Ain't Nobody Here

Minor irritations

I've just written my Tripadvisor report of our holiday. I did write some positive things but was somewhat cross on other issues.

I really do think we dont do too badly on some things in the UK. My biggest bug bare and its not just Spain is food labelling for allergies. Our hotel a 4* for example didnt mention nuts,wheat eggs or gluten. I caught ES 17 rooting thro a rice dish looking for nuts. Most of the staffs English was not good and my Spanish is well bad. One evening they had Italian ice cream and the same scoop was used for all flavours something I know goes on everywhere. ES 's choc ice cream had the remains of a scoop of pistachio nut ice cream - basically it could kill him - needless to say it wasnt eaten.

The behaviour of certain Europeans leaves a lot to be desired and I have to say the friendliest people there were the other Brits, Welsh, Scots and Irish, Belgians and Dutch. I tried to help a Spanish lady who had collapsed and the daughter was very rude indeed.

On a lighter note last year in Cyprus OH asked one of restaurant staff about what was in the desserts as Greek desserts are full of nuts, (why he didnt use the Greek he know I dont know )but he came back looking somewhat hacked off as the guy looked at him oddly when he asked what was in the sweets and said " itzzz poooooding", my OH repeated "poooding" and the guy said " yeeees poooding" - we fell about laughing.

I wash OH's shirts, hang them to dry, iron them and hang them to air on a special hanger on the back of the kitchen door. It DRIVES ME MAD that they are then still there days later...is it too much to ask that HE then takes them upstairs and hangs them up in the wardrobe before the whole sad tale repeats itself? :twisted:

Other irritations this week;

people trying to get past and snapping 'scuse me. How much nIcer if they just added the word please? I now give them a sharp stare and say please myself!

ES wandering off at Warwick Castle having had the 'don't wander off' lecture on several occasions

a huge loo queue at Warwick Castle with most people waiting patiently if uncomfortably whilst others tried to push in - they were given short shrift

Oh yes DM, that sounds familiar. We have 'I'm coming' when they most definitely aren't.

Think I might by OH's minor irritation today...just spoke to him on the phone as he's away at the moment...

Me: Those shoes in the carrier bag were for recycling, weren't they?

OH: No

Me: Oh? Really? They've been in the car boot/front porch for ages..

OH: Yes I put them in the car because one of them needed a new zip but then I forgot about them and when I remembered they weren't in the car.

Me: Oh.

OH: Why do you ask?

Me: Because I've recycled them. They've gone in the charity bin at the tip. Sorry.

OH: Oh. They were my new ones.

Me: Sorry, I didn't realise. If you'd said, I would have got them done for you.

Oops :oops::lol:

I'm usually quite tolerant, but there are one or two things that irritate me. I work in a hospital with large grounds, and, at the entrances to the grounds is a sign "Cyclists dismount". I can only imagine that the cyclists see that as an observation rather than ain instruction, because I have never seen any of them dismount. Instead they tear up silently behind people on footpaths, making them jump (not forgetting that many of these people are ill or elderly). A braver person than me pointed out to one cyclist that he should have dismounted, but he claimed otherwise - and this was on a path downhill, just wide enough for one person, and he was on his brakes all the time - common sense should have told him he was wrong.

And if it's not cyclists, it's joggers! They tend to run in large groups around the grounds and mow you down. And yesterday, on my way home, I rounded a corner and nearly collided with a jogger going flat out. Of course I moved aside, and said sorry - he shouted something after me which I couldn't hear - I hope that he was telling me that it was not my fault at all :roll: .

I do cycle though, but my jogging days were over pretty much as soon as they began!!!

Thats because cyclist dismount signs are only advisory. If you want cyclists to dismount, use one of these:

nocycling.jpg

Fred, I would if I could but I can't.

I know that the sign is only an information sign to show the end of the cycle route, but I would have thought that that, along with common sense and good manners, would be enough, but sadly it's not. Never mind...

As I said I'm not anti-cycling - I would cycle to work if I didn't live so far away - but I'm more pro-pedestrian.

And a bit grumpy lately, just getting over shingles :boohoo: Don't get me started on having to wear a bra on top of a shingles rash!!! That is not a minor irritation.

Today. I am being irritated with my email account - with Yahoo.

I received an email telling me they removed an email address from my contacts list as it was no longer valid.

Am I being unreasonable to be grumpy about this? I feel like someone has come and tidied up my knicker drawer without my permission. It's not something I want to happen - however much said tidying may be useful or in need of doing.

People in supermarkets who abandon their trolleys in the middle of the aisle whilst they toddle off to find something then glare at you when they see you move it to a more sensible place, out of the way :roll: .

General 'driving' of trolleys in supermarkets; I am often tempted to ask shoppers if they would drive their cars in the same way (ie; coming to a complete and sudden stop right in front of someone, 'pulling out' without looking, pushing their trolley into the back of your legs because they havn't been watching where they are going) :twisted:

Parents who let their children ride in trolleys; excuse me but FOOD is supposed to go into trolleys not dirty feet :shameonu:

Anyone care to take a punt on where I have been this afternoon :lol:

Edited by Guest

That is very odd - never heard of that happening. Id be tempted to contact Yahoo about it just in case there's some breach of security, but use an email address from their site, not any links that might be in the email you received as it could be a phishing scam.

Not a scam , I had a techy friend check out the IP/routing etc

I've used Yahoo every day for well over a decade and I've never seen this before either.

I guess they think it's an 'innovation'

I think it's plain annoying!

EDIT: I mentioned the same thing on Facebook and a friend said she got the same email from them today. Not only did they delete the email addresses in her account, but also a bunch of emails from an old friend who had died. That's more than a minor irritation :evil:

ES talking to me when I am in another room, the kettle is boiling/kitchen fan is on/I am hovering etc and me saying 'I can't hear you' and ES SHOUTING from same distance! No, no, no....I still can't hear you...come and talk to me FACE TO FACE! :roll: OH does this too so probably genetic!

Wii fit telling me 'Alison, its been three days since out last session, come back every day for best results' :evil: Actually, Mr Snotty Wii fit, I've been on the rowing machine working my doodahs off!

Ooooooh, I just LOVE this thread; am getting loads off my chest (just in case you hadn't noticed :oops: )

ES talking to me when I am in another room, the kettle is boiling/kitchen fan is on/I am hovering etc and me saying 'I can't hear you' and ES SHOUTING from same distance! No, no, no....I still can't hear you...come and talk to me FACE TO FACE! :roll: OH does this too so probably genetic!

Madam does this too - she will be upstairs in her room, I will be downstairs and (for example) in the utility room with the washing machine and/or tumble dryer going :roll: she knows that I am a little deaf but never makes allowances for it and gets herself really worked up. I just ignore her until she comes to find me, if she doesn't come, then it can't have been that important...................