coco

I'm such a soft touch.

Some of you may remember I posted about some chickens being kept in bad conditions in a garden centre I had visited and I reported them to the RSPCA. The RSPCA got back to me a week later to say they were happy with the way the hens were being kept,I was not happy with the response but left it at that.

Well I was in the area again last week and just though I'd pop in to see if conditions had improved. They hadn't and there were two hens in particular that had been badly pecked and were looking very sorry for themselves, a silver sussex and a light sussex hybrid. We now have Ellie and Evie who after very quick introductions are happily scratching round with the other girls. I really didn't want any more girls but I couldn't just leave them there could I.

:?

Ellie and Evie are very lucky girls :clap: Would love to see some piccies :)

We have a small zoo near where I live, and they also breed Rhode Island Sussex crosses for sale to the public .. They too are in appalling conditions, and all you see are dozens of little heads poking through the wire of their enclosure trying to get to the fresh grass which is just beyond their reach .. Their water was filthy, as was their food, and they were desperate for our attention when we walked up to them :(

Anyway, im going to go there next week and complain heavily to the Manager and see what he says.

How long does it take to fill up a bowl with fresh water, or tip out stale food and replace with fresh .. About 1 minute i'd guess. Makes me so cross :evil:

We had a similar experience with a local pet shop which had branched out into poultry - birds being kept on mouldy bark chippings, empty drinkers, dirty food only on offer inside the chicken house. The RSPCA were helpful in as much as they directed me to the local council who are responsible for issuing licenses to sell pets and so would inspect all outlets. We reported it to the council who said they would look into it but we never heard any more. It does worry me that it's so easy to spontaneously decide to buy chickens whilst out getting cat food or plants. Many people wouldn't know that many of the display set ups are completely unsuitable for long term chook keeping - they also wouldn't be able to spot a poorly bird.

Hurrah for rescuing Ellie and Evie who seem to have landed on their feet!

Good for you! You are definitely not a soft touch at all. You've done a lovely thing and I bet those hens appreciate what you've done.

Sadly if the garden centre are doing the minimum by law, then there isn't much you can do. It's sad that animals are still allowed to be kept this way - but there is a long way to go to ensure animals are kept in a high standard of care!

x

thanks for all your support, I really hadn't intended to get more girls. They have both settled in really well and the others girls as usual have been their l accepting selves with only the occasional get out of my way peck. Evie the silver sussex hybrid looks like she has been here forever whilst Ellie who had been more badly pecked has stopped doing her impression of a large seagull (tail down, slightly hunched] today. She looks so much better with her tail up. She will be lovely when the combination of brown anti peck spray (put on by the place I got her from with no effect] and purple spray. NO MORE CHICKENS. :)

I have only just caught up with with these posts but what a wonderful thing you have done. I really admire you for taking a stand, sorting it out and rescuing those little girls who will now have a life they never could have known before.

Such a shame that, although we know about rescuing battery hens, there are so many other hens that need our help but there is nothing in place for them such as the BHWT.

I think the point about the local newspaper is a very good one.