Electricbarbarella

mud, the rspca and my neighbour

Poor Barbarella she has my sympathy.

If funds allow then I think a snotty letter from solicitor warning of further action and claim for damages should the horrid neighbour stray from the access path or invade your privacy again.

The electric fence idea is amazing! :lol::lol::lol:

I think everyone has muddy runs at the moment! As you say mine is also covered but the driving wind and rain has made it bad. Chooks are fine though and love a dig in the mud. It seems to have attracted lots of worms which they love!! :vom:

She must be crazy! :wall::liar:

I have also lost faith in the RSPCA - having called them on several occasions and they have done nothing. One occasion there was a group of horses which were close to starvation and one foal was looking very bad. Called them and they said they were 'aware' of the situation. We provided some hay but several days later nothing had happened so I called World Horse Welfare who removed the horses and said when the vet took a look at the mother of the foal she was hours away from collapsing. I doubt they will even make an appearance so don't worry.

thanks for the moral support, and a few :D . Had another argument yesterday where she collared me in the garden to tell me that she wasnt suggesting I dont look after them and didnt want to argue with me. I stoof up for myself and told her she is telling me I dont look after them. She said I should just let her deal with them (she obviously has some amazing mud cure which she really should let us all know), I told her I dont want her to deal with them they are my chooks and it is my garden and I dont want her in it. She then started ranting so I told her to go ahead and call the RSPCA whcih she has said she is going to. I am now trying to work out if I can move the run and put up some kind of bamboo screen so she cant see in, the problem is I like where they are as I can see them from my window when I am working. She has had a bee in her bonnet since we got them 5 years ago. Also since I went back to work, she doesnt think you can work and look after chickens what with it being a full time job. Also they are run bound at the moment as I have personally seen a few foxes around.

I forgot to mention in my first post that the run is on slabs down each side so only about 2cm of mud on top of the slabs and mud down the middle, it looks quite dry under the house.

They do need some woodchip down but if I put it down right now it will be a mass of mud within a couple of days.

She keeps going on about how she has been reading that they are not supposed to live in mud, I dont think she realises this means they shouldnt be in it all the time, they have a lovely dry house which they are shut in every night.

When the RSPCA come they will come in my house and discuss this without her being a party to it wont they?

I have left them on just mud and slabs for a while as it seems to work better than everything else we have tried until about a month ago.

IF the RSPCA come (and I think you mentioned that she's reported, or threatened to report you before but they haven't been?) they definitely won't discuss it with her, although I expect if they visited your garden she'd be out there!

Your run set up sounds like mine. It's very muddy, but my hens really don't seem bothered and they are healthy and laying every day - the mud bothers me more than them. I'd ask her point blank what she suggests you do about the mud. Believe me, I'd love to know the answer.

I really think that her behaviour is amounting to harassment. It's never easy dealing with neighbours but it sounds as if you've lost any chance of a good relationship with her already due to her behaviour. I think you should tell her that it's unacceptable and tell her you'll be taking legal advice.

I agree. Also, She has no right of entry to your home, (or your garden, apart from the path for access to her property for removal of bins etc) and the RSPCA officer will not have the right to insist that she enters either your house or areas other than the path in your garden.

I have had a harassing neighbour situation in the past (not chicken related) and she eventually received a first part code of conduct warning under the harrasment act, so I know how you feel.( She was a nutter and has since moved. Alleluia!)

I would remain calm when you speak to your neighbour, but firmly insist that she keeps out of your garden, other than for access, and I would let definitely let her know that you will be informing the police and/or seeking legal advice if this unwarranted harrasment continues.

Sounds as if she has far too much time on her hands!

Sterling advice above. I'd keep a log of her 'interferings' so that you have something concrete to show to any authority if needs be. Also remind her that she is trespassing if she deviates from the shared access path, are you able to erect a temporary fence (a bit like the Omlet chicken fencing) along the access path?

She sounds like a floolish and probably very lonely lady.

I know you meant a bamboo fence / screen, but have you thought of putting bamboo plants along the access path? If you plant them in the ground in their pots they won't spread. I know they can be expensive but you can split one plant into at least 3 and make a sort of hedge. This would keep her to her access path only, would protect the chooks from any wind and the plants might also suck up some of the water helping with the mud situation (such as it is, which sounds not bad at all). Chickens also love the leaves and when you are home and can let them out to free range they'd strip back the bases so letting light through. Just a thought :think:

I'd also suggest to her (amicably as if nothing is really going on) that she might like to get her own chickens, then you could both have your own sets of chickens.

She could have dementia - they do get bees in their bonnets about the daftest things. My dad is up in arms re the floods and hes no where near one. :lol: I have it every time he calls. I think i would block off her path to your girls. I supect they are locked in - hope so. How does she think working mums survive? I think keeping a diary is a brilliant idea.

You should speak to your house insurance company. If she has a right of access across the back of your garden and she is straying from that then I think legally you can sue her for trespass. Usually your insurance company will provide you with free legal advice on this matter and, depending on how good they, are pursue it for you. A strongly worded letter threatening a trespass suit might be enough to keep her from hanging about/inspecting/meddling without actually having to sue her.

We have a small holding and all our animals are in mud! They all have free access to get out of the mud and wet at all times, but we can't stop the ground from getting muddy! To be honest as long as animals have water, shelter, food and aren't in need of urgent veterinary inspection the RSPCA won't be at all interested.

Mud was a nightmare for me last year, so like everyone we understand how difficult it is normally to keep the ground dry - but the latest weather we're having is only making it worse. It's a shame your neighbour can't be more sympathetic, she sounds like she has nothing better to do :evil:

Not sure if this is relevant for your situation, but because the mud was so bad in my garden the ground my chooks are on (now in the WIR) is covered by weed fabric and turf protector (a method I saw last year, see the link below) to stop the mud getting out of hand. They've scratched some of it now and are getting a bit dirty but it's been a lifesaver for me personally.

http://www.newlandgrange.com/index.php/2014-01-31-22-04-44/chicken-run-mud-management

Hope everything gets sorted for you and the horrible stress from your neighbour is resolved!!

x

I know exactly what you mean about the access across. When we were younger we viewed a house with a lovely long garden (in Staines - thank goodness we didn't buy it!) and it wasn't until a neighbour walked across the path to put out her dustbin we wouldn't have known. It was almost as if the owner didn't really want us to find out about that bit so early on. Shudder at the thought of horrible neighbours taking advantage as your one does.

Now we all know how much is placed on disease and spreading it. Make her walk through a disinfectant bath because you are concerned that you don't know where she's been. If she fails to comply then complain about her. Perhaps a make-shift fence with a gate for her access via path only - with the foot bath right in the way both sides of the path. She cannot complain then and hey ho use the front door - she doesn't have to go across your garden all the time. Really don't think you should have stress for wandering nosey biddies. Get a new chicken, call her this woman's name and then that will irritate her if she hears you calling that same name. But most of all like the other peeps say - seek advice - CAB is a good start for free advice and will point you in the direction of what steps to take. I think trespass can only be an issue where damage has been done to the property.

Its a bit late in the day for me to reply on this but I highly recommend straw (the proper baled type not the chopped type) for getting chooks out of the mud. Its not great from the point of view that it can get soggy and needs to be raked out and replaced but in a mud emergency there is little else that does the trick as well as straw

Apparently the RSPCA have no statutory powers, ie right of entry to your property. There is a public perception that they do have these powers, which they don't discourage. Click.

That's right, they can request entry, but if it's denied and they have cause for concern (which isn't the case in your instance) then they can call on the police for back-up, and they will gain entry.