Nikipins

Norovirus

We are having the worst outbreak of winter vomiting virus I can remember. 1/3 of the kids at my girls school were off yesterday with it. The vomiting seems to come on very suddenly with little or no warning. The school carol concert became a bit of a farce after 13 children and 2 adults vomited during the concert, including the little girl playing Mary as she walked down the aisle in the church. One day to go before the kids break up for school, I'm the only one in the house to have had the dreaded bug can the others avoid catching it for Christmas? How is everyone else fairing around the country? We might have to paint a black cross on the door if we come down with the plague! :anxious:

I'm glad you said that as I cancelled a little family gathering here because the kids were ill. I am being totally selfish but I think the mum is a bit relieved not to have to travel and visit with sicky children. I hope you manage to avoid it. I'm neurotically carrying handgel around with me and avoiding the tube and buses.

I work for the NHS and we have had a huge outbreak.... Several wards closed etc.

I had it a few weeks ago at the start of the outbreak. What I couldn't get over was how quickly it came on :shock:

I went to work feeling not 100% but nothing I could put my finger on, then within half an hour of being at the office it came over me like a wave :shock: I made a right idiot of myself as I could not stop myself from vomitting :oops:

The guidelines are to stay home for 48 hours after your symptoms have ended as you can still be contagious. And also to wash clothes and towels at a high heat. Wash your hands every half an hour. Finally use bleach based cleaners everywhere you have had an "episode".

Good luck people as its no fun!

Supermarkets - tell me about it :roll:

We checkout staff are forever handling goods that potentially sick customers have touched too,so we are really susceptible to any illness going around.

We haven't had the dreaded Norovirus yet,but there has been a mild tummy bug that swept through all the staff recently.

I am really diligent about using antibac on my hands all the time & even import the one I prefer as its no longer available here.

They do provide one at work,but its like paint thinners on your hands....my one has beads of oil in it to moisturise & comes in lovely smells like orchard walk & warm apple cider :P

It's been going round the hospital I visit for work - big signs everywhere telling people to go home if they have, or have had, D&V.

I recently went on some health and safety training for work where I was told you can only apply antibacterial gel 4 times before you need to wash your hands and start again. I am assuming this information is correct (although logic says if it's antibacterial, it's antibacterial) so not taking any chances and making sure I wash hands very regularly.

we've got around here there's at least 4 schools closed one since Tuesday at least one hospital has closed the wards to visitors. it's still not as bad as the first outbrake when schools stayed open, at one point it was eseier to count the schools that didn't have it. I was fitting windows at one school and they were down to 5 or 6 teachers and as many class room assitants by the end of the week they had 3 classes in one as it was the only way they could cope I think that's were I picked it up from

Decided to keep the little one off school today, she had flu a couple of weeks back and has not really got over it yet and so as it is the last day of school she is not going to miss anything and it will reduce the chances of her catching noro in her weakened state. Big girl has gone to school even though I offered her to stay at home too, something I never usually do but she wanted to go and see her friends (those at have survived infection free). The headmaster has cancelled carols in the playground this afternoon, to avoid a re-run of Tuesdays disastrous carol concert. So fingers crossed we will escape any more infections. I work at a hospital, my husband is a teacher and my girls go to different local school so I do feel like we catch all the bugs that are circulating in the region. Perhaps I will dig out the antibacterial hand gel again, I don't tend to use it away from work because it makes my skin sore but perhaps it will be worth using over Christmas to try and keep us well.

:vom: yuk! I am paranoid about handwashing - so much so that I worry I'm becoming a bit obsessive, but travelling on the Tube every day as I have to, I'm convinced that I pick up more bugs. I wear gloves all the time in winter, and wash my hands as soon as I get into work as well as using antibac gel.

I've got three elderly people coming for Christmas lunch so it would be a real disaster if I got it, or anyone else staying with me come to that - fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

I had it a few years ago and it was vile. I must admit I popped into a supermarket this morning and it was heaving, it did cross my mind then about bugs. It spreads so quickly, my MIL caught it from us and she hadn't even got very close to us.

Hopefully *touch wood* I'll miss it this year. :anxious:

That's not good Fred :( can you get hold of some Dioralyte to rehydrate you? If you can keep that down for a bit then you will feel a bit better.

I hope it passes soon.

I found some rehydration solution in my first aid kit, been sipping at it (because if I drink it too fast I will vomit and it tastes vile) and feel a lot better. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I hope that all of you who have it recover very swiftly!

I had to attend a meeting the other day & the whole time the person next to me coughed & spluttered & didn't attempt to cover their mouth :silenced: I spent a whole 90 minutes trying not to breath :(

I'm getting really paranoid about germs & quite fancy wearing a face-mask :lol:

I've got a few of the hand gels, but I don't like the sticky feeling that is left on my hands. A few years ago I had one that vapourised almost immediately, but can't find it now :(