redsunset

This morehens disease again

Newbies all settling ok and now roosting in the big shed every night now. Still checking with a torch after work!

The plymouths and the crested legbars are still very shy and think I'm the devil to be avoided at all costs despite bringing treats.........will take time. One big huge favorelles is near trying to follow me through the gate every day at feeding time, not shy at all :)

Luvachicken if you stayed near you'd be joining the gang of ladies who go to the rare breeds poultry auction with us twice a year! Huge fun, shopping and then auction next day, love it! 5 of us in the group now and we talk chickens on the ferry (among other things!) and have a fab time. Was astounded at some prices at auction, saw some pullets reach over £100 plus for two in several breeds. Not telling what I spent on 6 chickens or I'll be carted off.

Hello millie30! Yes saw a few bobtails and they were lovely. Love the cute wee Pekins and lots of lovely other littlies of all kinds :)

Planning on taking at least 4 to next auction in March but know I will fret no end! Who will buy them? Will they be good to them? I know I have to move some on but.......I'm the biggest softie on the planet when it comes to my girls (and boys!) :? They will all become favourites! I will need the buyers names/ financial status/grandparents maiden names/photos of coop....... :lol::lol:

Blimey that's steep! The trouble with NW Scotland is I've seen the forecast for tomorrow... It's going to be bad enough down here but with wind like this coming in I really don't envy you up there - batten down the hatches and keep the chooks out of the trees! When we were watching the weather this morning even OH said 'not good for Scottish chooks in trees'!

After the hurricane we had in January of 120mph plus, a gale of 70 does not faze me the same. Still about 10 in the trees, but hopefully they will have the sense to come down to a coop tomorrow?? With Hebridean chooks you never can tell! If more than 5 FT up I can't reach them and the appenzellers are always about 15 FT up so :?

Thankfully the new chooks I bought go happily into the big shed now every night and the babies have their little coop back. Babies are about 9 weeks now so snuggle together in deep straw and will be fine. Will tip the bins in their sides as fed up in winter finding the recycling plastics all over the garden! Will post on Friday night as to how everyone survived the storm... :pray:

Dreadful night up here, wee bit worse than I thought! Winds are 60-70mph and torrential rain showers on and off!! Took two littlies off a tree branch as only 3 FT up whilst out with a torch earlier. Another 7 big ones high up out of reach and nothing I can do about that so hope they survive the storm ok..... :pray:

Didn't get my chook food delivery today as prob too dodgy for high sided lorries to be out so hope I get it tomorrow as nearly out of chick crumb and pellets!

Half the contents of my recycling bin are now around my back door so assume most of the wheelie bins are tipped over (maybe some chickens are in there Gavclojak???) :lol:

See what tomorrow brings! :?

All the chooks survived thecstorm just fine! Half expected to find a body or two below the trees but they were totally unfazed and scratching about looking for breakfast the morning after! They are obviously a lot hardier than I give them credit for and I guess for hundreds of years long before our cosy coops were invented that's how they would have lived? I know some of today's more delicate breeds wouldn't fare so well up here which is why I try and get hardier breeds.......tho some poultry friends have frizzles, silkies etc and they do just fine :)

Another stormy horrible night! Hate this weather with a passion! For about two to three months every winter I want to give my chooks away but then spring comes and harmony is restored (in me)!

As for Molly coddling, I have a little Thuringian chick in a box in the bathroom! 4 weeks old and found her in the box with the others upside down. Took her out and in a box with two teddies to keep her upright, honey in water and left the heating and light on all day for her. Not sure if she's going to make it but want to give her a wee chance. Eating a bit not sure about drinking and semi wobbly? Hope it's not mareks? I'd have thought the other 9 would have shown something so don't think so? She was always the wee runt and didn't run about in the box but preferred to be under the electric hen. Not giving up on her yet as likes her cuddles tho the Lhasa wants to murder her! Fingers crossed. Anyone have any other ideas as to anything I can try?

Wee one is still chirping in the box. Gave her(I'm calling it a her?) more water tonight as not sure if drinking but seems to be doing normal poops ok so must be?

Not moving about much, and if I place her on the floor stays put in the one spot?

Will see what the next few days bring as not keen to put her back with siblings incase they run her over again and trample on her. Can't quite get a handle on this little one but see how she does......

Still here luvachicken and bought child vitamins on Friday night, today am diluting marmite in warm water also and syringing that? She is alert enough but seems to have paralysis in almost both legs. Eating and pooping fine so want to give the wee mite a chance yet. Can stand briefly but then topples over to side so have her propped up between two teddies with her food in a dish in front of her. Am happy to keep trying the syringing to see if lack of vitamins is the cause......if not then at least I tried.

Fingers crossed......

Times I wonder if I just prolong the inevitable and am I being cruel trying to be kind? Still the same and have tried her on the carpet every day, stands for a second or two, but low on hocks and then just topples over onto side? Have put the internet upside down wondering what it could be and sometimes no easy answer with such a young chick (6 weeks) . Noticed by 2 weeks she preferred being under the electric hen and very slowly deteriorated from there until I found her on her back one evening.

Shame as a kind of rare breed, but compared to the others who are growing fast and can leg it faster than Usain Bolt I'm very dubious now. Will make a descision by end of the week......

The last hatch (her siblings, ancona, fayoumi) are going outside this week as temps mild and a client very kindly loaned me a coop with attached run for a few weeks :)

The little Thuringian chick passed yesterday am. Kinda guessed she wasn't long for this world due to her behaviour but gave it a shot :(

Had hoped to relocate her siblings and others from last hatch outside to new wee coop and run tonight but as luck would have it, we have sleet and hailstones and it's only 1.5 degrees so haven't the heart to put 6-7 week olds out quite yet... :roll:

I know they are fully feathered but after central heating it would be too much of a shock at their age......says me?? :?::roll:

Thank you. Was so sorry the wee one didn't make it but have sort of accepted now that those things happen and some just won't make it.

Had hoped to put the last hatch out as making one mess indoors now (never hatching in my spare room again ) as they are escaping and trashed the room! Carpet getting removed this weekend and redecorating next week!!!

Lesson learnt re a late hatch!

Oh well it was an experiment and only myself to blame....

Terrible forecast for weekend but they ARE going out to wee coop and run tomorrow night as temps are back to double figures and they are fully feathered so will be fine. Would have been tonight but was working late until 9.30pm............slave to ladies roots until the 24th! :roll::)

Put the last hatch of the year outside tonight into a nice borrowed coop with attached run. They will be a bit bemused tomorrow but will soon find their feet. Mix of Ancona, thuriangian, fayoumi and an exchequer leghorn.

One of my old speckled hens passed away tonight. Found her dead after work. I noticed the last two days she was haunched and comb a bit shrunken and floppy so knew her time was near. Still so sad when that time comes. Fed her extra crumbs at lunchtime and she ate them but still knew. :(

Found four chickens outside tonight who are normally indoors, 2 barred rocks, and a cuckoo Marran so lifted to shed. Wee lavender Araucana trapped in between netting so freed that one as well. Still about 10 in the trees when I shone the torch about!?

New ginger kitty settled in well, asleep on my hip as I type.....