Bramble

Does Champagne go "off"?

I have a bottle of Lanson Champagne, about 5 or 6 years old and just wondered if it would still be ok to drink? If it was just me who would be drinking it, I'd obviously open it and find out (!) but I'd like to use it for a "party" next week and obviously don't want to risk it if it'll be "off"?

Thanks everyone!!!

I'd still give it a whirl, I couldn't bear not to :lol:

Its highly unlikely to go off, although it is possible (but still not very likely) that the air might have got to it and spoilt it - you'll soon know when you sample it! But it is quite possible that the taste might have changed a bit, which could be for better or worse....or it might be exactly the same, its impossible to say.

Just to clarify!!!! ....

The reason I have a rather aged bottle of Champagne ... I was given it some years ago (by the builders of my house when I moved in :shock: ) I don't drink (only 'cos I don't like the taste, wish I could say it was a moral thing or I just have amazing willpower - I definitely don't!!!) and a suitable "occasion" hasn't occurred to offer it to friends etc, so it's just languished at the back of a cupboard - but my Mum turns 80 on Friday - what better reason could there be for champagne!!!!!????

I would google what is on the label (year, name and any other details). I am sure some wine merchant website will have details. I did this for a wine my hubby was given by a customer years who - turned out to be a £65 bottle of Margot or something like that. We had it for New Year's Eve and it was the best wine I have ever had :D

Just thought I'd update to let you all know that we opened the champagne on Saturday and it was absolutely fine :D there wasn't much of a "pop" when it was opened, but I reckon that varies from bottle to bottle anyway, regardless of age/price etc ...