redsunset

This morehens disease again

Looks like you have it all sussed redsunset. My neighbours are ok with my few hens but would not tolerate too much noise. That's the price of urban chook keeping I'm afraid. I think the new neighbours would have to accept it if they moved in knowing hens were around but it's the old timers I try to consider.

As you sound semi-rural and as you say other farm animals are around its not relevant.

I have to say I love reading your posts, your trials and tribulations, you should write a little book a bit like your posts. You could be the Carrie Bradshaw of the chicken world :lol:

Carrie Brahshaw? There was a day...in the 80's where my stiletto collection would have rivalled hers (not in price, just quantity!) am now squarely in the comfort area or in wellies! :lol:

The chooks will have to work hard to earn a crust from now on as had the insurance assessor round tonight and no payout for my roof damage as said my tiles were basically knackered!! :shock: You need a new roof!

No money for that so will need to find someone to patch up a lot of slates for now......and sell every egg the ladies produce!

The joys of living in a wind swept place and buying a hundred year old house! Not even been out to see if the chooks are ok tonight as still in shock.

I'm just not in the mood tonight Mullethunter. :( tomorrow is a new day and once I have slept on it I will come up with a solution. A new roof and I have a fair bit would be 15-18k.....and I'm to old sell my body so every egg will count! :)

Ach, it will work out, as thankfully I'm not a natural worrier for long. Thank goodness I bought the new chook shed before getting hit with this. Will patch the roof up for now and then take it from there.

That doesn't sound right to me. I would speak to the insurance company. You're not asking them for a new roof, the tiles didn't fall off in normal conditions, so it can't of been that knackered. You've paid your premium, tell them you want them to pay for the repair. Get a quote if you can. I speak as an ex insurance broker and I'm married to one. :?

Had to pluck chickens out of flower pots, windowsill etc tonight as delivery guy with chook food closed gate and locked them in 'my' bit of garden! Only four but the leghorn screamed blue murder, they are so darned flighty.

Sadly I found a speckledy dead in the nest box yesterday, prob about 2 and a half yr old.

Roof debacle continues. Not pleased at all with assessor. Spent ten minutes in the dark looking at one side of roof, took digital photos and went through the three bags of broken slates until he found an 'old slate' to snap by hand. I doubt any appeal will work but will try. Island swarming with assessors just now and seems a couple are turning everyone down for some reason or another. My worry is if turned down and I repair damage myself, is my home insurance still valid? He wanted me to reslate whole roof! Chickabee, any ideas??? Can I repair and still be insured? :pray:

Don't forget the assessor is working for the insurance company not you. Some of them are independent and have no in depth knowledge of policies. The damage was caused by the weather, not your roof being old, and if they say it was an act of God, punch them :lol: . Of course they would be brittle, slate is. Oh they annoy me. Keep going and lots of luck. Sonya x

Mr Brahma took a few steps out of the shed today and had a potter about. Have to say his walking looked ok, but think his confidence is shot after being indoors for a few weeks? He then went into a coop, so not sure if he's in there tonight or gone back to shed? Samson the big SLW is not about to now lose his crown as new top chook so think the Brahma is keeping out of his way.

Chickabee, a stiff letter was fired if to the insurance as heard that this particular assessor was refusing lots of roof claims! How anyone can refuse a roof in the dark only reaching rhone pipe height on one side with a wee torch is beyond me. If still a no, ombudsman, if they say no then I can't say I didn't go down without a fight... :evil:

Thank you luvackicken. I hope his leg is better. Don't like seeing him so docile even tho he was a big blouse! Want him to be back as king of the flock but it will all depend on his leg being tiptop. I'll soon be able to see if that's the case. If he is better then it may lead to a dispute between the big boys, the younger two boys will keep well out of it! :lol:

Good for you. Slate is brittle plus it had suffered a trauma and it had been on the ground in freezing conditions., of course it would beak. As for saying you need a new roof, that was a very sweeping statement. I bet if you got a local roofer to give you an estimate they would say it's repairable. If that's a builders opinion that should stand. Fingers crossed for you :pray:

Local guy with 300 free range chooks had this awful thing happen .....

Can't seem to copy the pic but maybe just as well. Little warren with 2 feet of entrails in a long loop. Guy did cull the poor chook but I've never read of this before!? Has anyone ever seen it!?

Oh my gosh that sound horrific.

My poor son found a cat impaled on some railings about a year ago and it had to be a deliberate act of vile cruelty. My son is 32 and he was absolutely traumatised and to make matters worse the RSPCA took two and a half hours to come out, while my sone tried to comfort the poor cat...I cancelled my donation :evil:

Oh my gosh! How aweful!

I once found a gull which was hit by a car and had a horribly broken wing. So took it home and called the animal ambulance. Took them 2 hours to come over too! (In the mean time the gull had made his bid for freedom twice...) and when they finally arrived, the lady asked me if the bird would bite her! :shock:

Well yes! It's in pain! And very angry!

She was too affraid to stuff the gull in their carrier herself so I did it. Have far less respect for the animal ambulance people now... :evil:

Wow, some awful stories there! Esp the poor cat, I'd have been furious! For those of you not of a bad squeamish nature u can google airanlot.com and you can see the pic in question. Never seen anything like it and hope I never do. I did place Katags bits back inside her recently and that was no problem and she is still pottering happily (no large oddly shaped eggs) so I hope she's stopped laying for that reason.

No major yarns from the Hebridean chooksville. We have had more of the White stuff fall out of the sky and chooks are quite used to it, and yes doodles still in the tree and a moulting speckledy in the willows but have given up trying to move them!

Mr Brahma will not come out of the shed, so not sure what to do about him. The girls prefer to pop in there to lay in a corner so he gets visitors but hard to judge his walking when just pottering about in the new shed? Have removed ply from one of the windows so at least he has daylight but think he is now scared of Samson so prefers meals on wheels in his new abode but it's been a few weeks now. As the days stretch and weather improves will see what his walking is like outside. If he still appears lame in any way outside then vet again (and I'm not sure what the outcome there will be) but not fair to let him continue as he is. Seems to potter fine indoors but need to see him walking outside to tell.....

Will take him outside soon and see how he walks. If ok, might make him stay out for a few hours when I am around. If I think the lameness is still there then back to the vets as suggested. My fear is that the original bumble foot has travelled into the bone and after a fair bit of reading on that it seems to be almost impossible to treat. Here's hoping that is not the case. I'd hate to lose him as he is a lovely big bird and a gentle guy. Anyone else experienced this?

I do hope that is the case and a wee potter outside on Saturday will help? Can but try.

Had to laugh at lunchtime. On way up the drive I looked over to where a couple of flower pots are, and one biggish urn that lies on its side had about ten eggs inside it! The little black chook who hatched her chicks last summer was stashing them all in there! Did check tonight with a torch to make sure she wasn't broody and sat on them but no, she was high up in a tree with her kids!

Home insurance have changed their minds and are now paying out for roof repairs after all. The lady I spoke to on the phone even admitted the assessor should not have visited in the dark (spent ten mins only looking at one tiny non damaged bit of roof anyway!). Delighted with the outcome :)