redsunset

This morehens disease again

We all survived the storm, fair bit of damage though. Mostly slates all over the garden, one hen house damaged and felt off the new shed but chooks all ok. Seems stornoway recorded 113 mph last night and am half dead as hardly slept. Off to work a bit late now......

Power just back for the second time, a lot of ppl still off. The four doodles survived no problem outside thankfully. How they weren't blown away in a storm of that intensity I have no idea but the were awaiting breakfast this morning among the carnage of a mountain of smashed slates. A lot of ppl fared worse with horrendous damage but the builders will be busy for months and all major insurers crying!

Thankfully off tomorrow and looking forward to a sleep. Wind getting strong again but nothing like last night. Tomorrow the clean up starts outside. Saw some doodles in the trees but as they survived last night no problem am not so worried now. Flipping hardy wee things, well hardier than me anyway! :lol:

Only did a little clean up today as snow showers and stong winds. More snow coming down just now and another gale due! All the chooks were pottering about in between showers and managed to entice 8 into the shed and closed them in. The doodles have taken themselves off to a coop. One is still damaged but it will be next week before that gets repaired.

The got the big soup pan full of hot mash, carrots, greens and spaghetti today. That's all they were worried about.....grub! Weather dies not seem to faze them to much at all? :roll: I'm just praying power stays on, been on and off a couple of times but some are still of since Thursday..........brrrrrrr!

Thanks everyone. :) another windy night but after last week I consider a wind of 50-65 nothing but a breeze! Upside is all the doodles have finally abandoned the tree :clap:

I knew I'd find a use for the strong empty pellet bags......filled four of them with broken slates today. Perfect for the job!

Now I just dream and hanker after this kind of day again (taken end of August, lovely day washing out, egg collecting and cleaning the chook house) my bit of garden.

217A7907-89D6-4F18-A9A5-295B48204923_2.jpg

That picture is lovely, I can almost smell your clean washing( it's a thing of mine) I always sniff the washing when I get it off the line, I don't own a dryer, I don't like them!

Glad to hear the doddles have finally used their noggins and admitted defeat and also that your safe! Pots of wonderful good stuff to keep your little ones warm too, phew they are lucky indeed.

You two are just plain daft, lol......washing sniffers indeed! You can't beat a good Hebridean breeze through your clean sheets mind. Bet you both have very specific washing/fabric conditioners too!

Now a table with a nice bbq in the background comes to mind (no chicken on my menu tho!) A nice steak?

Roll on summer and no mud! :)

DDF61E1A-F921-4B66-B1B9-EB920BDC2E2F.jpg

See....we do get some nice weather up here...... :)

Don't forget a stuffed pepper with spring onions, rice, pine nuts, lime and chilli, coriander.......yum! Och you can tell I am fed up with winter as are my poor chooks!

Mr Brahma still hobbling despite the meds so not sure what his outlook is. He does not attempt to come out of the shed, although the girls go in the pop hole to help him with his lunch. Eating well but if he can't walk and hold his head up as king of the flock again? Once the baytril is done will attempt one more visit to the vet. Really don't want to part with him as he's a lovely guy but don't want to prolong his suffering either?.....to be continued.

I have a cupboard full of washing powder and fabric softner. I just have to buy it when it's on special offer. You have to be careful in my house cause if it doesn't move it goes in the washing machine. What a saddo :lol: I even like to look at the washing on the line when it's a good drying day

Well I won't be putting a washing out until about March! Unless I want my neighbour to bring my drawers back size...........um no ta!

Just ironed all the Christmas tablecloths and napkins and left to air. I usually forget until dec the 24th! Be smug next year.

Have another few pics showing what water damage and chooks do.....

First pic, march

AF5B3199-241F-4711-8690-376928DC0C80_1.jpg

Next pic

62464089-439F-44F0-95BA-9395A56183AD.jpg same area drained and planted

Those are various colours of delphiniums luvackicken. And NO! Chooks are not allowed in this bit of garden. This is mine and the dogs sanctuary, away from the diggers and marauders that patrol the rest!! One flower that went on and on was cosmos so definitely lots more of that too this year. I am slowly figuring out what shrubs work well with chickens and which never to plant again, so will tidy up their bit as well. I find the larger the shrub the better so will buy some more biggish ones or grow them on potted in my area first. :)

We have 2" of snow tonight.......but no doodles in the trees, result! :lol:

Strange sight on coming down the drive tonight considering we have snow. Five chooks milling around my back door? One of them in a flower pot (3 yr old bluebell)???? They are all older chooks so not low in pecking order? That was around 6pm when they should have been in bed since over an hour!

Wellies on, caught them one by one and in the shed. Plucked a speckledy out of the willows...shed. Did a head count, and found 21 in one coop very well huddled and only five in the other?! Few missing.....checked the Ash tree, six doodles and mum! I give up! :wall:

Maybe it's because one coop is out of action after damage so has upset the sleeping order but they were fine the other nights? Guess I'll just have to check every night as don't want to find a poor frozen chook on my doorstep especially as not Ill. checked their crops on way down to shed, all full.