aftershave. It smelt like my uncle. The chair I was sitting in was his and she was telling me about family. I love hearing about my grand huge family and my uncles who surprisingly are all over world. I like to think he's looking after her. You probably think I am barking. But as you can see in the past I have smelt things and so have others. Bizarre.

Not barking at all; personally I think that, over the last few generations, we have lost touch with our 'spiritual' side as everything has become more 'techie'. As my mum would say 'you may think you know everything but you don't know the half of it'!!!

We have had odd experiences in this house (its only about 30 years old) but none since the boy's arrived (probably scared whatever away :lol: ) I have also, on a couple of occasions, seen things that I just cannot explain rationally and these two expereiences came totally out of the blue when I was just doing ordinary things in ordinary places; seeing 'apparitions' was absolutely the last thing on my mind both times.

It's odd that people don't usually mention their own experiences until someone else does then it's surprising how many have actually had some kind of 'visitation' in whatever form. Maybe it the fear of being though batty for admitting to it :?

I certainly think that as Shakespear's Hamlet said

"There are more things in Heaven and on Earth, Horatio

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

Whether they are spirits or just strong impressions imprinted in places I can't decide. What seems clear is that unhappiness seems to imprint itself more than joy which is a tad depressing in itself.

I quite agree.

Years ago, not long after they were married, my parents rented a flat in a converted house in an area of Birmingham. It had once been a grand affair with servants quarters in the attics etc. Mum and dad had the upstairs rooms and the lady who owned the house lived downstairs.

There was a front door and an inner door then a long flag stoned hallway to the downstairs kitchen door, and on several occasions mum and dad would hear the front and inner door open, footsteps down the hall and then the kitchen door open. And then a while later it would happen again when the owner really came home!

Once, they decided they would stand on their landing and watch and wait - and they heard both doors open, and the footsteps but although they had a clear view of the doors and the hall, there was no one there!

Dad also used to get very weird out of body experiences when he was sleeping too.

They found out after they moved that the house had been used as a sort of refuge to families bombed out during the war, so it no doubt saw a lot of unhappiness and distress.

I do think that some buildings or landscapes, under certain conditions, "record" events, or sounds and then play them back again when the conditions are repeated. But it does all seem to come from negative energy rather than positive.

I've had a couple of things happen to me, in two different homes actually:

First story (first house):

I was about 4 years old and I woke up in the night because I felt thirsty. I went downstairs to the kitchen, and it was pitch black, so I went to flick the light on so I could fill up my cup from the sink.

Just as I was about to flick on the light, I heard this low, extremely gruff voice say "Nooooooooo!" from behind me. The only way I can describe the voice is if you can imagine a dog or wolf (or werewolf!) speaking; it was animalistic, not a human voice.

Naturally I jumped out of my skin, and span round scared out of my wits. All I could see in the corner was this half-human looking thing (again, think werewolf but slightly more human) staring back at me from the corner. It had bright yellow, reflective eyes (bit like a cat). I screamed, dropped my cup, and then legged it as fast as I could up to my parents room. As I ran I could hear the patter of an animal like a dog running after me, pattering all the way up the stairs.

I slammed the door behind me and dived in to my parents' bed shaking and crying and I woke them up. My dad grumbled and told me I'd had a nightmare, and my mother calmed me down. I couldn't sleep at all and after my mother and father had fallen back to sleep I could swear I heard an animal scratching at their bedroom door.

I had recurring nightmares about it for years! Then when I was about 10, my mother asked if I remembered it and if I was serious. I told her I remembered perfectly and didn't make it up. She pondered for a minute and then announced that the reason she asked is because she had once been down in the cellar, and the door had slammed on her and the light went out. As she had gone to switch the light back on (not sure if it had blown etc.) a gruff animal voice snarled "Get out!" from behind her and she legged it up the stairs and refused to ever go back down there!

I'm actually adapting the story for the second of the books I am writing!

First story (second house):

I was probably about 15/16, and my sister had gone to bed before me so I was just watching videos in my room because I wasn't tired. About 20 minutes in to the movie, I heard my sister yell "Andrew! Get out!".

I paused the movie because I couldn't understand why she was yelling at me, and called back "What?".

There was a moment of silence and my sister then screamed, so I jumped out of bed and burst in to her room where she was just shaking in her bed crying her eyes out. When I asked her what was wrong, she said she thought I had snuck in to her room to play a joke on her, because she woke up and saw the outline of a man staring at her from the end of the bed. When I shouted "What?" she realised it wasn't me and then screamed accordingly. Whatever it was simply vanished as she screamed.

Second story (second house):

I was in the living room when the phone rang. I picked up and said "Hello?" and a voice said "Hello?" back. I repeated, it repeated. I decided it was feedback, and put the phone down assuming whoever it was would call back if it was important.

The phone rang again a few minutes later. I picked up and said "Hello?" and a voice said "Hello?". I got a bit annoyed thinking it was a prank and said "Is someone there?" and a voice repeated back "Is someone there?". I recognised the other voice as my own, and then though 'Oh for F sakes!', realising the phone was feeding back my own voice. So I just said "The phone isn't working, try calling back later, sorry!".

When I hung up I thought to myself 'maybe it's Dad/my sister', call 1471. So I did. The operator recalled the number which I immediately recognised as my own mobile number. My heart leapt in to my throat because I remembered I had left my mobile in my bedroom, so it was all very 'the call is coming from inside the house'. I jumped up and ran to the kitchen to grab the biggest knife I could find to defend myself from assumed psychopath now lurking upstairs. I slowly creeped up the stairs and as I got to my bedroom door I called out "Hello?".

No reply. I cautiously opened my bedroom door to look for my phone, but it wasn't where I thought it was. I proceeded to check all of the upstairs rooms and make sure all the windows were locked etc. I checked wardrobes and under beds. Eventually I came back downstairs checking all the rooms and windows etc. and then noticed that my mobile had actually been on the sofa next to where I was sat.

I was totally confused. I called out again, just to assure myself the house was empty "Hello? Is someone there?". Nothing. I realised in that second that I had literally just parroted exactly what I had heard myself say to me on the 'feedback' loop on the phone. I was completely freaked out and I just couldn't explain it, so I thought maybe I had somehow sat on my phone and called the house. I checked the recently called numbers on my phone and the phone confirmed that I had NOT called my own house, in spite of the fact that 1471 confirmed that a call had been made from my phone.

To this day I have absolutely no explanation at all for that.

Wow. Did you ever investigate the history of the first house? The second story reminds me of the film with the baby sitter who gets calls from an intruder n the house. Seriously spooky. In all my experiences I never felt threatened. My family at times left a lot to be desired but in death I have found their visits comforting. At present I am very low and stressed and wonder if that was my uncles way of saying don't worry. As OH pointed out he was always on my side and if he knew I was troubled about things would tell me didn't matter what others thought.

My experiences in our present house have been very few and far between but not at all threatening. Quite the opposite in fact and I am not at all worried about 'what' may be here. Nothing has happened for ages but we did go through a patch of having objects dissapear for a while then, just about when we had given up looking, they'd re appear in very odd places. It got to the stage where, if the missing item was important, we'd ask out loud for it please to be returned - on each occasion within a few hours hey presto....! Sounds mad and batty and for a while OH and I blamed each other for playing tricks and had a couple of fairly major arguments about it. OH spent a month in the States for work about 13 yeas ago and it happened twice whilst he was away and I was living alone so........?

Andyroo....I think you are very brave; I'd have been in thereapy after the first experience!

Wow. Did you ever investigate the history of the first house? The second story reminds me of the film with the baby sitter who gets calls from an intruder n the house. Seriously spooky.

RE: First House - nope, never investigated anything about it. We moved out fairly shortly afterwards - but for entirely different reasons. I thought about knocking on the door about 10 years ago and explaining it all just to find out if the people who lived there at the time had experience anything, but I decided against it in case they thought I was some kind of psychopath! lol

The thing with the phone? I have absolutely no idea what the hell went on there. At all. It didn't really scare me as much as it did confuse me. Had the calls to the house been in the missed calls list I'd have probably just assumed that I'd lead on the phone and accidentally called the house.

On my mother's side I am apparently a descendent of Roma gypsies and allegedly have a family ghost of a great great great cousin (or something) who was murdered by drowning. Allegedly she appears at the end of your bed and beckons for help... although I have never seen her. One of my cousins claimed to, though.

I've got a few more, actually. Weird stuff always seems to happen to me -

I once stayed in an old hotel for work. I was asleep in bed when I felt like someone had just climbed in bed behind me. I froze solid because I was genuinely scared, my first thought was (naturally) that some psycho had hidden under the bed and now climbed in next to me.

I then decided I must be imagining it so to prove nothing was there I decided to push back against it expecting nothing to happen; instead, something pushed back against me full force enough to make me move several inches. I then felt warm breath on the back of my neck. It took me about 3 seconds to jump out of the bed, clear the room, flick the light on, and pick up a lamp to use as a weapon. The second the light came on, there was absolutely nothing there at all!

It took me all of another 2 minutes to get dressed, pack my bag, and run down to reception to ask for another room. I was too embarrassed to say what had happened so I lied and just said whoever was in the next room was making a lot of noise and was keeping me awake! :oops:

I've also had a couple of 'psychic' moments -

I sadly knew without even being told when my mother died (I was 10 at the time). I just woke up in the morning (she passed in the night) and I just knew. I came downstairs and found my grandmother and my father sitting in silence and I just asked "Mum died didn't she?" to which they both nodded.

I also knew when my grandparents died (complicated living situation, but they were basically my parents). My grandfather had an undiagnosed heart aneurism which burst while he was driving and he swerved off the road and into a lamp post which then came down on the car. The local radio mentioned there had been an accident with a car colliding with a lamp post while I was at work and I just knew it was him.

My grandmother passed away a year later in her sleep, and about the time she passed (I wasn't there) I could just 'feel' her. I picked up the phone to call my dad and ask him for an update and he confirmed my suspicion: she passed just a few minutes before I called.

I felt oddly comforted by all 3 in an odd way. It kind of confirmed that when it's someone you really care about you just kind of know. So you know they're safe and sound?

The thing that weirded my husband out was when we went to Oxford Castle: we did the tour and as we were down in the old cellar/dungeon (whatever you want to call it) I started feeling a little 'off'. I shivered a little and when Rich (OH) asked me what was wrong I stood there and thought about it, and I explained that I just had this feeling that there was a woman in a red/purple dress next to him, and that there was a monk in the corner of the room watching us.

About 10 seconds later the tour guide said that it was allegedly haunted by an old monk and a woman in a violet dress. Rich's face dropped and he looked at me in amazement, as did the couple who had been stood about 4 feet away from us and overheard me tell Rich what I thought. :lol:

Andyroo....I think you are very brave; I'd have been in thereapy after the first experience!

Like I said: I had recurring nightmares about it for years afterwards.

Other than knowing when my grandparents passed away, nothing has happened to me of late. Hopefully nothing scary will happen again!

You are a brave soul. If something got into bed with me I would be my usual grumpy self like I am with OH when he hogs the duvet " hoy mush stop invading my space and move your fat booty" - then I would be carted off gibbering by men in white coats.

I also have things I can't explain like the holiday in Cornwall when ES was 14 and I for some reason threw in antihistamine tablets into bag That holiday he suffered a near fatal nut allergy reaction ( we had no idea he had the allergy) generally we are a nut free zone ( apart from being slightly nutty) the tablet bought us valuable time to find hospital and he ended up admitted.

Time when training I said to a distressed friend crying in my room in nurses home " you're pregnant aren't you?" She was and had miscarriage.

Andyroo...one of my two 'sightings' was at Oxford Castle but not the same as yours! Reminds me that I should take the boys there over the summer (not specifically to see ghosts :shock: but just because they havn't been and its only 25 mins or so away! :lol: )

I'd been to Oxford several times without ever knowing they had a 'castle' there at all. I thought it was quite good for a cheap and cheerful day out!

Maybe you'll go and see the ghosts I was on about this time! :lol:

I'd been to Oxford several times without ever knowing they had a 'castle' there at all. I thought it was quite good for a cheap and cheerful day out!

Um, I think the prices must have gone up a bit since you were there last, Andyroo! That's prob WHY I havn't taken the boys - by the time I've paid for the Park and Ride and bus fare it almost bank loan time!!!