Egluntyne

Myths about the flu jab debunked.

OMG - I am sorry but what happens in a supermarket if you work and have to handle pork chops or alcohol and are a Muslim? You'd lose your job surely. Protecting your staff is paramount if you dont want mass sickness in the store.

Stick to your guns - I think if enough of you complain they will let you keep it. This country drives you mad pandering to silly rules.

I ask my gp every year and get told No, I am on immunosuppressant's and I have allergies to antibiotics . I have been told I can't have a flu shot.

So I run the gauntlet every year, I don't get the flu every year but when I do it isn't nice and it intensifies my joint pain something chronic, but I can't have it.

I ask my gp every year and get told No, I am on immunosuppressant's and I have allergies to antibiotics . I have been told I can't have a flu shot.

A weakened immunsystem is one of the criteria for getting free flu jabs on the NHS, so I'm surprised it's due to immunosuppressants, but the antibiotic allergies my be the real problem. Antibiotic are in the vaccine production process and there maybe some traces left in the vaccine. If you are allergic to a only a few types of antibiotic then maybe it's possible to find a flue vaccine that just uses an antibiotic that you are not allergic to. If it was only the GP's surgery staff telling you this rather than face to face with a doctor, then it might be worth getting a GP appointment to directly discuss this with your Doctor in person.

It doesn't help with Man Flu :(

:lol::lol::lol:

Never had a flu jab but have had flu 3 times in my life. Two of those were in summer! The last time was when DD was about 7 - amazingly she never had it, neither did DS. But both OH and I were floored. The time previous to that it was just me and I remember going to clean out the rabbit with a raging temperature and then the weather decided to hail stone on me!

Personally I think I'm OK health-wise so don't see the point in me having a jab - I'd rather someone susceptible or in a state of weakness to benefit instead. My mother does and that's fine - she's 86 - she had hers done last week and no side effects.

I enquired about the flu jab whilst in the supermarket the other day. Sadly due to my egg intolerance they wouldn't give me the jab (I can't eat egg unless it's in cake or similar -egg on its own makes me violently sick) . They told me to contact my GP and enquire with them about the egg free vaccine. I emailed the doctors but they didn't bother getting back to me. :roll:

Do any of the medical types on the forum know how much the egg free flu jab costs? I don't think I'm eligible for a freebie jab.

Optaflu, distributed by Novartis, is an ovalbumen free flu vaccine that is suitable for those with egg allergy. It costs about £12 as opposed to £3 (in trade prices) for the regular vaccine. You may be able to persuade your GP to order it for you and prescribe it as a private prescription.

Anyone want to know anything else about the flu jab feel free to PM me - I've just finished writing the PGDs (instructions to the nurses who have to administer it) for 16 NHS Trusts and done the first clinic, giving 80 flu vacs in 3 hours to health care workers. I think I've been asked every question about it that there is to ask - if I don't know it now, I never will! :lol:

I had to have the flu jab whilst caring for mum. Had it from 2002 til last year. However back in April 2013 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, which is the common autoimmune thyroid problem. I was very ill when I was diagnosed. I still all this time on have mobility and pain issues. I was completely deficient I vit D and very low in B12. I am now at the higher end of optimal for those and my thyroid level, TSH is suppressed which is good.

I cannot get a free jab at the doctor. The last 2 years I went to Boots. I do worry that it will effect my immune system but info about it is very sketchy. I used to get terrible bugs at least twice a year requiring antibiotics. Chest infection mostly. Since I stopped caring for mum in 2012 I think I might have had a slight cold once.

It's a worry. Some say I should have it some say not.

Is there a benefit for a (reasonably) healthy adult getting the flu jab?

If I get a cough I am prone to chest infections (such a drama queen). I am feeling pretty low in myself due to the most stressful house sale the world has ever known.

I would pay for the jab on the High Street/supermarket rather than going to the GP who have more than enough to do without me bugging them.

Opinions please :D

If you are in good health, then there is no discernible benefit to you having it. There could be a benefit to your employer if you didn't have time off due to flu, but the evidence to support that is sketchy (otherwise every employer would provide it free :wink: ) BUT the benefit lies in not spreading it to the more vulnerable in society, the elderly, children, and those who have conditions which mean that they can't have the jab, but are at higher risk of getting flu.

Pixiedust - I think your condition is one of those odd ones that isn't covered by the government list of those that should have it, hence your GP won't give it to you free (although it is supposed to be based on risk assessment, not just that you are not on the list!) It has to be your choice at the end of the day - your condition is not contraindicated for the vaccine, so you could have it.

Thank you Snowy. The doctors surgery finally got back to me and suggested I contact the travel clinic in Ipswich as they may do it. I am waiting to hear back from them. I have had post viral syndrome (or whatever they call it) so many times I really don't want to get it again. Plus I have an elderly Mother with a phobia of germs (her flat stinks of bleach and disinfectant :vom: ) she nearly goes into meltdown if I so much as sniff in her presence :roll:

Looks like my DS may have the flu. He is 6 weeks into his first term at uni. I thought that it was all going too well. He has had a temperature, shivers, sweats and a bad headache since Monday. He spent some time in bed this morning, but then went to his afternoon lecture which probably wasn't the best move for everyone else, but living in halls with shared facilities, it will get passed around anyway. He has a bad cough and has always been prone to coughs lingering around for some time.

It is a worry when he is 400 miles away, at least he has his girlfriend to look out for him, but she has a sinus infection too. I have told him to keep in touch, take paracetamol, plenty of fluids and sleep. :(

Well took the plunge today and my friend at work stabbed me in the arm!!! So far feeling ok :D:D:D:D

Well done!

My arm sometimes feels bruised for few hours - I've discovered more I move it the quicker that goes away - and that's all. Hope you've found the same.