tania

Vermin proof feeder

We have unwanted guests, pretty sure a rat or two...yuk. I cannot always bring in the feeders at night so need to buy a vermin proof feeder for when the feeder has to be left out. Does anyone have a good recommendation of which to go for?

Many thanks

You can buy treadle feeders which then chickens learn to activate themselves by standing on a plate which opens up the feeder. There is one called a grandpas feeder which I have heard mentioned on here a few times. I think they can be a bit pricey but sound like a good idea for situations such as yours. Have a look on the interweb.

We have two Grandpas feeders still in their boxes as yet unused. They are a good idea but come with a few issues. First is getting the balance right for your weight of chicken, so if your flock has very different body weights it will be difficult. Set for lightweights a heavy bird will bring it up too quickly and set for heavyweights a light bird won't open it. They are quite large so need a lot of floor space. I had a worry with cold icy weather in that I wondered if a chickens feet would stick to the footplate. Rats can force them open and get trapped inside and I've heard that on several occasions. I set ours up with a rubber mat on the footplate with lead weight underneath for balance. Then the next problem was training them to use it. Start with it wedged fully open. After a week adjust so it is half open and their weight opens it fully. A week later let it operate normally. In this time rodents can get into it. It also needs to be under cover or the feed will get wet.

They are a good idea, but more for larger flocks in big enclosures.

That's very interesting Beantree; I don't have any experience with treadle feeders myself but they obviously have their pros and cons.

I'm not sure what your set up is Tania, but when I had a rat problem, the only thing that seemed to help was putting the run on slabs. The rats could simply not get in any more. I also have a rat/mouse bait box tucked away in the garden now which I top up every now and again (something comes and takes the bait). Slabs have their drawbacks too as there is limited drainage and they need s"Ooops, word censored!"ing every now and again as the poop and dropped food does seem to stick to it :roll: which is quite hard work.

Hope you find a solution.

We get rats every winter without fail. The one set of neighbours seem to think it's entirely our problem because we have chickens, however I saw rats in the garden before we had chickens, so it's a long standing problem. I have no idea why we don't see them in the summer - they must be around somewhere! - but they only seem to cause a problem in winter. Less food about maybe?

Anyway, we have a Grandpa's Feeder (flock of 6 chooks). I don't find them at all complicated :? But then my chooks are all large fowl so maybe that's the difference. The chooks learned to use it very quickly, and new chooks pick up how to use it from the existing girls. No rats can get in - I'm not sure how a rat would be able to open it?? And certainly none of my chooks have ever got frozen onto it in winter :shock::lol:

I also keep secure bait boxes out all year round and ensure they are kept topped up.

http://www.regencypoultry.com/feeders/metalfeeders/5kg_treadle_feeder.htm

This is the one I have - it sits on a slab of kitchen worktop in the eglu run - which is covered so that the food remains dry - the back of it had to have a piece of metal put on it as the chickens knock the food underneath it and the rats could get at that from the back of the feeder - Once that was sorted its easy and no rats can get into it at all

Sorry not good at the linky thing!! Sorted!

Edited by Guest

I have the treadle feeder listed above. I have never encountered problems with the hens feet sticking to it in cold weather. The food stays dry in it and the hens learned to use it in a couple of days. However, it is way to big for an Eglu run. I have it in the WIR.

The regency feeders are certainly not vermin proof. Have a read of my previous post of rats and more rats. The rats can actually push their way into the feeders by just pushing the flap but then they can't get out until a chicken or large rat activates the treadle. This was the reply I got from Regency when I complained about catching 7 rats in my feeders.

"The treadles are advertised as ‘helping to keep’ vermin at bay, unfortunately it has been known that a few large rats stepping onto the treadle will operate it as it only takes 300g for this to happen. If you have a rat infestation then you will need to cure this, once completed you shouldn’t have the problems you are experiencing as the treadles are good for keeping the food contained"

I think the Grandpa's feeders are probably better for keeping rats out. Good luck. I feel your pain :wall:

I have the treadle feeder listed above. I have never encountered problems with the hens feet sticking to it in cold weather. The food stays dry in it and the hens learned to use it in a couple of days. However, it is way to big for an Eglu run. I have it in the WIR.

Egluntyne - Is it the regency one you have as mine is in the eglu run = you have to put it in sideways and then it stands up ok.

I have Grandpas Feeders, and I thoroughly recommend them.

Before this, in my allotment, I had an upright treadle feeder. It was OK, but the meta was sharp and our cockerel cut himself trying to get his headgear in. I also found that food tended to get a bit damp and clump, but that was probably because the feeders were outside.

I then bit the bullet and bought a small Grandpas feeder. Before I bought it, I couldn't understand why they would be so different in price. As soon as it arrived, I could see why. You certainly get what you pay for.

It took a little while for the allotment chickens to get used to it. We had birds of different sizes, and there was never a problem with them opening it.

I was so pleased with it that as soon as I could afford it, I ordered a couple more feeders (we had three allotment flocks at the time), and the other two were the large versions. These are outside in all weathers, and we've never had them leak, or had a problem with food going manky. They are much easier for the birds to eat from than the other upright sort.

Sometime later, we had a rat problem in my home walk in run, so we decided to switch to GPs at home as well. I bought a small one. some of the girls got the idea immediately, a couple took a few weeks. We had it on half open for several weeks in the end. Now they all use it very happily

I then bought *another* one, to use for the chicks that we hatch at home. This was so that when the chicks go off to the allotment at 8 weeks, they are already happy using the GP.

Obviously they don't use it when they are tiny and in the brooder. However, as soon as they start going outside, we have the Grandpas feeder, wedged open, in their run so they start to get used to it. As soon as they are old enough and heavy enough to work the treadle, we move it to the partially open position - although at this point we take the lid off, as the chicks are small enough and dopey enough to climb inside (so if someone else steps of the treadle, they get shut in). We found that the chicks take less than half a day to get used to the change from permanetly open to partially open, and probably a day to get used to the change from partially open to closed - but that's because they are brought up on them.

I've never had a rat get in them. I've never had a chook not get the hang of it (although I have had one who seemed to take a long time).

It turns out that (for me) they were a good investment - they've paid for themselves in terms of food-waste (either through food going clumpy, or getting stolen) avoidance.

The grandpas feeders look really good and that is a good recommendation for them - I thought they were very expensive at the time so bought the other one - I personally have had no rats in it or opening it but they get the stuff the hens drop around it. We had rats over 3 years ago and only have just seen some 2 weeks ago here - bait box put down in the stick shed and eaten all over 1 week - refilled and nibbling still - coming from the farm over the road I think. I must look to invest in a grandpas feeder.

Mine is a Procter rat bait station which I bought from Screwfix. I buy the pellets in a local garden store (screwfix don't sell pellets) and it seems to work quite well and I haven't seen any rats for ages :) If you have mice rather than rats, I think you can get a similar mouse version. It cost about £10. Obviously I keep it well out of reach of the chickens.

Sorry if I have hijacked the thread but I haven't seen our rat for a while but of course that doesn't mean he doesn't come during the night.

I was wondering about the bait boxes .......do any other little creatures go in it to eat the bait or just rats.

I have a lot of toads in the garden and wouldn't want anything to happen to them or any other little animals.

Also are there any baits which don't poison the birds that might eat the vermin ?

Egluntyne - Is it the regency one you have as mine is in the eglu run = you have to put it in sideways and then it stands up ok.

It is, and I have it in a Regency Poultry Protection Pen.