sage

personal trainers

I will hold my hand up and admit when I go to the gym I am lazy. I don't enjoy going but I'm trying so hard to shift the lbs.

I was thinking last night as I got on the scales (stayed the same from last week :wall: ) I need someone to kick me up the backside :roll: so to speak.

Have any of you used a personal trainer and what are they like.

Sage

Not used one myself, but a close friend went from size 24 - 12 using one! (having been big all her life). And went from couch potato to running a marathon

She tried a couple before she settled with the one she stayed with

It was very expensive (about £35 a week)

She saw him once or twice a week for about 18 months

I think the important criteria are getting someone who knows their stuff, who can help with what *you* want and not impose their own agenda and who you like/respect

Ditto, not used one but a friend did, she was someone who hates exercise and had never belonged to a gym. She had to give up after knee surgery, but I know she said it was really worth the money to her, as it ensured she exercised on his weekly visits and she would also do other exercises in between so that it wasn't too painful when she saw him!

My friend and I share a personal training session once a week, which makes it a bit less expensive. You have to find someone you 'fit' with, but I've been using personal trainers (alone when I was recovering from an ankle injury; with a friend when it was just general fitness) for years and they're totally invaluable for motivating you and teaching you proper technique. Lots of them give you an intro session free, or will at least have a chat to you about what you want to achieve, which will help with you deciding who you want to use. Go for it! :D

I do a bootcamp twice a week and really enjoy it. Got it originally through a groupon voucher but now am up to 'full price' and it works out about £6.50 for an hour. Not quite one-to-one with a personal trainer but the group size varies from 5-20 depending on weather, school holidays etc. (It is always outside). I find belonging to a group quite motivational, while the exercises given to us to do by our PT are broken down into small manageable sets. I did 100 sit ups last tuesday!!!! by doing sets of 10 through various routines. I enjoy it much more than the gym and find I push myself much more - I actually sweat - in this group than I would at the gym. It's part of mission to shift the weight before my wedding next year. So far since Jan I've lost two stone, but noticed the weight coming off easier from when I started the bootcamp in July. (It's not a military bootcamp or anything btw).

I think having the personal trainer is definitely helpful. I've started going to the gym but I've opted for the plan where I get 1/2 hour with a trainer each week. It's definitely needed as without them I wouldn't change my routine or challenge myself - I haven't got the self discipline required! You do need the right person though - one of the trainers will set very specific targets, I plan to avoid the other as she just tells me to increase as I feel able (if I did that I'd never increase anything! :lol: )

From the other side of the fence, I used to freelance as a PT 25 years ago; I loved every minute of it and the help with motivation and correct technique really helps. It's also helpful to have a well-matched training partner to go along with you when you don't use a PT. I'm lazier these days and really need motivating :oops: must draw myself up a plan as the nights draw in and I'm less inclined to get going.

It's important to change the exercises that you do regularly as your body will get used to doing the same thing. If you're stuck for inspiration then look at the Tracy Anderson videos on YouTube; she does some excellent exercises which you can mostly do at home.

Hello, I have had a personal trainer for eight years.....I was lucky and didn't have any weight to lose.......As I am getting on in years and work very hard in our garden I wanted to keep up my core strength.....

Anyone wanting to lose weight should take nutrition advise and get a PT.The two go hand in hand.....Without the motivation of having to turn up it is so easy to flop in an arm chair and leave it for another day. :wink:

I wish you lots of luck and hope you love it as much as I do.....It's worth every penny. :D