Christian

Kindle book recommendations please

Hello all! Not been around much of late due to personal circumstances, but was wondering if anyone could recommend any decent kindle books for me?

I love the Agatha Raisin series, twelve days of Christmas by Trisha Ashely, Hamish Macbeth etc and am looking for something 'country' and light hearted again.

Any top tips? THanks!

Not too lighthearted, but very interesting & a darn good read is 'The House We Grew Up In' by Lisa Jewell.

It is about a hugely disfunctional family trying to grow up in a house with a hoarder mother.

For something country,funny (albeit black humour) & seasonal, then 'A Proper Family Christmas' by Jane Gordon-Cumming is excellent.

For something a bit more unusual & London based, but still heaps of fun,I liked the PC Peter grant series by Ben Aronovitch. The first one is called 'Rivers of London'

They are like a cross between Harry Potter & CSI - fab stuff!

Rebecca Tope books are nice - not quite as light hearted as Agatha Raisin, but they are Cotswolds based as Agatha tends to be and they're not at all hard going ... not crucial to read them in order, but there is a back story to them, so it's best to start at the beginning, if you can.

Marian Keyes books are good, they do have darker elements, but the humour and insight into Irish customs and family life is good. I also agree with Cinnamon about Lisa Jewell books, again there is usually a deeper back story, but they have happy endings and are a good read.

I also loved the Adriana Trigiani books set in the Blue Ridge Mountains Big Stone Gap was the first.

OH has read and enjoyed most of the Katie Fforde books too, and my parents have been reading all of Deborah Mogach's books recently.

Hope all is better with you soon, we miss your cheerful input.

I also loved the Adriana Trigiani books set in the Blue Ridge Mountains Big Stone Gap was the first.
thanks, I read those a while ago and loved them!

Have you read The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared?

I'm struggling with that one at the moment, just can't get into it?

Agatha Raisin books are best read in order. Agatha Raisin and the quiche of death is the first...

Will have an Amazon splurge next week and look up all your recommendations, thank you! :D:D

I'm a cheapskate, I only buy the cut-price books or the (free) classics! A couple I've enjoyed recently - Pear Shaped by Stella Newman, it's all about baking and not a bad read as well. She's written another one 'Leftovers' but if you read the two one after another as I did, they are quite similar.

You can't beat Jill Mansell for a lighthearted but well-written story too. And if you like a mystery, The Detective's Daughter by Lesley Thomson was good.

Christian, I have just remembered a book I read a little while ago, which may be right up your street.

It is called 'Heartbreak Hotel & is by Deborah Moggach - she also wrote 'the best Exotic marigold Hotel'.

Anyhow, it is a super read, very gentle, warm & sweet with some laugh out loud moments too, plus it is only £2.84 at the moment, & a short follow up to it, set at Christmas, is free at the moment too :D

Christian, have you signed up for the 1p deals?

I didn't think there were any I was interested in until one day I clicked on one which might be suitable.....then it gave me a long list of 'if you like this you might like these'...........I bought 20 books for about £3.

I didn't think there were any I was interested in until one day I clicked on one which might be suitable.....then it gave me a long list of 'if you like this you might like these'...........I bought 20 books for about £3.

Ooooooh, didn't know about those, can't find them on Amazon - are they like kindle daily deal?

A young relative of ours has just published her first Kindle book. It's only £1.88 on Amazon just now and I'm sure she'd be very grateful for some publicity for it. It seems to be a short Christmas story for kiddies so if you like the look of it, please consider downloading it :) . A review afterwards would be much appreciated too!

*click*

Hope it's good :anxious::lol: .

Ooooooh, didn't know about those, can't find them on Amazon - are they like kindle daily deal?

I think it must have been part of the Daily Deals thing......some books are 1p and others aren't much more....but don't ask me how I found it :lol:

Greetings! I highly recommend the mystery series by Louise Penny that starts with the first book in the series "Still Life". These are the Inspector Gamache mysteries that take place in a lovely little village in Quebec. They are quite lovely.

An enjoyable quick read are the 3 books in the series by Emma Jameson with the subtitle of "Lord and Lady Hetheridge". I think the order is "Ice Blue", "Blue Murder", and "Something Blue".

There also is a very enjoyable mystery series that takes place in the wine country of Napa, California. They are by Nadia Gordon and are the "Sonny McCoskey" series.

Enjoy!

I don't know if this is your sort of thing but...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Flag-Jake-Morris-ebook/dp/B00CXA0PNW/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1387404961&sr=1-2&keywords=black+flag

The only reason I mention it is that until 1-1-2014 all proceeds go to Surf Acton, a Cornish charity which helps service men with PTSD and the author keeps tweeting "I'll be embarrassed if I have to hand over a cheque for & £55.81"

I've bought it myself, but I haven't read it yet (still reading the third "Dragon Tatoo" book) so can't recommend it per se. To be honest, it's not really my genre (I read sf or crime novels) but if anybody reads squaddie type novels it might be worth a punt.

The most expensive e book I have bought but still only £2.99 :-)

PJ