Daphne

So how is the season so far?

Am now on to hardening the first lot of dwarf peas off and got the runner seeds in the post today so have those soaking for a few hours ahead of planting up. Goodness know where I'll find enough pots or growing room once they all need potting on - OH is worried that he won't be able to reach the barbecue on the patio without a machete come the summer! As my mum says 'I'll cross that bridge when I go under it'😉.

As a matter of interest....does anyone else soak pea and bean seeds overnight before planting? I was advised to do this so as to soften the hard outer shell of the seed and so speed up germination. Tho' maybe an old wives tale (but in this case an old husbands tale!). 

Just now, soapdragon said:

As a matter of interest....does anyone else soak pea and bean seeds overnight before planting? I was advised to do this so as to soften the hard outer shell of the seed and so speed up germination. Tho' maybe an old wives tale (but in this case an old husbands, but not mine, tale!). 

Eeek, what has it done now? All I tried to do was edit.......off for a lie down!

• Haha 1

I drenched the drills and sowed peas (kelvendon wonder?) 2 weeks ago and they have only just peeped through the soil. Another batch I soaked overnight and they are up in 5 days....could be the heat or just coincidence? 

i usually have a pit of peas on my kitchen windows sill for pea shoots and they come up quickly but my kitchen is always warm due to the rayburn. 😀

Nearly all my squashes are up! 
Pattison blanc, Bennings Green, Uchiki kuri, sunburst, Anna Swartz and Grillers mix....I have way too many plants now....🙄

05AD2509-F5CA-4754-A9DA-1E5733DF3A54.jpeg

15  squash plants could become just that Christian, squashed. We had 3 courgettes last year, but they did so well we still have lots frozen, plus they take a lot of water, so this year we haven't any. Great thing about squashes though is they will grow well in a compost heap, even if it isn't fully rotted, so perhaps you could put them there?

Tomatoes picked out and potted which was far easier and quicker than I expected. Used a round-topped pencil and lifted the plants by the first leaves to avoid damaging the stem. All the potatoes are up, earlies are near to earthing up; 40 main crops are about 3" high. First beetroot came up overnight. It could be a good year, if we have enough water and we don't get late frosts?

• Like 1

A lot of squash - mind you, I've done a similar thing.  I do hate growing in pairs because I can't bear to discard a good seed.  Understandable if it's weak but when you have to pick one, then I have to pot it on!  This year I have a melon to try - two came up in one pot, one of the two appeared in another pot but keeled over.  My Uchiki Kuri is really slow and only just beginning to shoot up.  Onion seeds are pretty abysmal, I don't know why apart from new seed.  I had Fothergills last year.

One bed of Casablanca is in but nothing showing yet, two beds of Charlottes - still have one bed and 20 to plant.  Calabreses and broccoli plants are going crazy and so are the sugar snaps.  I'm a bit behind with some and not others.  Ideally I'd like someone to help but someone decided to go for a walk instead.  Someone is going to starve when I go on strike!:lol:

This week everything has gone mad. My uchiki kuri (8 seeds🙄) are all forming true leaves as are all the other squashes...ive double checked and it’s 18 squash plants... 😂

Sweetcorn is 3” high, carrots have just germinated and a few of the beetroot I showed 2 weeks ago. The soil is so dry and I’ll be glad if it does finally rain today....

runners, broad, borlotti and French beans are all up too. The peas are taking forever. They were old seed and the harvest mice on the plot love them so that could be why.....

I managed to get some broccoli and cauliflower seedlings so have potted those into bigger pots...just need to find room for them. 

Cucumbers and sweet corn all up and storming away in the greenhouse, tomatoes ready to move from the house to the greenhouse, broad beans finally showing, tall peas looking good, and the early variety of strawberries are flowering like crazy - suddenly it's all go out there - oh, and the sheep got shorn yesterday as well - 7kg of wool from 2 sheep😲

1 minute ago, Minnie&Moose said:

Cucumbers and sweet corn all up and storming away in the greenhouse, tomatoes ready to move from the house to the greenhouse, broad beans finally showing, tall peas looking good, and the early variety of strawberries are flowering like crazy - suddenly it's all go out there - oh, and the sheep got shorn yesterday as well - 7kg of wool from 2 sheep😲

Woo hoo!

Can you spare any pea plants K? I went through my seeds yesterday and put beans in to soak prior to planting straight out today (no greenhouse) and find that I have no peas! :think:

Bet the sheepies feel a lot cooler without all that lagging; what are you planning to do with it? We should Zoom again over the weekend.

Hi DM - no spare pea plants unfortunately (they're all in the ground now) but I do have spare pea seeds - can be planted through May I think - they're extra tall ones (apparently) - I'm going for the skyscraper approach to extending my vegetable growing area by going up!  You're welcome to the seeds - I can pop them in the post today/tomorrow.  Sheepies had a dose of the zoomies yesterday - I'd opened up 2 fields while I was pottering - big sheepy (not so big now!) can really shift when she wants to - it was great watching her run.  Fleeces are going off to the Isle of Lewis to be spun and woven into a rug!  Zoom over the wk/end is an excellent plan - I'll pm you.

2 minutes ago, Minnie&Moose said:

Hi DM - no spare pea plants unfortunately (they're all in the ground now) but I do have spare pea seeds - can be planted through May I think - they're extra tall ones (apparently) - I'm going for the skyscraper approach to extending my vegetable growing area by going up!  You're welcome to the seeds - I can pop them in the post today/tomorrow.  Sheepies had a dose of the zoomies yesterday - I'd opened up 2 fields while I was pottering - big sheepy (not so big now!) can really shift when she wants to - it was great watching her run.  Fleeces are going off to the Isle of Lewis to be spun and woven into a rug!  Zoom over the wk/end is an excellent plan - I'll pm you.

👍  😎

How long do runner beans tend to take to germinate? Mine have been soaked, planted and on a warm windowsill for nearly a week with no shoots. I even excavated one this morning to have a peek.....no sign of any activity. Should I give up and start another lot or is there still hope?

Edited by soapdragon
Dimwittedness

Not sure how long runner beans take SD but my broad beans took nearly 2 weeks in the greenhouse (not heated).  And the broad bean seeds that went straight into the ground took about 3 weeks to begin showing (spotted the first one this morning) - so I'd wait a bit longer if it were me.  Hope they appear very soon.