redsunset

This morehens disease again

Thank you! Some chooks used to sleep on it in the summer but it's in my bit of garden now. They still have a knackered old steamer lounger in their garden to perch on! Wind has picked up and more snow showers so glad I got those errant (unusual behaviour ) chooks to bed?

Joys of winter! :)

Hope the bungee cord worked for the shower curtain over the WIR Mullethunter? Another awful night up here, with very strong gusts but should be over by morning. Have a candle lit just incase. Poor chooks! A speckledy is moulting badly and looks like a moth eaten old feather duster, bless her so hope she is in the middle of the huddle tonight.

No idea if any wee chooks in the tree as to many loose slates to chance looking. My wee sis gave me hell for being out checking the chooks last Thursday at 1.30 am when storm at its peak. Some slates were wedged in the ground guillotine style so yes I was stupid! Not doing that again. :shameonu::oops:

Hope your wee chooks were tucked up well luvackicken? I bet they were indoors for the night? That was me last Thursday, awake till 4am, never heard a storm like it and I'm deaf! Blew a loft hatch down indoors and a clock of my bedroom mantelpiece with the vibration (my walls are 2and a half FT thick as well!) How the four doodles clung on in the lower tree I have no idea! Amazed my new chook shed stayed up as lots of damage up here. Roll on spring!

:lol: promise I won't! I'd be to worried no one would look after them or fuss over them in the manner I'd want so will stay indoors, and alive to continue in the manner they are used to :lol:

Glad the bungee worked! Have put a puppy pad down for the dogs as they are not allowed out either.

My two will use a puppy pad no problem in inclement weather. Out of choice they would all winter but they love being outside too! No chance tonight! As for the forty three.....I need to do a head count, rem I lost two after Christmas so actually have no idea how many I have.......say forty one? Cough......

All calm here again, tho saw some chooks roosting on the old steamer lounge chair while it was snowing! If we still have the snow tomorrow will take pics as they look lovely in the snow. They have come to expect my big soup pan full off cooked veg and hot mash now so have made a rod for my own back. No hot pan.....and just pellets and they go off muttering like there is no tomorrow.... To make luvackicken happy there was only four eggs today instead of the usual 9-12 so they don't like this stormy cold weather either! :lol:

I know! It's raining now so by tomorrow will be back to the proverbial mud. The chooks looked so pretty against the snow today. Bought a roll of felt today so hopefully get the new shed recovered next week. Noticed the straw inside getting damp and don't want mr brahma on damp straw. Think his walking is a little better, his appetite certainly is :)

Gavclojak you are correct in that I have neighbours close by. No one has complained about the hens at all and there has been a new house built in the field behind me and they have hens too. I did ask the people who were renting the house that's very close to my fence if the cockerels bothered them and if so to let me know, they said they didn't mind them at all and when I clocked a couple of chicken ornaments in their kitchen windowsill I knew I was fine! New renters are there now and they've not said anything either.

While only being a couple of miles outside the town, this is still classed as country as sheep, cows and a few horses are in surrounding fields. Hopefully it will stay like that despite a lot of new buils in the 20 yrs I've been in this area. :)

Get a LOT of egg announcements in the spring/summer not to mention the cock a doodle dos! I have to boys among last yrs hatch but so far not a peep

No mud yet as ground is totally frozen! Just been outside to see who was in the willows. Saw the speckledy who resembles a moth eaten duster due to moulting badly, caught her and she escaped amid much screeching her displeasure. Can't find her now, think she is behind a phorminum (spikey New Zealand flax thing) so will look later. Had a look in shed and Mr brahma is roosting all on his todd. No girls in with him, no loyalty here! Samson the big SLW has taken over so he has been abandoned apart from his sister who pops in through the day to help scoff his food.

Really thought the moulting chook would have chosen to be in the huddle in a coop but seems on observation other chooks chase away moulting chooks and due to pain of incoming pin feathers they give them a wide bearth. Hope she will be ok :pray: