redsunset

This morehens disease again

Chickabee, I'd say not. If you are a meat eater than then you know what you are eating and if a nice butcher could do the prep for you at cost if you could not yourself then it's all good. Otherwise cockerels go to waste by culling very young so I'd say go for it.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I would like to hatch more and maybe sell on. I wouldn't mind keeping the birds for the table as cockeral meat, as it is much tastier than hen. I am such a coward though and could only do this if someone could prepare the bird for the table for me. Is this wrong?

Gosh not wrong at all, in fact I would say it is very responsible of you. In an ideal world you would hatch and keep all of them but the reality is that it isn't going to happen.

IF I was a meat eater I still don't think I would be brave enought to eat my birds but I applaud anyone who can do that. I met a guy recently that kept pigs, he gave them a good life and a good death.

I can't argue with that.

Yesterday I found a rooster fighting with my rooster across the fence. I chased him away to our neighbor's land, just to find out it wasn't his. he said someone dumped it there and drove away. the problem now he sleeps in the trees nearby and crows all the time. :wall:

That is so irresponsible! To dump a poor cockerel in the woods expecting him to fend for himself! Makes me mad. It would have been kinder to try and rehome and if not to have dispatched. As the rule goes, you hatch you must be prepared to despatch. I have now I think possible 7cockerels, 2 I intend to keep as had them anyway. One is going to a flock soon, the other four might go to be free ranged for eventual table and if not, I have to make the hard decision but would never dump them. I care for them all individually to much.

Off my soapbox for tonight, and the sun did come out today! :)

Once they have been plucked they lose their identity and therefore easier to deal with the rest of the butchering. We were lucky in that we only had one boy - which was a girl until he crowed (even though his tail feathers were getting rather pretty and we sort of knew). But he'd had lots of pampering and a garden to run round. It was quite timely in that he attacked our queen bee orpington the day before and it upset DD. I guess he was just trying to show her he was going to be boss instead. It didn't work because she trounced him. :lol:

Valkyrie, it wouldn't be me culling and eating. I may know someone who would take them and grow them on. I applaud those who do, but having nurtured them from babies I could never eat them myself........far to soft I guess! :roll:

Had a stroke of luck as came home in daylight and tried to take a pic of one of the cockerels for re homing........noticed a little Isa brown with her head wedged tight in between the slats of the picket fence! Thought she was dead but managed to slide it down and she was fine! Had I not been home earlier she would have been dead by morning. The neighbours have a dog who thankfully wasn't around tonight or it may have been even worse!! :shock: ...phew

That wee chook was very lucky! Her eyes were closed as if resigned to her fate. She was very subdued today and not really pottering much or eating so am wondering if she damaged her neck/throat and is a bit tender? Will keep an eye out. Neck moving fine but I always get suspicios when not as busy as the others......maybe I'm just fussing but..did pick her up at 1.30pm, empty crop...,hmm. Will see what the next few days bring as she may have been in shock.

Very sadly, she didn't make it. Found her dead today :( possibly her neck was damaged although outward appearances looked good, it was the fact she was a bit slow yesterday that made me suspicious. Wish I had taken her in yesterday but something tells me it would have made no difference. Will now have to scrutinise the fence as temptations to reach grass in neighbouring gardens means it could happen again so will board the lower sections where needed.

Thanks everyone. It was a freak accident I know, but still sad as thought she may be ok. :(

Have a home for one of my cockerels and she will take a trio. So I'll give her a buff and silver doodle to keep him company. They are off to a nice big farm with an assortment of hybrids so pleased a boy is being rehomed. :)

Am now not so sure it was the little Isa who was stuck in the fence who died?! Have a feeling it was my little favourite one Katag who had little squint toes. Didn't see the funny toes at my feet tonight so guessing now it was her (they are all very alike mostly) She laid a misshapen egg and none in the nest boxes today..... :( Fixed her prolapse a couple of months back and she did fine. Always at my feet with miss Amber in the garden incase she missed anything. I'm pleased the little fence chook is ok, but was sad not to see 'funny toes' tonight....

Guess I'm odd as when I bought her I asked for the one with the crooked toes as felt sorry for her and just liked her quirky look! Will double check tomorrow am but am sure now it was her. This might sound a bit graphic but on bagging her up I did look at toes and if it was her, they had straightened after death if that makes sense? Which is why I was confused and thought it was the wee Isa that had been stuck in the fence? Tomorrow will be absolutely certain. Chicken keeping is lovely/terrible/ and downright sad at times!

Had a txt last night from fried to be vigilant as buzzard/or raven had taken an eye out if her wee call duck three miles away and vet couldn't save her, she was gutted.

My goodness poor you redsunset, I guess you have lost one and it make little difference which one as it's still a sad loss isn't it. Sleep tight little girl.

Well done for finding a lovely home for your boy, what a happy chappy he is going to be.

Your poor friend, how horrible to find her duck like that, my mum keeps koi and a few years ago she came home to find two on the grass, it seems they had been pulled out the water and they had the eyes missing, I was so shocked as her koi are huge....horrible beyond words

That's horrible gavclojak, re your mums Koi!! I rarely see crows or Ravens here as guessing with so many trees, they haven't got a fast line of escape. Cat on patrol helps a bit too? Few pigeons looking for corn now and then, and have never seen a buzzard but always a first time?

Roof finally fixed :) Thought I had lost 50-60 slates but guy fixed well over 120 of them!! :shock: Rain here has been relentless so not fun for the chooks. Must take a pic of the moat around my house and what 'used ' to be a sort of lawn to shock you. Horrible, so drainage, drainage drainage!! The mud is unbelievable but I do have my wellies! :)

Have to box a cockerel and hopefully two buff doodles for a farm this week. The other 3 cockerels I can't find a home for so when I pluck up the courage (may take a whiley yet??) it will be the vets..... :(

After a run around and lots of scrabbling about in the hailstones, managed to box a cockerel, a buff sister and a silver one and they have been picked up and away to a farm. Proud of myself parting with some chickens as know they will have a fab life and certainly the boy as no competition :wink:

Still determined to keep asking around for the other boys. Chicken keeping has grown tenfold up here so not sure if that will make it easier or not?

Tomorrow will see the lady who received them and hope she is happy with them :)