HappyFeet

**** Total newbie - a thousand and one questions! ****

Hello Omleters!

May I wish you all a Happy New Year and say 'Hello!' This is my first ever forum post (on here or any other site) and I am very keen to join this fabulous community.

As the title of my post suggests, I am a complete chicken novice. I have been desperate to get my hands on a flock of my own for several years now, and when OH and I FINALLY bought our first home together last April this desire turned into a full blown obsession!

After months of Googling, books and fervently scouring this forum for advice and information I thought it was about time I put myself out there and asked my questions.

I have my heart set on a little group of bantams, 3, 4, 5 - still undecided! I think they would be best suited to our small (but perfectly formed) 52' X 18' suburban garden, and a great introduction to the fabulous world of chicken keeping. The plan is to build a WIR which will run the width of the garden for the little ladies to play in, and then let them free-range at evenings/weekends when we are home from work. I have my heart set on the stylish and oh-so-practical eglu cube (OH still completely oblivious to the cost of them!) I'm sure this will provide more than enough (too much?) space for the number/size of chooks I'm after, but I like the fact it is raised off the ground for ease of cleaning and to give more run space. It will also come in handy should a case of morehen strike!

Does anyone else have this sort of set up for banties? Will this be ok or will it actually be too big and they get cold? I live in Norfolk, which claims to be semi-arid, but looking outside the window today it is pretty chilly!

My next issue is which chickens to get? I am thinking POL as chicks seems far too adventurous for a novice and whilst the neighbours seem happy about the idea of chickens, I don't think they'd be as enthusiastic about an accidental cockerel. Having read up on different breeds I have fallen for pekins, wyandottes, silkies and polands - any advice about these breeds, what combinations you can keep together, suitability for beginners etc would be great! Also, does anyone know of good breeders/where I could get these breeds locally?

Sorry this is a bit of an essay - I feel I could write a whole novel with the number of questions I have! I just want to get as much info as possible before I embark on my chook adventure!

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Hello and welcome :D . Your enthusiasm and excitement is leaping out of your post :lol: .

I don't have bantams so can't really offer advice there but I agree, start with POL not chicks. Building a WIR right off is a great idea - so many people spend money on a cube/eglu run then have to upgrade before long. There are some great ideas for runs here (prepare to lose a week of your life, reading them :wink: ). There's a link to my WIR in my signature - may be a bit smaller than you need but might give you some ideas.

I wouldn't worry about them getting chilly if you only have a few. They are pretty good at snuggling up together and they do have little feather duvets on, remember!

Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to ask any question, however daft you may think it is :D .

Thanks for your speedy reply :)

TBH - my biggest issue at the moment is my profile...very new to this forum business and I can't get my signature to show. I've looked in the posts for 'How to use the forum' but can't seem to see the 'Options' button it talks about...hmmmm.

The world of chickens is more complicated than I though! LOL

Hello and welcome!! :D

This forum is great!!! It has been an excellent source of information and support whenever I have needed it....LOTS :lol::lol::lol:

Well I started keeping 3 pekins 15 months ago.....and now have 7 :shock: I did even have a beautiful cockerel!!!! Sadly I lost him in mid dec :( But watch this space for a new boy to keep my ladies in check!!! :roll::wink:

I only have pekins (althought I think Martha 1 of my hatching eggs from the summer is a cross opington bantam!!! :? ) I just love them. But for such small chickens they have huge characters!!! :lol: Also they tend to go broody....lots! :roll: Keeping their feet dry (.....especially this year!!!) is sometimes hard.

Lots of people on here have mixed flocks with LF and bantams and they all have their indidvidual personalities.....some more than others. :dance:

I would just say, do your research and go for it. Just a word of caution, I have lost 3 pekins in my chicken keeping time and all to different things :(:( Be prepared for the ocassional loss as chickens can go down hill very fast and being a prey animal often mask they are unwell until they can't :( But ALWAYS lots of help here :D

Keep us posted and of course pics!!!!

Hello and Welcome to the forum. You have definitely come to the right place for advice, there are so many experienced Hen keepers on here!!

I have only been henkeeping for 2 years so not really experienced, but have picked up a thing or two along the way :wink: . I started out with 6 Bantams in a cube and a WIR and have now progressed to ex batts too.

I think POL hens is definitely the way to go. I think its ok to mix breeds, I had 2 Wyandottes, 2 pekins and 2 light sussex bantams when I started and they all got on fine. I have read that Silkies are better kept as a single breed flock as they are very gentle and can get bullied by other breeds and its worth noting that pekins can be particularly feisty little girls even though they look very sweet!!

The only advice I would give you is to start with more birds than you think you want as you always want more and it can be tricky introducing new birds to an existing flock. You can easily fit 6 bantams or even more in a cube as long as they have plenty of space in the WIR to potter around in.

Good luck and have fun keeping your chooks :D

Thank you all so much for your help so far!

Loumabel - I think I will probably get bitten by the bug , that's why I thought it was a good idea to start of with a WIR straight away. What are each of the three breeds like? Are the light sussex and wyandotte hardier that the little pekins? I've heard they are pretty fiesty (touch of little bird syndrome?) but are they difficult to care for? How much of a problem are their feathered feet?

I suppose it's a fact of life that chooks (and other beings) may get ill and be lost, are pekins particularly susceptible to diseases/injury?

Does anyone have polands? I think they are adorable and their hair dos are FAB! I think they are like silkie's though in that they can be bullied by other chooks and their lack of vision means they can't defend themselves that well. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Ooohh....this is so exciting! I can't wait to find out more and get started! :)

Welcome to the forum! :D I'm sure you'll soon find it as indispensable as I do! Have only been a chicken keeper since April 2011, so not much more experienced than you, but have slowly picked up the basics! I started with 3 pekins and now have 2 pekins and 2 owlbeards. Like Mimi, I've lost some and it's upsetting but I'm learning (well,trying) to be a bit more philosophical about it. I try to remember that they've had a happy free-ranging life and that I've done my best for them.

Pekins are an adorable breed and tame very quickly. I love my owlbeards too, who are lovely feisty girls - I nearly lost one last September, but the forum advice from Redwing worked a treat!

If you're getting a cube you could easily accommodate 5, and they'd help keep each other warm in this cold weather.

Good luck - and hope to see some pics when your girls are settled in! :D

Hello Happy Feet I am a new convert to chicken keeping(since Sept) I started with WIR and coop,but unlike you I hadn't researched cube and I am sorry I didn't get one,I hope to get more chickens in Spring and will hopefully get cube then I got 10ex batts and they are doing well still getting 5-6 eggs per day which is great given the weather.Agree with other posts get more rather than less as they are so addictive.I did a one day course which was very helpful,but as you have found the advice here is excellent .Like you I can't figure out how to personalise messages must get OH to have a look for me Good luck

I keep bantam polands and they are the most adorable little chooks :D However, I wouldn't keep them in a mixed flock as a beginner. They can't see very well to get out of the way of other chooks who always seem drawn to pecking their crests. In my view its vital to know the characters of your other hens before chancing it - although people do obviously keep them together. My strong advice is to avoid this particular problem especially as you will be learning about everything else to begin with. You could always go for a flock of polands though 8) My lot are all good layers of a good size white egg for the size of bird. Very rich in flavour and can do well on the showbench if you fancy showing eggs :D

Pekins are generally robust little hens, so don't worry about their propensity to be ill :D They are small, friendly to humans and seem to divide into either being sweeties or a bit fiesty with other birds, their feathered feet can get a bit muddy but its a minor issue. They do have a tendency to go broody. Silkies are more prone than most other breeds to a very nasty disease called mareks. Having said that, it doesn't strike many birds as a proportion of all silkies, and in fact if you were going to run another breed with some polands, people say that silkies are a good match as they also tend to be a bit challenged in the hair department! They do have a tendency to go broody, but then again they sometimes lay winter eggs. Polands don't tend to go broody.

Dottes and sussex are other good choices - hardy all rounders.

you are so right about the little bird syndrome :lol::lol:

I don't think pekins are more delicate than other birds. Unfortunately my two died in the first year of avian TB but that was down to bad breeding rather than anything else, I was a complete novice and didnt know a good bird from a bad bird or a good breeder from a bad breeder. I would just make sure you do good research on your supplier and ask on here for recommendations. Pekins are not difficult to look after and if your WIR has a roof and they are kept dry they will be fine. The only problem I had was when they Freeranged and got muddy feet that clogged up and it does take a bit of soaking in warm water to shift it but i found out through advice on this forum that you can trim their feathery feet and that sorted the problem.

I must admit I am a bit biased towards wyandottes, but that is really personal preference and I am sure you will be happy with whatever breed you choose they are all gorgeous and have their own little characters.

Please do put some pics of your new girls and setup on the forum when you get them, we all love seeing other peoples chooks. :D

Hello and welcome.

I keep both bantams and large fowl in separate runs. Pekins are lovely, great characters and very cheeky but you do have to keep their feet dry. I have one silkie bantam and a wyandotte, the silky is fairly friendly and I find my wyandotte to be quite flighty and not overly friendly. she also goes broody a lot. I haven't had sussex bantams although I do have three LF sussex girls, they are all quite chilled out girls. Building a WIR straight away is a good idea as we started off small then got bigger and bigger. Good luck and have fun choosing your girls. :)

Hello an welcome to the forum, its a great place to get answers to all your questions and support when everyone else thinks your mad worrying about your girls! I started in the summer and am hooked, love my girls and my OH is possibly even more smitten. Definitely get a WIR to start with, my one regret, but hopefully fixing that soon. I read through all on the "we're planning WIR" parts 1,2&3 in the eglus, cubes and runs section - better than a book! Let us know what you buy, build and do!

Hello HappyFeet - I just love your first post for all its enthusiasm and excitement. I could say 'snap' too as my first post on this forum was my first ever post on any forum at all and I still love it more than any other :D It has taught me loads about chickens, ducks too and how to use some of the new technology.

My advice would be to pat yourself on the back for your decision to get a WIR and a cube first off :clap: My recommendation would be to start with the largest accomodation you can afford and then get just a few hens of a gentle breed, because you are just bound to want to increase your flock. Doing so is just too much fun to ignore :whistle:

I have Silkies and Polands (Frizzles too but they are hard to come by) and seem to get a couple of newbies each year. Touch wood I've not had any intro problems. I love Polands and think that they are a lot easier than many books make out. Just be prepared to squeeze their hair does between a bit of paper kitchen towel before bedtime on rainy days. This is good for Silkies too. (By the way, they love the hair dryer on a low setting). Wyandottes are lovely too. Light Sussex are very pretty and are good layers but might be less happy to take to any newbies you want to add later on.

I'd highly recommend that you give Tasha from Applewood Bantams a call on 07580 029788. She has a lovely collection of birds who will all be in perfect health. I think it might not be too far for you to go for a visit and there is nothing better than seeing the different breeds in the feather before you make your choice :D I belive she has a little Silkie for sale and has prize winning Wyandottes though no Polands. She is also extremely knowledgeable and helpful . . .

Hello and welcome to the forum from me.

I am excited for you :D

It is lovely getting chickens.

I got mine almost 4 years ago - having started with omlet chickens first - I had 3.

Now I have 6 chickens altogether - 3 pekins, 1 buff and 2 wyandottes. Out of them I am really loving my pekins :D

Everyone on here is very friendly and full of all sorts of information.

Can't wait to see some pictures of what you get.

Hi - welcome. I have 2 Pekins, 1 Polish Frizzle and 2 Wyandottes. All are Bantams. Of the breeds I have I would recommend the Pekins and the Polish Frizzle. The Wyandottes have a completely different temperament and dont seem to like being picked up. The Pekins are friendly little birds and very inquisitive. The Polish Frizzle is just a gorgeous girl who likes being carried around and having her top knot blow dried.

I'm another one who would recommend Pekins - my 2 are lovely and friendly, lay very sweet little eggs and I don't find their feathery feet too much of an issue. I've got a bantam Orpington too who I adore, but mainly because she's such a madam! My Pekins are no more difficult to look after than my bantam Orp to be honest - I've got a covered WIR though which keeps their feet dry.

Good luck with getting your hens - getting mine was the best decision we made :)

Thank you to everyone with their help and advice - I'm even more excited now (although I have to admit, with this snow the thought of heading out early doors is not that appealing - totally worth it when you have some little ladies to see though I'm sure!)

newcountrygirl, how do all your chooks get on? Does your Poland get bullied by any of the others? The dottes are beautiful, with such a wide range of markings and a perfect 'farmyard' shape, and I like that they are hardy too with no feathered feet to contend with, but are they friendly? Our neighbours all have young children and my godson is only 2 so I would like to keep chickens which are ok around children really (you know what kids are like - love to pick up and stroke anything which is fluffy!)

CheekyPekins, is having a covered run enough to protect the pekins' feet? We are planning to put a roof on it to give the chooks some protection from the elements.

I've been doing more research and there are a few breeders near me, can't find anyone with Polands yet though...may the hunt continue!

Hi pekins are really very lovely...that's why that's all I have at the mo!!! I do think a covered run is a good idea (having only really done this properly myself recently :oops: ) It protects them against the wind as well as keeping their feet /knickers dry!! :lol:

My friendliest are 2 of my babies that I hatched with a broody last year...Martha and Florence!!!( they have both just started to lay!! :dance: ) They just follow me around and love to be cuddled!!! :D But of course they have their own personalities and my other baby is like her mum and a noisy nervous wreck!!! :roll:

You will enjoy whatever you choose... and you soon get used to whizzing out in your dressing gown to do the chickens!! :lol: Ok, well not at the moment!!!But do invest in a good pair of wellies!! :D

I've got my girls in a covered nearly-WIR (I'm 5"4 and can just manage to not bang my head :)) and they're on woodchip - no issues so far (touch wood). They only free-range at the weekends when we're at home - they free-range in the evenings in the summer but not at this time of year! I've only had my girls since April, so I'm definitely no expert, but they've been fine so far. I've got 2 young boys - aged 5 and 4 - and both can carry Astrid (one of my Pekins) around the garden for hours on end and Moneypenny, my Orp, loves cuddles and will sit on their knee, eat from their hands etc... My other Pekin isn't quite as friendly but will submit to the odd stroke and otherwise is a nosy by-stander :) She's friendlier than some other breeds I've seen, just not as docile as my other two.. She'll eat corn from your hand and follow you around quite happily though and, weirdly, she's the boys' favourite hen!

Welcome to the forum! :D

Hello and welcome!! :D

This forum is great!!! It has been an excellent source of information and support whenever I have needed it....LOTS :lol::lol::lol:

Mimi is absolutely right - I got my chickens last summer and have had a lot of ups and downs, but this community has been great! You certainly learn a lot as time passes with chickens! :)

Definitely post some pics when you get your chooks, we would love to see them!

x

Welcome to the Forum!

OK, I'd get 5 now rather than 3 or 4 - 5 hens are no harder to look after than 3 and it'll save you

from deciding to buy more in a few months and having to merge them and the inevitable pecking order squabbling that they'll go through for a couple of weeks.

Your garden is a fine size for hens - you can keep hens in a much smaller space than that with ease. Good move with

the walk-in run, I'd go a big run for that number of hens (my WIR has a cube inside and is 12ft x 6 ft). I got my run from aviaries4u. Lewis, the owner is a nice chap who makes great runs and will happily make you up extra panels if you

want to extend at some point. He doesn't deliver, but if you register with Shiply.com or similar you can auction the delivery job - someone is bound to deliver it to you for a reasonable price.

The cube will allow you to get more hens in the future and 5 hens in a cube is fine - they'll cosy up if it gets cold. On a cold night, when my 3 (2 full-size hens and one bantam)

are huddled together they're like little furnaces! I wouldn't worry too much about the cold -

hens have a higher body temperature than humans and their feathers are surprisingly good at trapping heat

(in fact, if you stroke a hen on a cold day, usually the feathers on its back is cold, ie it's not losing heat there).

Bear in mind though that the cube is a great and sturdy henhouse but it *is* heavy so to take it out of the run and powerwash it is a two person job.

I'd defs go POL (in reality this still means you could be waiting a month or so until they start laying) as they'll be old enough to look after themselves.

Your other option for the hens is buy the full package from Omlet - a cube AND hens, and a man comes out and sets it all up for you and gives you a mini training course! The gingernut ranger and pepperpot are lovely, friendly (and pretty) full-size hens. You could (possibly on the same day?) but a couple of bantams and chuck them in at the same time. If they go in at the same time there should be little in the way of squabbling as they'll all be new.

Silkies and Polands are lovely, quirky hens but not best suited to beginners (silkies need to be kept dry due to their feathered feet and polands due to their sight issues caused by feathers tend to be bullied if not kept to their own run)