Gertie

Do you have insects in your house? What to do!

So, yesterday I got home from work. Decided to have a shower. When I got out I noticed ants crawling up my legs. Argh, an ants nest in the bathroom. On the first floor! :shock: How does that happen? I spent some time trying to usher them back into the area they seemed to be emerging from, until they had all gone. No sign of them this morning. Stupidly forgot to check before going to the loo a bit later and they are back. Including the big ones. Now I don't mind ants, but this is ridiculous.

Downstairs I have a serious woodlice population and quite a few millipedes. I have bees and birds in my roof. (Bees are bumble variety so I've been told they will go of their own accord). There were also mice above the kitchen ceiling (until the cats ate them).

Admittedly I do live in an old stone cottage surrounded by greenery, trees etc. Is this the same as others experience to have this many insects in an old house?

Does anyone know what I can do about the ants and woodlice without using chemicals or killing them? I would like to have the insects in the garden instead!

Any help appreciated!

I feel like they are taking over at the moment!

We have had a recurring problem with ants coming into the kitchen, but they are right in the middle of the house, not by a window or door.

Last year we stripped the room out & re plastered, so that they couldn't get in, but even so we seem to have a few :roll:

A few years ago we came back from holiday to find the entire kitchen (& its a big room) filled with those awful flying ants *shudder*

These days I dot a few of those bait stations around & about, & they seem to knock the problem on the head quite effectively.

Until the following year that is, when they start to troop out again :roll:

We have flies I think due to the hens and silver fish which I worry about cos of damp oh and woodlice occasionally. Then theres the big spiders with humongous legs and tiny bodies. Over the yrs I have become braver - sorry to say I either kill or scoop up in kitchen roll. I was stung on the tummy a week ago by what I thought was a beetle thing - it was black but when I turned it over it was a small bee. I have had wasp sting but bee stings I can only liken to shingles pain. The area throbbed for a week and I dont have a flat tummy sadly so I was surprised how uncomfortable it was. I feel your pain - I prefer them outside

For controlling slugs in the garden I use Nemasys nematodes because I don't feel so evil. The company have an nematode ant killer which attacks the larvae. But they are activated by water and probably no good for your situation but it might be worth researching. These sentences may not make sense because I am in the garden and have had a couple of glasses of wine but you get my meaning. :angel:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I went in to the bathroom earlier & the ants were everywhere, including flying ants. A few hours later & they all disappeared but a few. I put down some salt. I will try talc as well. I have diatom if that fails.

It sounds like I'm not alone with the bugs! My chooks would love to eat them but I fear that would be even messier to deal with.

I wonder if it might be the Elder trees we have growing around our house as I know ants congregate there.

Lets see what tomorrow brings!!!

I hate crawlies too , that are not in their proper place, I rarely suffer ants, or many spiders, as now and then, I let my Lizard go walk about . But not in this heat atm as he wouldn't return to his vivarium when he cooled down. And I'd have to go find him .

Encourage frogs and hedgehogs to the garden they take care of so many other things the chickens miss.

I do put certain traps outside the back door as I always seem to have ants in the garden under the kitchen window.(Which is going next week for a nice patio area.) But I do spray red can Raid on all the thresholds and around the window frames on the outside to stop unwanteds from coming into the house that way . It lasts for 3 mths at a time.

Well, things are worse today. I was hoping they'd just go. They haven't! There were groups of the big winged ones in there today. I have got the diatom ready & after they go to bed (they seem to disappear at night), I'm going to pile that everywhere & hopefully they won't come again.

I wish I had a lizard right now Angie. It would be in lizard heaven!

Consider yourself lucky that your cats eat the mice. Mine bring them in for playtime!! And giant cockroaches if they can't catch higher life forms!

I bought some organic insect repellant called Orange Guard. It seems to work, but the sprayer broke the first time I used it so I'm going to have to decant it to another bottle!

They've gone :dance: yaay!

I didn't even have to kill any. Just blocked up all the openings using massive amounts of diatom so they couldnt come back under the skirting board. My bathroom resembles a beach in one corner.

Im very glad Leeloo that my cats dont bring in the live ones. I would have to chase them to save the mice otherwise! I will have a look for orange blocker. I wonder if that might deter the woodlice.