Chortle Chook

Ghosts in the house

I'd been to Oxford several times without ever knowing they had a 'castle' there at all. I thought it was quite good for a cheap and cheerful day out!

Um, I think the prices must have gone up a bit since you were there last, Andyroo! That's prob WHY I havn't taken the boys - by the time I've paid for the Park and Ride and bus fare it almost bank loan time!!!

Oh really? I'm trying to remember when it was... it must have been at least 8 years ago now that I think about it! Inflation! :lol:

I was sitting in the dark. But before I continued I had to go around and turn the lights on after reading Andy Roo's story!

More recently - last year really - my neighbour who "sees things" from time to time met up with a friend in a nice old pub/restaurant with beams etc near Newbury. They were sitting at a table near a fireplace (not on, wasn't winter) and it was really busy. But they had an extra chair at their table and she said she looked at it and it was like a shimmering diamond, fairly large but you could see through easily. She said to her friend "are you seeing what I'm seeing?" Friend said "yes and it's quite pretty isn't it - I like the shimmer effect." She said that the shape stayed there for what seemed 2 minutes, but in reality probably not that long and then it faded. It was like someone sitting at the table but how strange was that shape!

:anxious:

Edited to add I've just remembered the description - it was like an oil sheen, or when you blow bubbles with that sort of rainbow colouring.

Just read Andy's post about the hotel and it reminded me that a work colleague had an 'occurrence' in a local hotel a few months back.

This guy lives up north and is a Data Architect, so a very binary, black and white sort of chap. He was on one of his regular visits down to our office and staying in an old local hotel. The next morning he looked very unwell, and when I asked if he was OK,he told me that he'd had a ghost in his room and ended up going down to reception to ask for another room. I can't remember the details of his visitation now, but he's a big brawny chap, and hardly given to fancy or even much imagination. I have heard before that that hotel is haunted.

:lol: My avatar - Brunhilde I guess.

Years ago working in a bank - it's previous use was a funeral parlour. The basement was very creepy. A couple of people had been tapped on the shoulder but not in the basement but upstairs in an open room - and where "Ooops, word censored!"ody play a prank and hide in time. I used to have to go downstairs a lot and stay down to hunt for a lot of paperwork - so I used to sing. I reckon I exorcised it because I never had any issues. I also used to talk to it (myself really but hey ho), so obviously I drove it to the light side.

In another branch which was an old Georgian house at one time, our rest room was in the rear and was a new extension. There were only 3 of us as it was a sub branch so lunches were rather peaceful with our alone time. One day I'd just sorted out my lunch and coffee, put it on the table and there was such a hammering on the door (definitely not a wind rattle but a fist in the centre) that I thought there was one of the colleagues messing around (that would be my husband now - he was down training with us at the time) so as I was right by it I opened it to catch him out. There was "Ooops, word censored!"ody in the corridor and "Ooops, word censored!"ody in the little bathroom. Nowhere to run in a split second and it was so weird. I went outside and there was a queue of people and both cashiers were very busy. So it wasn't either of them. The building is now a block of flats and they have since added another level - it used to be just a fake front in days of yore. I wonder if that part of the building still exists.

Kind of wish I hadn't read this thread :shock:

We were up near Wrexham the other week and visited Chirk castle. I love winding staircases and set off down to the dungeons, got to the first underground room and suddenly felt cold and nervous, couldn't continue down the stairs (I was alone, no other visitors down there and OH hates winding stairs) and raced back up to ground level. Dismissed the event totally as I'm not into ghosts, but discovered that people have seen things down in the dungeon. So pleased I came up the stairs as I probably would've had a heart attack down there if I'd seen something!

LOL! I've just come back on this thread and all the lights are off - like say red backwards! Didn't learn the first time!

I think you have to go with your gut feeling. Like Maiden Castle in Dorchester, the children were kite flying with their dad and I wandered to the south part and was looking at the view when my back started to tingle and went right up over the top of my head - it was like giant goose pimples and I wondered if my hair was standing on end - or at least trying to. I have no idea why or what it was. It was a lovely day and I felt cold. It only lasted for seconds but it had me running back up the hill.