gavclojak

betty boo's got a purple comb

betty boo's got a purple comb....it seems to have happened over night. she is two and three quarter year old ex-commercial girl who has stopped laying

I am sure she spent the day in the cube yesterday, she was in when I left for work and back in when I got home but she must have popped out because she had food in her crop and this morning all the other girls came out and she stayed put until I turfed her out.

her chest sounds clear, eyes fine, no mucus from anywhere, walking normally she was eating when I left but I think they are all going in to moult for the first time, feathers everywhere...could the comb issue be a combination of non-laying and moult?

Always something to worry about!!!

Purple comb is usually the sign of an impending heart problem I'm afraid Gavclojak. The only other time I see it is when it is very cold with cockerels. Down to a lack of circulation from heart restriction/ malfunction or withdrawal of blood supply. Moulting usually results in the comb shrinking to some extent (depends on breed) and going pink as they come off lay.

Hope I am wrong!

Purple comb is usually the sign of an impending heart problem I'm afraid Gavclojak!

I knew you were going to say that, I will keep a close eye on her and take whatever steps are necessary....guess there isn't a lot that can be done for a hen with a dodgy ticker is there?

my catch phrase is now....always something to worry about!!!

I have multiple chickens who came out of coop this morning with purple-ish areas of face and comb. It wasn't as cold as it has been. But they did get ic over to my neighbors yesterday. They have 1 little inside dog. Also my daughter didnt put their water back in the pen after cleaning them last night. Any and all ideas appreciated.

21 hours ago, ChickenMom386 said:

I have multiple chickens who came out of coop this morning with purple-ish areas of face and comb. It wasn't as cold as it has been. But they did get ic over to my neighbors yesterday. They have 1 little inside dog. Also my daughter didnt put their water back in the pen after cleaning them last night. Any and all ideas appreciated.

I don’t quite understand what you mean.

What do you mean with the comment about your neighbour and the dog?

They don’t need water at night, so that shouldn’t be the issue.

Frostbite on chickens normally looks like black spots.