redsunset

This morehens disease again

Thanks for your kind words everyone :) Felt so sorry for the chooks today, blowing a gale and big hailstones! Bought some plain yoghurt which I mixed into presoaked pellets......they were not amused but had a peck. No pleasing my lot!!

My Brahma still hobbling and refuses to look at mash or pellets but will very happily eat pumpkin seed bread (where I hide the baytril) and grains. I feel that's not enough? He will leave the mash to go sour which then gets dumped. His fluffy sister and a speckledy are in with him for company so maybe that will get him eating properly with a bit of competition? :roll:

Well it's a nice day, chooks enjoying the sunshine and used my good soup pan to boil up greens, carrots, spaghetti and mixed in pellets and corn!......will see how that goes down???

1E01DD96-AA4B-4FF6-A42C-B02671C136AF.jpg

My chux have just seen this picture - they've asked if you can lay three extra places at the table, they'll be round pronto!!!!!! :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: yup, all for the chooks, well I do have just over 40 I think?? Grub went down well, esp the worms (spaghetti)!!!!! :lol: Got 3 very large bags of veg in tesco last night, average price 2p per bag of carrots, greens, cabbages etc.......so had an idea what I was gonna do with some of it? ... :whistle:

Full tummies is right, could even swear they staggered off to bed 10 mins earlier to sleep it off! :lol: Good thing is Mr Brahma had a nice full crop too I noticed when I was bathing his feet in the shed, so he's finally eating better which makes me hope his foot isn't as painful?

Will prep more veg tonight to do another pot in the am as hols now over and back to the grindstone tomorrow. It was lovely being off especially with the two who died. At least they were indoors and didn't find their wee bodies outside.

Roll on spring and bright nights again!

Coincidence? After that big pot of extra goodies the Chooks got yesterday the egg count shot up from 6 up to 12 today?? They got the same again this morning! :lol:

Gosh :shock: lucky you.

Perhaps you should give us all the recipe so our girls can start laying eggs.

Maybe they have popped the eggs out to allow extra room for their goodies :D

Sheesh, another drama this morning. Wee Isa Katag, noticed her vent pulsating and something that looked like an organ sticking out! Grabbed her as thought a prolapse! Managed to put her in warn water with savlon and get contents back in and could feel an egg. Put her in utility room in the warmth in box of straw and kept her quiet, water but no food.

No egg produced but mucky bum and seems quite perky. Nothing else has protruded so keeping her quiet and warm till the morning. If no egg, will try the warm bath and see if that helps.

I knew one hen was laying quite a biggish egg that was never a perfect oval so now assume it's her and this one is stuck? As she is fine and red comb, not displaying any signs of illness or pain I thought wait and see if nature takes its course.

And to top all that a storm possible on Friday through the night of gusts of 80-90??! Hopefully may change track yet and if not, parka/torch/wellies to get the doodles out of the tree again....... :wall:

Delighted to say Katag is just fine today and no sign of anything coming out of her vent.....phew. She was most indignant this morning demanding food so she is now back out with the others :)

Noticed the doodles are very happy to shelter in the coops through the day so wondering if they might think of staying there if the weather does get bad this weekend? Save me slipping in mud with a gale and torch??......

Forecast is still awful, the gusts could be over 90mph and worried re my new shed but not a lot I can do about it but pray it doesn't get flattened! :shock: Will close the coops down tomorrow night and check to see where the doodles are and relocate if needed..... Chook keeping in the winter is NOT fun!

Yes, I saw the weather last night and it does look like you could be in for a windy session.

I hope your shed manages to stay up especially as you have only just got it.

We are surrounded by lots of big trees and I really don't like it here in the wind and the chickens often go in the dog crate in our dining room, but I guess you couldn't really do that with 40 or so.

I hope you all stay safe and the wind doesn't do too much damage.

Do let us know how you are when things have calmed down a bit won't you xxx

Spent lunchtime running around getting plywood and had it fitted to the shed windows before I went back to work. Fingers crossed the roof stays on. At the moment at 6.45 it's relatively calm, just a little breezy. Wheelie bins placed on their sides, still a couple of things to gather outside, like flowerpots and very shortly the doodles out of the tree. Could see they were up there by the light of the car and one looks a bit high to reach, wee buff one!!!

Candles at the ready and will batten down the chooks as best as I can. Doubt I will sleep much....... :shock: Will post in the am only if I have power... :pray:

Could only reach one buff doodle! Four left in the trees! Have left every outside light on in the hope that they will make their way to a coop (that's still open for now) Took a silly Isa out of the willows so that's four chooks in the shed with Mr Brahma. Five doodles went to a coop, at last :clap:

Will be in and out with a torch storm permitting, hail showers and wind now picking up.

Wind getting bad now and every so often I shine a torch through one of my kitchen windows.....wee buff still hanging on 15 FT up the Ash tree! If she does get blown off, then their old broody coop is just below and back of it is off it so some shelter there. Silly chooks, but it was calm earlier..... :wall:

All schools are shut tomorrow. Should be calm by midday?