paulad

What do the chucks do in the winter

Well I used to put them to bed at 9pm - last 2 nights its been 8:30pm - do they really just keep going earlier and earlier as the winter sets in - they will get hardly any free ranging time when it gets dark really early

Do they just sleep most of the winter ??

Yep, mine get up at sunrise and go to bed at dusk. In the height of summer that can mean bed at 11pm and up just before 3am! No idea right now as I am not an early bird but they go to bed between 8.45 and 9pm and that will shorten according to the daylight.

Bonus in the summer is they hardly get time to dirty the hen houses, but winter it's a weekly chore of mucking out as they spend so much time in there with the shortened days so lovely job in the rain and wind!!

They go off to bed at whatever time it gets dark, so in late December, that's about 4pm here. They can't see much in the dark, and instinct just tells them to roost somewhere safe. I don't think they actually sleep for many more hours though. They seem to just snuggle up and chill out - it's all very much like the characters in 'chicken run' doing knitting and stuff like that!!

Lmao now i wud like to see them knitting :lol:

Yeah i guessed as much, glad we are making our run bigger as they wont get much free ranging time in the winter months then...

Mmm really looking forward to that mucking out job in the cold and rain, NOT !

It's a good idea to start thinking about winter now, especially if you are out all day at work. Make sure they

have access to a dry area - preferably with a dustbathing area under it. This does not need to be very high. Also, the run does get muddy so some sort of suspension for green treats as they will not be FRing so much. Check you have got a non-slippy path so you don't slip over (in fresh work clothes, of course).

A head torch leaves your hand free and I have just installed a little battery operated light from IKEA in the Eglu.

Biggest headache for me is keeping the glug ice-free but when it is snowy for a long spell I move the Eglu into the greenhouse which is nicer for them and much easier for me! (Mind you, I never manage to think ahead so end up doing this in the dark and snow blizzard!).

The change in seasons just brings more opportunities to waste time enjoyably on chicken things .......

how funny! I've just moved my girls up from the bottom of the garden and resited them on the patio near the back door to make life easier for all of us in the winter. I will miss them when they're tucked in all the time I'm home... how do I fish any eggs out when they're sleeping in the nest box?!?

Yes, our girls go to be at about 4pm in the winter. My OH works night so luckily they still get let out at about 1pm for a few hours free-rangin. If you cant collect the eggs that day, you'll pick them up in the morning. It's highly unlikely the hens will go broody in the winter as it's too cold. We just collect the eggs from the previous day... the following morning.

I would also invest in some good wellies! And a waterproof... as there always seems to be a sudden downpour when I'm trying to get ready for work and I only have 10 mins to feed the girls and get out the door!

x

I'm afraid winter chook keeping can suck :lol: Last winter, a wet summer followed by wet winter saw hubby and I digging barrow loads of stinky, liquid mud out of the chicken run every few weeks :vom: "Ooops, word censored!"ody tells you this stuff before you get chooks! This summer we've built a covered WIR in the hope of keeping the ground fairly dry over winter.

Yes, the chooks really do go to bed at 4pm and get up at 8am when the days get really short. As someone else said - this makes for an awful lot of poo in the coop overnight!

I'd honestly say prepare yourself early with the kit you need (e.g. Do you want to cover the run with a waterproof tarp? Do you need new waterproofs and wellies? Do you need a torch to get down the garden in the dark?) so you make life easy for yourself when the short days and rubbish weather hits.

Didn't think this through when I expanded my flock this summer and now have three houses! That's a lot of cleaning in Hebridean winter. Ok, last winter was very mild with my first 6 chooks who became 4 after a dog attack. Now have 27 so that is a LOT of cleaning and we had no snow last winter.......if we have snow this winter it will be fun. Have 5 outside lights to install and a good torch! This will be interesting to say the least. Wellies on the list. Really have to think about this one now...! :think:

I find you never know what the winter will bring so being well prepared is a good idea, mind you even then you can't always get it right.

When we had all the snow a few winters ago it came so early that I hadn't moved my girls from the bottom of our field up to the lawn, which I normally do about Christmas time. We spent a lovely :roll: six weeks tramping right across the snow several times every day to clear snow from the houses and the electric fence, and defrost the water, I was sooooo grateful that they were off to bed really early.

Then in the January storm of 2012 they were in the orchard and a huge poplar tree came down and squashed their Solway house and run :shock: - luckily there were no casualties apart from the house, but it just goes to show you just never know :anxious: .

I worry about them in stormy weather.

We had a storm last year with gusts of about 80 mph, I couldn't sleep as I was worrying about the girls... by morning then hens were tucked up safe and secure. We, however had a wacking great hole in our roof!

We should have shacked up with the girls that night, would have been warmer... and a lot drier!

Yes chicken keeping in the winter can be a little thankless :(

All the above and think about how to keep their water drinker and eglu access from freezing!! I used snuggle safes to keep the drinker from freezing :D it just about lasts the day while I'm at work and........sad but true invested in a weather jacket for the cube :oops: hoping to stop it from freezing tight shut....even the poo trays :shock:

Oh dear this will be my 3rd winter....not looking forwards to it :roll:

Intergrations going slowly with combining the 2 groups of girls....especially after earlier this year :( But totally want to not be doing 2 coops and runs!!!! :doh:

There are some pluses to chicken keeping in the winter:

- seeing them rush out to get to their warm porridge first thing in the morning

- no flies (in summer time I find though there is less poo in the hen house, I feel I have to be up early to poo pick before the flies find it :think: )

- making snow chickens

- more time on the Omlet forum when your chickens are in bed, planning next year's babies (that means me planning next year's babies, but perhaps they do too :lol: )

- next door not thinking I'm crazy in my fetching combo of long nightie, medium dressing gown, short coat and wellies :roll:

I was beginning to dispair, but you have made some vety good points, one of them the reduced fly population:) hate them! But I am going to treat my girls to an insulated cube jacket:)

What is happening to me? I have turned from fashionista...my Christmas list used to comprise of a nice designer bag, now I am lusting after electric fencing and an egg ramp:)))

My chooks are now putting themselves to bed at half6ish & I'm letting them out at twenty past seven. It's rained here everyday for a week!! We have tarpaulin over half of the run but it's leaking so a big job for next week is to replace it. I'm possibly going to buy a run extension... The cube & run sit within a larger homemade run (but probably not fox proof) so I'll probably keep them on the rain/fox proof omlet run over winter.

I feel so sorry for them out in the mud!!

Lavender Blues advice is spot on. The wet weather is worse than the really cold weather. Snow is manageable too - although I find myself doing room service when they refuse to come out! The first year, I bought hot water pet heaters and worried about them. These days, I leave the cube door open all weathers. But the mud.... I'm just off to buy new wellies!

Got my new wellies as a birthday pressie. They're navy with white bunnies on. :D and I've organised my brother to come adjust roofings and secure fencing next week. Just planning a new WIR by the garage, realised it would be perfect to put a breeding pen in (it would be darker in he mornings for doodle doing) fix the problem of a new door and window to replace the rotten ones at the same time. Need to find a builder for the cementy things.

I am a fan of Omlet products but the cube jacket and the chicken luminous jacket are steps too far I think. Believe me, the cubes are fine as they are. We live in the coldest part of England and regularly get -12 in the winter. The cube door stays open unless there is an icy wind blowing in their direction.