Hellcat

Lavendar - advice please!

Hello all you out there. Long time no appearance, I know but you know how it goes.

Anyway, I'm planning to do home made hampers of goodies for the family this year as I am sick of the cost of Christmas. I have a hedge of Lavender which is covered with flowers and want to dry some. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this>

I thought of cutting the stems and tying them up in the airing cupboard but I'm worried about the lavendar losing its scent...

Help please!

Which is the best lavender to grow please? I have tried several in the back garden which just seem to die off :roll: , and I have a small area next to the path in the front garden that I would like to remove the gravel from and plant some lavender in, but that would need to be a dwarf variety.

The lavender shortbread sounds lovely, I would like to try and use it in a culinary way :D I think you can buy culinary quality lavender from Norfolk Lavender if you don't want to grow it.

I really love Lavender, it is probably my favourite shrub.

I have a beautiful pink one in the garden, & 2 pots of that nice French lavender with the bunny ears on each side of my frount door.

We are lucky enough to have a good Herb Farm just down the way from us, which sells heaps of different types. Its always an expensive time when I visit there!

Perhaps we should start exchanging cuttings - we could grow them on a little and then post them. I have a few lavenders, a lilac french one, an old fashioned English one (which I have just cut loads of flowers off of ready to try this lavender shortbread). A madrid blue - which has blue flowers but white bunny ears and I've just bought kew red (at least I hope it is - not in flower). One of my plans for next year was to grow on lots of plants in the greenhouse and have a plant stand at the gate. I would be happy to start a few now for exchange though - good way of getting cheap plants!

BTW the I told Mum today that I was going to make lavender shortbread and she said "oh have you been listening to the radio too?" She's heard about it twice on the radio this week.

This thread has been very useful to me :D

i have a large lavender bush outside my front door-I keep banging the buggy into it. I have always cut my lavender after it has flowered, so I have been doing it wrong :oops: Yesterday was lovely & sunny so I spent a happy hour cutting my lavender, then stripping off the leaves & little lavender offshoots to make lovely long-stemmed flower heads which I have stood in a glass vase on my kitchen window ledge to dry out. The shorter off-shoots have gone into a small vase on my hearth, & the teeny lavender side flowers are in a washing tablet mesh bag hung on the bed head board over hubby's head to help him to sleep :D

not a s"Ooops, word censored!" of it was wasted- the snappped stems went into the composter.