redsunset

This morehens disease again

Knew one of you lot would find this in Facebook......saw it a week ago and knew who'd come to mind for first using iPad and my autocorrect!

Having a very tough time in chooksville. As some of you may remember I was going to auction last month and bought some bluebelles. Didn't quarantine and 4 days later noticed one with swollen face. Isolated immediately and PTS on the Monday morn. Too late, have lost 12 chickens, mostly younger ones I hatched myself last summer. All 3 Thuringians which was awful esp wee blondie who used to fly up to my shoulder at feeding time given the chance. Gutted is not the word. A speckled Sussex and my Vorwerk were PM'd and pathology sent away last week. Denaguard did nothing so it's a viral rather than bacterial. It has slowed down but really need to know what was brought in as looks like ILT or IB or v similar. By the time I get results it will have taken what it wants and I guess the rest will be carriers but need to know. Don't think it's a myco as some deaths were fairly rapid with no obvious signs other than sleepy etc, others had gunk in eye. Did isolate a young cuckoo maran last Friday and on Tuesday when changing her water noticed eyes totally clear and fine so recovered. My dilemma is I had hatched some chicks indoors. What to do as one lot approaching 7 weeks and can't put them out until I know. I do have seperate part of garden I can put them in, into coop plus run but is it far away enough? Hope to get answers and advice soon but no idea how long pathology will take or if I need to inform mart as yet. :(

Hello Redsunset. I'm so sorry to hear of this. You must be devastated. I cant really add anything useful but just wanted to pass on that I feel for you :cry: I hope you get the results soon of the hens pm's . Has your vets suggested anything you can do as a preventative in the meantime? I think I would be tempted to contact the seller of the hens you brought in just in case she/he admits to having disease in her flock, although I guess the likliehood of them admitting it is pretty slim. I guess it is also possible that the birds you brought in picked up the virus/bacteria whilst on the auction site, in which case the sellers wouldnt have known about it. I hope things settle soon for you with no more losses. Ax

Redsunset I'm so sorry to hear about this. How awful for you. We all know we shouldn't have favourites but we all do. So sad for you :(

Don't know about the youngsters. Hopefully as long as they were on clean ground and not in physical contact they'd be OK? Is there anyone else who could take them?

Good luck x

Thanks for the sympathy folks. It seems to have eased with some recoveries. Have a speckled Sussex and a crested legbars still not looking too toddy as we say. Won't get results of pathology until middle of next week at the earliest. It had to come from that one cage as there were three young bluebells and I split one of them to another girl in our group from the island who is also having problems and put a bird in fir PM and samples sent away on Saturday.

Once I know what it was will get in touch with the auction place. And yes seller may well deny any problems as he wouldn't have sold otherwise?

Youngsters will be kept indoors for another week (the 8 week olds) but can put them on my own garden in enclosed run that the chooks don't access. The second lot are only 1-3 week old so be in for a few weeks anyway.

I will overcome this but was so sorry for the lovely birds I lost......still miss wee 'blondie' the thuringian with her cheeky chatter :(

Will post results as it may help others

Took the crested cream legbar in tonight, know she's not got long as comb going a purple tinge and no resistance (for a flighty bird). She will pass in peace. Called vet today and swab results in but not samples. Very busy practise and lambing time. Said a vet will call me? Hope to get results by end of week. All others fine and a couple recovered just fine but still want, and need to know what it was. This girl cost £55 at auction only in November and although her sister is laying I don't think she had yet. Don't care about the money one jot, just need an answer as to what condition is the culprit. I loved the auction but has put me clean off and will only ever hatch my own is how I feel right now.

All other chooks are good and found a big nest of eggs in a New Zealand flax!!

Gosh you are having a hard time right now.

I'm sorry to read that the cream leg bar might not make it.

At least on a cheerier note you found all those lovely eggs.

Will you be able to eat them or was someone secretly trying to hatch them and they are past eating ?

Think I may well dump the eggs or scramble and feed back to chooks. No idea how long the nest was there but was mad to see some big eggs! Thought my threadbare garden was covered as in no hidey holes but the chooks get one over on me every time!

As for legbar, it's so sad. Nothing else I can do and expect her gone by am. Carried her in very sleepy so just knew it was time. No resistance. Exchequer leghorns had little gunk in eyes last week but all fine now. GL orp Young big fluffy girl is also getting back to normal. Hate when any are off but they are turning the corner and the little cuckoo maran is totally fine now, despite looking terrible 2 weeks ago.

Baby chooks dying to get out but will just have to wait. Then my bit of garden for them. Have long weekend off so can haul coop with attached little run in to jet and disinfect.....then maybe........

Think I am turning the corner now as all remaining chooks appear well and healthy? Or few that were looking a bit peeky now clearing up and ok? Crested legbar still holding on and left light on in store room to see if it encourages her to eat and drink. In a large crate and so far so good........

Swab results are in (but was told vet will call me re results) no pathology yet. Hopefully by Friday. Know the vets are all busy with lambing time not to mention a rush on dog chipping! Booking the pooches into vet for that too so expect a second mortgage will be req when I get the final bill..... :shock:

All the wee chicks I had hatched prior are doing well (mix of lav leghorn and few cuckoo Marans)

Crested girl didn't make it. Passed away this weekend. :( Her sister looks so so and my big lemon Brahma girl is off colour today. The gold laced orp is fighting hard and seems to be turning the corner (I hope).

Had a day off today and beautiful sunshine. Chased two Broodies outside as don't want any chicks!

Taking two baby chicks to vet hopefully tomoz and they will be put to sleep sadly. Problems with hock joints, from 2 different hatches. Splints did not work in their case so have to do the right thing by them.

Bought a very large indoor bunny hutch last weekend and with the Brinsea electric hen they seem very happy in that as lots of space.

Hope to find the head vet tomorrow if he's in to try and get some results as they must be in by now surely? Lambing time is still in full swing so will see.

They got large wok of scrambled eggs at tea time with poultry spice added so plenty protein tonight...

Thanks cat tails. My posts are usually full of daft antics and this one has floored me,but when you have a lot of chooks it's bound to happen sooner or later in my case!

Hopefully health and harmony will be restored soon and I can go back to my usual eccentric self with my silly tales. And I got more new wellies (just proof read that last bit, for those who caught me out umpteen posts ago with autocorrect :oops: )1 pair has chickens and the other roses!