redsunset

This morehens disease again

Had an unexpected trip away today to a large poultry auction! Was like a kid in a sweet shop, never saw so many stunning birds of every description.....came home with 3 big fluffy POL buff Orpingtons and a beautiful little blue laced wyandotte bantam :)

New chooks now in the new big shed with one of the buff doodles who was in on her own. The bantam hopped up the roosts beside her and then proceeded to tick her off for not being her sister! Feisty little madam but once the light went out peace should be restored and allow them tomorrow to settle after a long drive and ferry journey.

My first time at an auction and loved every second of it and met some lovely chicken people.

Will take pics over the coming days...... :)

More new girls....your a naughty girl :shameonu:

They are very lucky newbies and I'm sure you are going to enjoy every minute with them..

I'm off now to rehome 1417 lucky commercial girls who would have been for the chop today, gonna try and sneak in a few extras (I always do) so most likely we will take closer to 1450

Will you really find homes for that many Gavclojak? That's brilliant!

Redsunset that's why I will never allow myself to go to a poultry auction! Wyandotte bantams are such pretty girls but mine certainly don't take any s**t! I know Luvachicken had some who were less than friendly to her Pekins, so I reckon your new bantam will hold her own with the bigger girls :D

Congratulations on your new charges - looking forward to the photo's :D

I know, I know....I am terrible but can you imagine going all that way and not getting some birds....... :whistle:

Our weather is terrible, the constant rain has been awful and more gales due tonight! Mud and a moat in parts......another reason why no more fluffy footed birds. Not fair on them up here!

I thoroughly enjoyed the auction and saw so many unusual tiny bantams that were so cute but not for our weather or in with my other big bruisers. The little wyandotte is not that small and will hold her own I can tell. Her feathers were lovely and she looked so healthy (had some long time breeder experts with me)

Gavclojak, well done on your re homing programme......that must be so satisfying :)

Am away down to shed now to see how the new girls are faring. Put plenty food and water in last night so gave them peace to settle. Oh, and I HAVE to clean the coops rain or no rain.......yuk!

I have just left the farm and am on the way to the rehoming, I had to share this with you guys, we were taking the hens from the top colony unit and opposit in a cage was the most stunning white hen I have ever seen! I said to the farmer that she deserved to be retired, she had another 6 months left to serve..... :x but he let me take her and another one from that cage :lol:

Now they really are chickens of fate and they are on their was to there forever homes...so happy for all my girls xx

Wow, believe it or not a sunny afternoon.......sure helping with the coop cleaning! :) let the newbies out whilst the orps are a bit shy, and probably confused as to where they are, they have been very inquisitive in my coop cleaning! The wee bantam is pottering happily among the big girls, no fear there! Bedtime will obviously have to be supervised to make sure they go to the shed ok, but I imagine they will as the flock prefer stuffing themselves into the three coops!

One more coop to go, then leave them to air out for a few hours. So pleased the new girls got a nice day for their first outing in the Hebrides! Tomorrow it will be rain and gales! :roll:

[quote name="redsunset" I bet you are a good salesperson on re homing day in 'can you take two more?'.......... :lol:

Snow to the Eskimo's redsunset...I even rehomed a buff Orpington cockerel from the rescue centre that we rehome from so I'm very happy, he is off with 20 ex commercial girls and a 50 acre farm to live on complete with an orchard and small wood!!!

What a lovely day for your new girls to meet her cohorts, let's hope for a long hot summer :clap:

Knew I'd be right on that front gavclojak! Well done, and so pleased you managed to rehome a lovely boy as well, he won't know what's hit him, a farm AND 50 ladies to keep in line!! :lol:

Seems my new buff orps have gone to bed in a coop with Mr Brahma and the wee feisty bantam is on her lonesome in the big shed! The little buff doodle who was in there last night took off to her tree on her own.....seems one night with the new banty was enough?! Don't know why this little one is not going to bed with the rest of her siblings after being with them since last July?

If the little wyandotte is on her own again tomorrow then I'll put her into a coop after dark, I'm not having her on her own, but for tonight I'll leave her be as all new to her.

And Mullethunter , dust bathing, sun bathing!? My lot follow any hint of sun any chance they get and have made holes under the coops in a vain effort to dust bath! If they were hippos, then plenty mud but..... :roll:

When is it spring? Or has it forgotten us up north here!

Well and truly rumbled, lol! You have me to a T gavclojak, I'm very consistent in my inconsistencies!!

Just been outside I between gusts as very bad storm here tonight. 70mph +. Battened down all the coops and had wee panic as couldn't find the wee banty, on third look noticed her tucked very snugly between a row of my old girls :D

About 8 chooks in new shed.......result! :clap:

Half expected my new chooks to have packed their bags and marched off to the ferry demanding to get off this island and back to better weather!! :lol:

My poor roof is still in a queue to get fixed since the insurance hassle and the big storm in January so wouldn't be surprised to lose more slates tonight.....sheesh! Least the chooks are safe.

most stunning white hen I have ever seen

What breed is that.

I bought white leghorn as young chicks. 2 died, three are pullets now but they are laying cream colored egg and they don't look like leghorn, I don't know what breed are they, may be mixed breed. last week I bought 5 white star POL, I don't know the difference between leghorn and white star.

Mars, re the leghorns I think they are a pure breed. I have three I call white leghorns but are actually hybrids so are probably what you refer to as white stars? They are slim flighty chickens with a large (sometimes floppy comb) and they lay pure white eggs. Hope this helps?

I think Spring is finally in the air I tentatively say? We have had four glorious dry sunny days and garden is drying up fast. Even had lunch outside yesterday! The chooks were so happy dust bathing and just lazing around spreading a wing out, it was so lovely to see. It was one LONG wet stormy winter so am feeling optimistic??

New chooks have settled in like they have always been here and examined the whole garden, even sun bathing next to the big Brahma boy. The little wyandotte bantam is one of the gang and potters about happily :)

Chook keeping was a pleasure this weekend, no problem cleaning out etc......January, February I hated every minute of it, slipping and sliding in mud! I may have a home for one of last years hatch (boys) so fingers crossed I get a couple of good pics of them, and hopefully the new prospective owner likes one :pray::)

Mars, re the leghorns I think they are a pure breed. I have three I call white leghorns but are actually hybrids so are probably what you refer to as white stars? They are slim flighty chickens with a large (sometimes floppy comb) and they lay pure white eggs. Hope this helps?

Thank you Redsunset

I asked the breeder what are the parents "cock and hen" of the white star he said "he doesn't know".

Lovely day pottering with the girls but one thing caught me! Saw one of the doodles doing what (I thought she!) shouldn't be doing to one of my chooks!! Groan, now I am questioning two of what I thought were females!! You would think after eight months the sex would have been clear?! Two large boys and thought eight girls, now....hmm. Have a feeling there was at least four cocks in that hatch. At least one is assured a good home. The other three may have a home but think after a time it will be for their plates but have to be honest and admit I'd rather they had a good life and fed someone than me having to put them down. Can't keep 6 cockerels, am ok with two..... :?

So nice to see bulbs coming up, ground finally drying out and took in 21 eggs today. Chap came to door for two doz and mum went off with another 6, so two days eggs almost gone. Am getting a tiny cream egg every day and don't know if it's the little banty or one of the doodles as yet :)

Oh dear....another lad!! Your right if he has a lovely free range life and is then culled it's a hell of a lot better than lots of then get. We have a real problem with cockerels at the moment due to school hatching Projects, our local animal sanctuary had four, we managed to rehome one when we did out last BHWT rehoming.

I know you did, and was envious it was a buff Orpington as not to be had up here! But, I do love my brahma and SLW boy so that's plenty for now. It's such a shame that it's the worst bird to be born a boy. Not their fault, but people only want hens and most can't even keep one due to neighbours. Dunno what mine think having four vocal,and two maybe thinking about it......... :whistle: ......not asking.....

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I would like to hatch more and maybe sell on. I wouldn't mind keeping the birds for the table as cockeral meat, as it is much tastier than hen. I am such a coward though and could only do this if someone could prepare the bird for the table for me. Is this wrong?