Chicken deficient

not nice, sorry - oven cleaning

It is his job to clean the oven. Given the amount of smoke that poured out of it when I turned it to maximum, for bread baking purposes, I think it is safe to say that he has not been cleaning it! :vom:

It's a task I absolutely loathe - scrubbing just gets what ever you're scrubbing with clogged up with yuck, and I have a major aversion to the vile chemical oven cleaner stuff, though we do have some in the cupboard.

Any suggestions as to how to make the oven all shiny and lovely without too much nastiness?

get someone in to do it :D that's what my Mother does.

For those of us mere mortals there isn't much that beats the chemical stuff, although I get why you hate the smell. Steam cleaners are pretty good, a friend of mine swears by hers for the hob and oven. I haven't got round to trying mine out on the oven yet.

Get a man in (or woman, but they're usually men in my experience). It's money well spent, believe me - if you can't face that then a steam cleaner will do the job but it takes ages. I'm not keen on the chemical cleaners, my oven has a self-clean programme that burns most of the gunk off and that's effective but I don't like to think of how much electricity it uses!

I agree with the others.Get someone in or use a steamer

You can also buy the chemicals where you put all the bits in a big bag. My friend says they are very good but it does involve chemicals and I've never tried personally.

Alternatively place your silver bits in the dishwasher on high and the bits then scrub off relatively easily.

I'll give him a welly up the backside and see if he'll clean it. Maybe I'll wait until he has got over his shingles first!

Failing that, getting someone in is a great idea, though I have just found a couple of recipes on the net - baking soda for the oven and washing powder soaks for the racks. I'll let you know if either work!

Still a chemical cleaner, but the Oven Mate that Lakeland sell, with an applicator brush is very easy to use, has little smell and works quickly. I have to say though the best way to keep the oven gunk under control is to wipe it out after cooking anything greasy with an old oven glove whilst the oven is still pretty warm.

Still a chemical cleaner, but the Oven Mate that Lakeland sell, with an applicator brush is very easy to use, has little smell and works quickly.

This is the one I use too and it is the best I have found. I have a liner in the bottom of the oven that I take out from time to time to wash and that cuts down the cleaning a lot.

Buy a new one. :twisted:

I never thought of that Chickencam. I try to remember to clean the oven after using but by the time it's cooled down I forget. That is a good idea.

Quiet day today, now I think I must clean the oven. :o

I bought a few of those eco sponges when then were half price, they're good for scrubbing off stubborn deposits without being too harsh or needing too much detergents/cleaners.

I use the Oven Mate stuff and the dishwasher.....put the shelves in the bags with the stuff following the instructions then bung the shelves in the dishwasher and they come up pretty shiny. There's nothing to make the getting the goo out of the bottom of the oven any easier though.....Oven Mate and elbow grease. My oven needs doing but I'm waiting for the warmer weather as I have to have the windows open when I do it (its one of those jobs that makes me a bit wheezy so I have to have plenty of fresh air)

Buy a new one. :twisted:

I had considered it! I think it must have been a seriously cheap oven to start with. When we moved in, I wiped the front with a microfibre cloth. Lo and behold - all the numbers had gone. It has been guess work ever since, only we still haven't worked out how to make it grill.

We planned to replace it, but I'm quite attached to it now, in a weird way, like it was a one legged duck or something.

I'm off to soak the racks in laundry powder in the bath...

Well, I haven't made a trip to Lakeland yet, but in the meantime I have soaked the racks and the bottom of the oven in biological washing powder. It has definitely helped in making sticky stuff easier to wipe off and hard stuff flakier, but not a good enough result over all, I would say.

So, the bottom of the oven is now covered in bicarbonate of soda with a bit of water sprayed on top, to make it icing consistency. Initial inspections look quite promising, but I have to leave it overnight apparently...

I asked 'him' when he did actually last clean the oven, as per his task list, (1. take bin out 2. occasionally clean oven). He is estimating 2008!!!!! :evil: He says he gave up on it when we first discussed replacing it.

No wonder the thing set the smoke alarm off! I didn't realise how bad it was as the light doesn't work either. (Maybe we really should get a new one :whistle: ).

The baking soda definitely made a big difference, there is now quite a lot of smooth shinyness in there and it seems to get better each time I put some on. I've been spraying it in diluted, before the oven is used and then wiping it out afterwards.

Have to say that I am with the others who get someone in. Worth every penny - honestly.

The Ovenmate is the next best thing. I did get the soaking trays from Lakeland but, since getting a chap in to clean the oven, I have used those for soaking the nesting bars of the eglu!

Since reading this thread I've cleaned my cooker every day - not all of it just a different bit each day. Nice and gleamy, ungreasy cooker now and no work at all if I stick to doing a bit each day. I've even cleaned the fiddly bit in the seal. So, thanks for the thread and the ovenglove tip is inspired. 8)

I asked 'him' when he did actually last clean the oven, as per his task list, (1. take bin out 2. occasionally clean oven). He is estimating 2008!!!!! :evil: He says he gave up on it when we first discussed replacing it.

No wonder the thing set the smoke alarm off! I didn't realise how bad it was as the light doesn't work either. (Maybe we really should get a new one :whistle: ).

The baking soda definitely made a big difference, there is now quite a lot of smooth shinyness in there and it seems to get better each time I put some on. I've been spraying it in diluted, before the oven is used and then wiping it out afterwards.

Now, if your light is like mine was the glass cover over the bulb be will covered in all sorts of baked on dirt and will work perfectly well once this has gone :oops:

This thread has reminded me that my oven needs a good scrub out. Okay... so, I already knew it needed doing but I have been putting it off :oops: I think I will invest in one of those Lakeland soaking trays as my shelves are horribly filthy too. Oven Mate is great stuff and does get the oven squeaky clean, but it's still a horrid job!