Daphne

lost racing pigeon UPDATE 29th

I'm sure we've had posts on these before, but bear in mind I'm in Portugal so its not that straightforward. On Sunday evening a racing pigeon arrived, it has 3 rings on but I'm only getting close enough to read the number today (and so far I've only got 50% of it). I gave it a deep bowl of water, which it drank and dunked itself in, it sat about looking a bit puffed up and tired, and closed its eyes whilst I spoke to it, but I can't get near enough to capture it. I have discovered it likes to eat unpopped corn (all I have, as no chooks here) and it came back on Monday, was nowhere to be seen yesterday, but pitched up again today at lunchtime and its just mobbed me as I came out, obviously lying in wait for a feed. He (I feel sure he's a boy, but who knows :lol: ) is desperate to come into the house, and burbles when displeased, but is very nervous, although I have just fed him from the hand so maybe tomorrow I could capture him - but what would I do with him? Does anyone have any ideas please?

Edited by Guest

We had a racing pigeon a couple of years ago we fed him up for 3 or 4 days and he then just flew on ....hopefully home...we did get the number of the ring and it said on the relevant website sometimes they get a bit lost and just need extra food....

If you do get the number of the ring it will help but he may just be having a holiday...perhaps I should pop over and check :lol:

My friend had a lost racing pigeon in her garden. She found the owner who promptly came round and wrang it's neck :( apparently he said once they've got lost they're no good anymore. I would love to hear the opposite from any pigeon fanciers out there. If I find one I'd need a lot of convincing to find the owner :?

:shock: Oh dear, I'm a bit worried now, I've grown quite fond of this bird as I have managed to coax it to eat from the hand. It is a bit dim, I feel it is extremely pampered, it could work out how to get over a bar separating it from its food yesterday (er.....fly.....) :roll:

Anyway, we have a bit of progress. After OH got home yesterday we managed to read the whole leg ring number, I got the bird up close whilst he sat a little way away and read the number through the binoculars! It had the magic words Portugal 2013 on it so then I did some googling and sent an email to the National Pigeon Racing Association, although I haven't heard back so I hope Google translate did not send them a rude message :lol:

This morning I nearly fell off my chair. Apparently there is a big pigeon race about 6 hours away from us. Guess what 1st prize is? 75,000 euro :shock::shock::shock: There are a couple of 'minor' races with first prizes of 10,000 euro or a car. There are apparently 500 clubs in the country and 5,000 pigeons or something like that. I'll keep you posted if something happens. I daren't tell the neighbours, I'm sure they'll try to eat him :roll:

When we found a lost homing pigeon, we contacted these people and they could trace the owner through the number on its leg. Someone came and picked it up.

http://www.homingpigeons.co.uk/straypigeons.htm

Ah yes, thats the link I found, and I managed to find an international contact, although they never responded, so then I googled and found another contact for the Portugeuse association and they have emailed me back asking for my exact contact details and have said that the ring comes from a place about 3-4 hours from here by car. The advice is that the owner has 15 days to claim him, but also that after 3-4 days I can withdraw food and water and he might fly back to the loft. Well, I don't know what to do. Yesterday I went out and bought him fresh supplies of maize to go with his raw lentils and last evening he was found perching on the balcony outside our bedroom window and I have realised he spends quite a bit of time on our roof gazing out for miles around (we can see for about 20 miles on a clear day) so maybe he is preparing to go.

Much as I'd like to keep him (he's followed me into the house without me realising it), its not really practical as we won't be here forever for a start. On the other hand, I have long had an interest in fancy pigeons (this one is not fancy, he looks like a common or garden city pigeon) and yesterday I asked OH if we should perhaps start a loft :lol: . I'd like his owner to get in touch and gather him up with open arms so I know he's gone back to a good home, but that may be wishful thinking.

Well a small update. He was nowhere to be seen for a whole 24 hours yesterday and I assumed he'd left. However, this morning there was virtually a knock on the door - we have a long fly curtain on the outside and when's its windy it knocks against the door....but there is no wind today :shock: I opened the door and there stood the pigeon :roll: So I fed him, and he has done a lot of burbling and for the first time I've seen time exhibit normal bird behaviour - he's very hesitantly scratching about in the garden as well as on the terrace, and he's been sunbathing and doesn't waddle off as soon as somebody moves.

I've been reading up on racing pigeons, and depending on who you believe, there is possibly a lot of culling which goes on to maintain a young, fit, loft but I don't know how true it is. If his owner turns up, I will gladly let him go, as that is where he belongs, but in the meantime I'm quite happy to have him here for a bit. I've also been reading about their extraordinary abilities - lifesaving during WW I and II, and the distance/speed they can fly (eg 700 miles apparently in a day) and the fact that they can live for 20 years and mate for life. I find it fascinating 8)

Well we have news! This morning OH was minding his own business in an armchair when he looked down to find the pigeon :shock: Then we were having a discussion and we both stopped talking when he appeared round the edge of the sofa :lol: He is determined to be inside (cool and dark and probably reminds him of his loft), but I have perservered with him outside and he is still eating and drinking and sunbathing.

Yesterday we had a letter telling us that the owner had 15 days to claim him, and after that, if we wanted, we could apply to have the ownership transferred to us :shock:

But about 15 minutes ago I took a phone call from the owner - he is going to send a courier to collect him (!), so he must be worth the trouble. I'm going to go and spend time with the boy whilst I can!

Ahh, that's good news - if he's sending a courier, then he's definitely worth saving and won't be meeting a short sharp end.

I won't ask how the courier is going to catch him! although he sounds as if he's become quite tame. This is a great story, thanks for telling us about him.

Hello found a racing pigeon in the UK with Portugal 2017 74100971 it doesn't seem to be injured but I think its tired I have put it in a box with food and water. I have tried finding the owner but failed any information would be appreciated my email is thefisherman3033@gmail.com  thank you