Chortle Chook

Ghosts in the house

Hospitals are rife with stories - at The Royal London where I trained on the childrens ward a nurse ghost would yank you by your puffed sleeve if you fell asleep as she killed herself after smothering a baby when she fell asleep on nights. I was about 20 and terrified I would fall asleep feeding a sick babe. Eyes propped open with match sticks - it was in a side room too and deathly quiet. :anxious: Another time a nurse and I in private wards witnessed huge heavy lift doors open on their own - dr had thrown himself down lift shaft. Oh joys of NHS - not only the living to tormen :lol: t us but the dead too

Almost as soon as we moved in things would go missing only to reappear days/weeks/months later in completely different places :roll: - again it took us a while to cotton on that this was not just misplacing things or the other one of us moving things - it happened too often. I got into the habit of saying, out loud, 'Come on, please can we have xxxxxx back again as we really need it' or similar and it generally worked :whistle: !

My nan would do that, mostly to Mr Griffin, in our old house. It wound him up no end because he's always thought my famlily didn't like him and there was the ghost of my nan trying to annoy him :lol:

Our old house had a trickster of a ghost called Mary Hilton. She was a character & the person who owned the house previous to us. I used to catch glimpses of her white hair going past one of the kitchen windows. She once locked the bathroom door & we couldn't open it. Hubby had to climb in through the window, which luckily was open, to un bolt it. :roll:

She was also a madam for keys & clocks! The amount of keys that went missing mysteriously was unbelievable. They would then appear weeks later on the correct hooks.

The clocks would always stop at the same time. Door bells would ring on their own - knocks at the door & bumps & bangs in the night. Usually if we had done something new to the house - painted / decorated / new furniture. It was like an objection or approval thing.

However, we loved her - as she also helped us out. If we were doing a job & didn't have quite the right tool, something would always turn up in the shed , garage or pantry. It wouldn't be quite the right thing, but would do the job perfect. Hubby was once felting a shed roof & needed some tacks. He thought he'd run out. All of a sudden a little bottle fell off a shelf in the garage, rolled & came to a halt at our feet. It was full of tacks. But what was wierd was, it was the only bottle in the garage that was made of plastic. All the others were glass!

Oh & there is the story of Mrs Hilton's red string on a cone. We have used it for so many things, yet it never got any smaller. We have even brought it to this house & used it loads, but still, the cone it doesn't get any smaller.

We miss you Mary Hilton!!!!

Emma.x

A few years ago, on a vet trip, my daughter's cat had to be put to sleep. We'd known he was unwell, but cheerful, but no idea how unwell. I know she would have wanted to be there if we'd even thought this was going to happen but she was at school, so I held him while he went to sleep. I wrapped him in a blanket and put him on the front seat. All the way home I kept telling him he wasn't to 'leave' until she had had a chance to say goodbye, and there she was on the doorstep when I got home. She was devastated.

She spent a long time cuddling him in his blanket on the patio, while I dug his grave. She put him in and was saying some words, while I tried to be brave and looked around the garden. There he was, clear as daylight sitting under the apple tree on the other side of the garden, starting to walk up the garden towards us as he faded. It sounds really strange but it's clear to me that he did hold on until he got home.

Our previous house was quite new - one of two built on a previous old house site. I didn't like upstairs, always felt as though I was being watched. One day I'd just sank back into the bath and thought my husband had come home early and sneaked in while I wasn't looking because I heard my name whispered very loudly in my ear. I looked round and there was "Ooops, word censored!"ody there. I told whoever the man was to go away very politely. OH was still playing badminton at the sports centre. I never had a bath unless someone else was in the house. Never had any issues downstairs, but the landing and bathroom made me uncomfortable.

At a B & B we had a family room. Number one son had a single bed across the bottom of our double bed. DD had another single bed by the wall next to OH's side. I was awoken to hear a giggling child running around the bottom of the bed and I felt it touch my feet. I said "get back into bed right now!" but it continued to giggle and as far as I could hear still little footsteps at the bottom of the bed and touching my feet again. So I turned the light on and both of mine were fast asleep tucked up in their beds. There wasn't any time for either to jump back in - there was no rustling of the covers either. I decided it was a happy little thing whatever it was so went back to sleep (I must have been bonkers), I didn't feel threatened either. OH wanted me to ask the owner the following day, but I didn't want them to think I was stupid so I declined.

Every time someone dies close to us we see a solitary deer in the most odd places. When my dad died I complained that it had been nearly a week and we hadn't seen a deer. The following morning OH said - hey there's a deer in the front garden! And there it was and trotting into next door's - I just managed to get a blurry photo as our idiotic neighbours chased it away. I said typical dad - he's got the wrong house.

Now if I come back (with the present mood I'm in) I shall come back to haunt OH and chuck things at him! :wink:

Not really a ghost story . . . but my DD2 aged 4-5 at the time, when driving through Jedborough pulled her thumb out of her mouth and pointed to a house 'I was born there'. We said no you were born at the RVI inNewcastle you know you were. She was very serious and very insistent in telling me no, she was born in that house. Sent shivers down my spine. Even now aged 8, she still insists Jedborough was her home.

I used to get on like a house on fire with my MIL. We would both wake up at silly o'clock & first one down put kettle on as the other one wouldn't be far behind! OH couldn't believe how intune we were.

MIL insisted that there was a baby boy waiting for me & OH, OH had had the snip!!! When I was out in Iraq I asked OH to get tested...yep he was firing on all cylinders :lol:

Unfortunately MIL didn't live to see her Grandson but she still pops by the house and checks we're ok. Her ashes are in the front garden so whenever I need her she's here :D

MIL was a channelled healer and had patients from all over the world come to visit her including the Dali Lama!! :D

Sort of makes you wonder - especially with imaginary friends. I had a little dog (apparently - I have no recollection of it) but one day my grandad jokingly said "oops I've just shut his tail in the door" and I was so upset but that was the last of the imaginary dog.

My dad was stationed in Carlisle during the war and he and the lads were looking for a place and he gave directions - correctly - although he'd never been there in his life before. He was a tad spooked.

Mum was driving down a country lane, had a bad feeling, pulled over - much to the irritation to my grandparents and my dad - when another car came round the bend on the wrong side of the road. Had she continued they would have had a nasty accident.

Shivers for bedtime!!!

My uncle does healing - I am told that although he never touches anyone, he generates heat. He was the one person in the family that had things fly around the room (and still does - which scares him to death and he hides under the bed covers with his dog). I always hoped that never happened when he was with me!!!

My dad was telling me only yesterday about him and a colleague working late at their factory one night and hearing heels clacking across the tiled floor above them. Thinking there was an intruder (in high heels? :shock:) they each went up a staircase and turned on all the lights to find nothing and no one there. Mentioning it to the security guard they were told it was a common occurrence and people often heard someone walking across the tiled floor at night. "There's one strange thing though" he told them, like that wasn't strange enough, "The tiles were carpeted over about eight years ago" ... :anxious:

My Dad regularly sees my cat curled up on the end of the bed in my old bedroom when he goes in to put sheets in the airing cupboard. The strange thing is the cat died 20 years ago! When I stayed at the house for a few months 7 years ago my new furry friend (or maybe in her case I should say fiend) followed me into the room, fluffed up,hissed and spat and flew out of the room. She refused to enter the room despite usually following me everywhere, for the 3 months we stayed.

We recently stayed in a friends 15th century cottage on Romney marshes. On the first night I was woken by loud footsteps on the wooden floorboards by the bed, I immediately thought it was my youngest daughter getting up for a wee and coming in to see me and her Dad, or forgetting where she was, so I called out for her to mind the stairs as i thought, as she was not in the room she had gone back to bed. I got up to tuck her back in, except both girls were fast asleep and still tucked in. I got back into bed and just as I was beginning to nod off it happened again, again I got up to check the girls and again they were fast asleep, this continued all through the night, except that I didn't get out of bed after the second time and hid under the covers for the rest of the night.

I spoke to my friend the next day and she said it happened to her all the time and thought it was a comfort when she slept there, as she thought it was her husband who had died 2 years before coming to see if she was ok.

Where I work we have literally dozens of unexplained visitors!

In one building - the Sail and Colourloft - (where Victory's famous signals were made - "England expects every man to do his duty etc"...) there are several spooks! Up until february of this year it was as it always has been - with rows of old sewing machines along each side of the room. People have experienced a cold forboding presence in there of a lady who it is thought to be a supervisor, who would stand behind you and watch over your shoulder if you sat at one of the machines. Footsteps have been heard and a person seen going into a room with only one exit, who is not in there when you go and check to see where they had gone! The upper floor is very eerie - I took my daughter in there to take photos without telling her it's history - and she didn't want to go up the stairs at all - she said it "didn't feel good".

This building has all been stripped out over the last few weeks and converted into offices - the builders have reported odd things happening and it's going to be interesting to see what occurs over the next few weeks. My boss will be in there and she is very receptive and knows it's history - but is going to stand back and watch what happens without telling what she knows and see if the people experience the same things that we had before it was all modernised.

We went into a building at the back of the cathedral in Gozo last year on holiday. They had lots of church memorabilia and clothing on the ground floor. YS went downstairs where they had the silver and we followed. It felt so oppressive as I went down the stairs that I wanted to turn around but they persuaded me to stay. As I wandered around I felt as though I was being grabbed around my arms, as if someone wanted to keep hold of me. I couldn't get out of there quick enough. Hubby and YS went upstairs to the first floor but said even they felt freaked out going up (it was probably me who put them off - not sure hubby would sense anything strange if it hit him with a bargepole!) :D:wink:

I recently had to have my cat Tetley pts she had a habit of getting behind you on the warm spot if you sat forward on the sofa for any reason last night I felt the sofa Being pressed down behind me when I looked expecting to see Beanie her sister behind me there was nothing there.

knowing she is still around has brought me great comfort

can ghosts follow a family to another house? ES was woken by his computer coming on playing a video on youtube last night :anxious: thankfully it wasnt "Incideous" a film that totally spooked him. He said he lay awake for and hour staring at the screen. Hes now 16 so the days of getting in bed with mum are long over ( hes way too big!! :lol: ) - its just we had similar probs at our old house. Any spook experts out there?

That's awful, no wonder he could not sleep. The films they watch these days are enough to haunt you, let alone having real ghosts about.

YD best friend now shares her room with her two smaller siblings. Her mum thinks it is because she loves them dearly and has a close bond with them. Actually, it is because she watched The Ring on her TV in her room and is too scared to sleep on her own.

can ghosts follow a family to another house? ES was woken by his computer coming on playing a video on youtube last night :anxious: thankfully it wasnt "Incideous" a film that totally spooked him. He said he lay awake for and hour staring at the screen. Hes now 16 so the days of getting in bed with mum are long over ( hes way too big!! :lol: ) - its just we had similar probs at our old house. Any spook experts out there?

I really believe that a lot of its to do with a persons energy - especially teenagers. So it may well have followed or be a new one :roll: My ES has had a lot of spooky things happen to him in his bedroom, either its the room or him, he's 21 now but still has things occurring regularly ie feeling someone touching his arm, breathing over him and electrical equipment being switched on. YS saw many ghostly apparations as a very young child but doesn't remember anything about it now. I wonder if once his hormones start going haywire whether anything will happen to him the same as it has with ES. :think:

Do you remember earlier in this thread I spoke of Mary, my cigarette smoking ghost who died of cancer here and who hates any changes? Well now we have a new smell - really strong, rather stale beer. Some houses are being built opposite us and we had some new blinds fitted. Now our sitting room has started to smell like a pub first thing in the morning :vom: but there is no pub in our road. I was complaining about this in the park today and someone said, "But didn't you know that Mary was an alcoholic" . . . Oh No. I do hope she won't sart to lurch against the doors too :shock: