redsunset

This morehens disease again

Thank you peeps, it was pretty darn stressful and I hope none of you go through that with your insurance needlessly. Aplologies if any of you are married to or are assessors but right now am mad (as that could have been an old person on their own or vulnerable person) so not my fav people right now!

Hope to get someone out in next day or so to finally replace felt ripped of new shed in storm as it's nice and dry for next couple of days? Straw inside getting soggy in the middle so want it cleared out on the weekend as not good for poor Mr Brahma and the girls who pop in for a ceilidh (visit)/and lay their eggs. . Removed all the eggs and sadly binned them from the flowerpot urn today and put it back upright. Need to search the garden as six odd eggs from over 25 laying chooks......hmm. I walked past that darned urn every day and never even noticed them! :wall:

People out walking their dogs must surely notice the doodles dotted around the branches of the Ash tree but no one has reported me for neglect yet! :lol:

Ha! I guessed you were gonna say that, lol! Guess it's a get there before the hounds do! :lol: Saw my little bichon carrying an egg off once but didn't know quite what to do with it! Now my hounds and chooks have separate ends so easy to know who the perpetrator is as in miss speckledy!

Thank you luvackicken. Lovely day here but surfaced late as have horrible chesty cold. Found Mr Brahma pottering outside the shed but only in shed vicinity, didn't stray far and his walking looked ok. Few hours later he was back in the shed by himself so I think it's fair to say he is now scared of Samson who has taken over the flock? As he gets company in the girls popping in to lay an egg in the corner (where he stands over them in protection mode) I'm not to worried for now. As days get longer and weather improves, I will open both shed doors to get him outside. Sad to see him as underdog now as he is such a majestic looking guy.

The garden looks terrible in the chook section as almost all the grass stripped (yes I DO have far to many) so finally have to admit that bit :oops::oops: spent the afternoon picking up trash blown in from last months storm and washing down the drive with hose. I even thought about parting with half of them......but know fine well it won't happen! What I do have to do is prevent any more being hatched so need to be vigilant this spring summer but also know how wily chooks can get in hiding that one! Hmmm..... :wall:

Aw sheesh, you guys aren't helping! You were supposed to tell me yes, you have far to many chooks and no wonder you have no grass, drains being clogged up and mud everywhere lol!

I'll let youse off as girls are producing a doz and a half a day and Mr Brahma venturing outside now, but keeping well away from the new boss.

Chicken auctions next month and will not peruse catalogue and give friends ANY orders, repeat last statement.............. :liar::shameonu::liar: ...... :whistle:

Got shed roof fixed tonight, new felt and guy put extra battens/tensioned wire on the lot! So now should survive any severe gales I hope. Had a peep in the window expecting to see Mr Brahma on his todd.....no sign!

Delighted to find him in a coop with a pile of ladies all around him :)

Two beach huts in use, one empty, new shed.......empty, trees full of the doodles and two speckledys in the willows!

If this carries on Might move lawn mower and my own tools into the shed! :roll:

Thank you jimmpaula, I was delighted to see the big guy out. No doubt there will now be a battle to ensue between himself and Samson the SLW to see who gets the crown as top cockerel......

He might not fight it, but part of me hopes he regains his title due to his sheer size and looks. I know both of them are big blouses underneath it all but still....... :lol:

The little black mum chook was caught today laying her eggs under an old broken pallet by the roadside by sheer fluke. She was the one who also laid in my terracotta urn last week! Slipping out through the gates to do it (same as she hatched chicks last year near the roadside) so extra vigilance re her carry on needed! :lol:

Very funny Mullethunter, do you not think I have enough?? Still deciding re new shed tho Mr Brahma was back in it today and five girls are laying their eggs in it while the Brahma stands over them?

Wet and wild today, chooks not amused but noticed no doodles in the tree tonight so off to a coop they went?

Catalogue of forthcoming rare and minority breeds not yet online......not that I'm checking I add...... :whistle:

Nothing exciting happening in Hebridean chooksville apart from no doodles in the Ash tree now for almost a week? Am delighted they have finally gone off to a coop but when weather improves it will be interesting to see if back to the tree they go?

Keep telling myself I need NO more chickens, but know a sale is coming up soon of rare and minority breeds and Mullethunter says I should get some. ........ :lol: I really do have enough at 39, but I would love an orp or a Vorwerk, maybe a favorelle or....lavenvelder, Scots dumpy.......or....... :whistle: .... :?:?:?

I'd forgotten re the cream legbar, and copper Marans, etc! Did have a beautiful double laced Barnevelder who very sadly died on me a few months after getting her. I got her as a solo chicken and she remained solo amongst the flock so I vowed never a solo intro again. The others blanked her, and I used to feel so sorry for her pottering on her own. From now on always in pairs or more as chooks can be so cruel to newbies . ....I don't need any more chooks tho.........as such... :liar:

No problem Mullethunter. I thoroughly recommend getting any newbies in twos or more. Will never do a single again in a flock for that reason. Hated seeing her trying to join in but shunted to the side, which she adhered to, so sad. Even weeks down the line it was the same. She was in the middle of the gang but 'on her own'..