patsylabrador

Happy Summer Solstice

Unfortunately Stonehenge is fenced off Claireabella. But last time I went to the nearby circle at Avebury it wasn't, although it's nowhere near as spectacular. Still full of Japanese tourists though. The coaches started arriving at 7.00am.

I much prefer Avebury anyway. I can sympathise about the tourists; Stratford on Avon was teeming with Japanese on Saturday :roll: We have a local, and little known circle at Great Rollright; we've been up there at sunrise on the solstice before..... they had an Anish Kapoor installation that year and it looked really stunning. The view there is amazing, and the 5' high orb reflected the light and vista.

rollright-kapoor-150.jpg

rollrightskapoor1.jpg

A chap near us has something similar in his garden Dogmother. It's a giant bronze egg, highly polished and reflects the surroundings just the same as your photo. About 2 metres high I would say. Thing is, he doesn't keep chickens !?!

There are some other curious objects with holes in so perhaps it is something to do with sun alignment or something?

My last employer had an Anish in their lobby at the manor, it wasn't as big as the Rollright one, but I felt that it was completely out of place as it just reflected the hallway as opposed to nature. They are usually very large-scale, so a bit big for a regular sized garden, i will stick to hens!

We have just returned from Dorset having spent the Solstice celebrating BIL's wedding and 'do' thereafter. Beautiful little village church and reception in an old converted barn...which had rooms so we stayed over Fri and Sat (all 4 in one room - now THAT was an experience....3 times the usual snoring and *******!!! :roll::oops: its clearly a bloke thing)

Can anyone remind me, please, of the date of the next festival......I am assuming its Beltane (or is that Spring :oops: ?) Must be around the end of October? I too love Autumn and its lovely to feel it approaching - sorry to you sun worshipers!

Great Rollright is amazing and usually so quiet - Avebury is very atmospheric but I do remember that the stones are not all original or in their original place? I will Google it as there was, I am sure, some sort of 'replacing/repositioning of some of the stones?

Slightly off topic but I have always wanted to go to a Green Man Festival - I have lots dotted around the house and particularly love the Augsburgh (!) one....anyone know of anything :wink:

At Avebury someone built a house within the circle and I think some stones were removed. Sounds incredible but yes, there is a house within part of the circle. Quite a modern one as well. How planning laws have changed!!!

Thinking about it, I can see some bright Elf and Safety Bod telling all visitors to wear hard hats in case one of the stones falls on them :lol:

I came back from Latvia on Friday and they take midsummer very seriously. People leave the big cities and head for the countryside to sing and dance. They all wear head dresses and wreaths made from many different flowers. Oh and they make a special cheese fir the celebrations. You can buy it in shops but many people like to make it themselves

I grew up in Wiltshire. I used to walk across the downs from Marlborough to Avebury. I loved Avebury, West Kennet longbarrow, the settlement at Salisbury Hill, Silbury Hill, Stonehenge and the White Horse. Back then we could scramble all over them. Bad I know but magical for me. There was a village I can't remember the name of that has some quite randomly placed large stones not far from Manton. I'm remembering my bus route to school if anyone knows there it was near or at Fyfield.

I do say to OH when he thinks I'm weird that how could you not grow up a little weird surrounded by so much history - and then there are the Roman roads and Chippenham where I was born which was an important battle site for the Saxons. King Alfred escaped. London is amazing for it's history but Wiltshire is pretty cool too.

For the record I'm pretty sure the coach loads of tourists are Chinese as opposed to Japanese.